Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Free 23andme genetic test promotion

http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-rese...estry-project/

Eligibility And Restrictions

Please carefully review the eligibility requirements for this project. Eligible individuals must:

• Have four (4) grandparents from the same sub-Saharan African country. Countries of interest include Angola, Benin, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo , Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, and Sierra Leone;

• Be at least 18 years of age;

• Have Internet access, be willing to take an online survey about ancestry and provide a saliva sample;

• Live in the United States in a state that allows 23andMe shipping.*

*Please note that we cannot ship or provide services to residents of the state of Maryland. Only one free kit per family. Family members of existing 23andMe customers are welcome to enroll in the project, but are not eligible for a free kit.
    Commercial:

I sent my application a few days ago and yesterday got a confirmation of my kit coming in the mail next week. I already pretty much know what I am, as you pretty much have to be to even be eligible for this promotion, but I'm the most interested in the health side. I also think it would be pretty sweet if they find I'm like 0.1% jewish just so I can participate in more holidays

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so excited! I've been at 23andme for a couple years now, and there is a serious lack of data about the continent of Africa. I have quite a bit of European DNA, and I know from 23andme that some of it is Irish, some of it is Romanian and some of it is Scandinavian, but I have absolutely no data about the larger chunk of sub-Saharan African dna that I have. Maybe after they are done with this promotion, we can get some more answers.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just reread the OP, and I know it seems counterproductive to take a dna test if you are from Africa and already know who you are, but so many of us who are from here in the US have no idea who we are. It would be so awesome if more people recently from Africa, who know what tribes their parents and grandparents are from were to take part in DNA tests anyway. What that does is opens up connections to people on 23andme. So if your parent parents and grandparents where all from, say, Ghana, and dna testing shows you and I to be distantly related, that means that someone in my ancestry tree was also from Ghana. You can't even begin to understand how...WOW... that information is to people here who had that information basically stolen from their family tree so long ago, who can have a more accurate view of their own personal history now. I love that 23andme is doing this. Me and some many people who post on 23andme forums wanting more answers and connections to people from Africa really appreciate the efforts!
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 12-23-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!