Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Hair locking too close to scalp

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate any advice.
    My hair is locking too close to my scalp. This causes my scalp to feel tender and it hurts whenever I try to style my hair. It doesn’t seem to be all of the hairs in the loc that are locking too close. It appears to be just a couple of hairs within the loc. I wash my hair weekly and I wear my hair down most of the time.
    What could I do to solve this problem and relive the tension?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are you locking your hair? Are you twisting, palm rolling, interlocking or what?
    I don't see how your hair is locking itself too close to the scalp to the point of causing pain.

What ever method you are using to lock your hair, always leave some loose hair at the scalp and don't twist, palm roll or interlock your hair down to the scalp, which will also eventually cause thinning and breakage of your locks. Hope this answers your question.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually palm roll my hair (once every month) but my locs are too thick to stay palm rolled. They usually untwist after three or four days. This leaves loose hair that joins to other locs (which I have fixed). I'm thinking I have a couple of problems: 1.) since my hair becomes untwisted after a couple days I am not giving my hair enough space to loc which enables the hair to loc closer to the scalp and puts uneven stress on the hair that is in the loc. Or 2.) My hair is loced in the style I wear them in most (down) so when I try to move them in different directions my hair is already loced in place. As an example when I try to pull my hair up to put it in a ponytail it pulls the hairs too tightly but when I wear it down it feels fine. I hope I am making sense.
    Recently I switched to interlocing hoping to solve the problem of the loose hairs but it makes my scalp hurt of course.
    I am not sure how to relive the tension on my scalp.
    Thanks
    Last edited by epistyle; 12-03-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds as if the locs are marrying rather than locing too close to the scalp. Maybe you need to 'pop' your locs after washing. - This just refers to pulling them apart so that any individual hairs that are clinging to it's neigbouring loc will separate.

If you're interlocing, then leave a gap at the base of the loc rather than interlocing right up to the scalp.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I had your problem, no retight required But yeah, what Debe says makes sense. You might also try to be more careful when you grab your stray hairs to palmroll to ensure that you don't grab some hairs from another loc.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

6. Likes Claire76 liked this post
    Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Yall.@epistyle. Your situation sounds very unique. I hope what the others suggest will help you. I wonder if you have an extremely sensitive scalp that makes that discomfort you describe more apparent for you. Aside from only popping my locs when I wash my locs I try to gently run my fingers through on a regular basis to keep them from joining together. This keeps the seperating from being painful. If you have very curly coily hair those suckers start curling under immediately and need to be popped often. When I wear my loc tails I immediately pull locs loose but not out from the tail around my hairline and any areas that I can feel being pulled. That way the tail looks tight but the locs that were too tight get the freedom they need but will still look neat and in place. Then like the others said make sure you are not twisting nor interlocking tight up against your scalp. Pain is not an indication of proper technique but just the opposite. I sure hope some of these ideas work for you so you can enjoy locdom with the rest of us. Keep us posted. Peace and Blessings.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone, thanks so much for responding. I think I will take Onnica's advice and see a dermatologist to see if I have some sort of scalp condition. I really don't want to take my locs out because I love them and hate dealing with my hair being loose but I need to do what's best for the health of my hair.

I will keep you posted.

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@epistyle Hi. Wer you able to resolve the issue you were having with your scalp and the locs being uncomfortable? I hope you were able to keep your locs.
    Expect Great Things!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hair locking too close to scalp

Quote Originally Posted by epistyle View Post
    Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate any advice.
    My hair is locking too close to my scalp. This causes my scalp to feel tender and it hurts whenever I try to style my hair. It doesn’t seem to be all of the hairs in the loc that are locking too close. It appears to be just a couple of hairs within the loc. I wash my hair weekly and I wear my hair down most of the time.
    What could I do to solve this problem and relive the tension?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    I'm sure your hair looks beautiful... maybe it's shrinkage that causes it to tighten up...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics