Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Corruption in the Workplace

Happy Holidays to Everyone!

I have been thinking about this situation at my place of work since Wednesday and I need some feedback from you all. Here it goes.

I work at a school that serves children with intellectual disabilities/special needs. Recently I learned that a teacher grabbed a student by the arm and starting shouting at him. She could have possibly pulled his arm out of the socket. The principal was giving a tour at the time and she witnessed the incident. The principal was visibly upset. Shortly after, the teacher was called to the principal's office and the teacher was sent home. After that, a few of the classroom staff were interviewed that day. The following day, the teacher returned as if nothing happened. Lastly, I learned that the teacher will be resigning in the beginning of December.

Here is just a brief description of the parties involved.

Teacher: White in early 20s. Very good friends with the principal's daughter. Worked there for about 2yrs.
    Principal: White. Very impressionable. Worked there since the school was in it's beginning stages.
    Student: Black. Non-verbal 4yrs., of age with physical & mental disabilities, and health issues.

All feedback is welcome. This post will also be in the employment section of the forum.

Thanks in advance.
    Make every moment, a teachable one.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by empowered View Post
    Happy Holidays to Everyone!

I have been thinking about this situation at my place of work since Wednesday and I need some feedback from you all. Here it goes.

I work at a school that serves children with intellectual disabilities/special needs. Recently I learned that a teacher grabbed a student by the arm and starting shouting at him. She could have possibly pulled his arm out of the socket. The principal was giving a tour at the time and she witnessed the incident. The principal was visibly upset. Shortly after, the teacher was called to the principal's office and the teacher was sent home. After that, a few of the classroom staff were interviewed that day. The following day, the teacher returned as if nothing happened. Lastly, I learned that the teacher will be resigning in the beginning of December.

Here is just a brief description of the parties involved.

Teacher: White in early 20s. Very good friends with the principal's daughter. Worked there for about 2yrs.
    Principal: White. Very impressionable. Worked there since the school was in it's beginning stages.
    Student: Black. Non-verbal 4yrs., of age with physical & mental disabilities, and health issues.

All feedback is welcome. This post will also be in the employment section of the forum.

Thanks in advance.
    Happy Holidays to you also!
    I'm not sure what you are seeking a response to or what mean by your title corruption in the workplace.
    Did you witness the incident and feel that your concerns were not heard? Or are you concerned because there has not been a public disciplinary action of the teacher?
    From what I've read, the principal responded to the incident by sending the teacher home and the teacher is resigning/losing her job this month. Of course we do not know what will be attached to her HR file if anything or if there were some mitigating reasons for her behavior that while not excusable, allowed the principle to let her resign without being more severely punished.
    Do you feel the principal based her decision on race, is this the basis of your concern?
    public.fotki.com/outremount

3. Likes Karibana liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if it's corruption however I think the principal handled it appropriately and race have no bearing. Evidently the teacher was either frustrated, didn't adhere to policy & procedure and/or not thoroughly trained. Technically you're not supposed to be rough on children, but let's be real... some educators do. But there's a special caution with children of special needs because many are not aware of their actions. The principal happens to witness while on tour, therefore she must address it. Sending the teacher home until a thorough investigation is fair. Giving the young teacher the opportunity to resign instead of firing and blemishing her career is generous.

5. Likes OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am wondering, has the teacher resigned? It is mid-December now.