Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BSL in 2014

Does anyone want to join me for a BSL challenge? The official start date is January 1st, this is more of a recruiting post.

The rules of the challenge are as follows:
    By January 1st please
    - Post a start picture showing current length.
    - Post your current regimen as well as your plan for the duration of the challenge.
    - Update at least once every three months. (picture updates are most welcome)

Let's grow together

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to do this. Count me in!

3. Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah sounds like a plan to me. I will like to join this challenge. Since I made APL, I just be trying to maintain....which I have for the most part. My major goal is to be BSL....my hair reaches in the back 10.5 inches... I am not to far however, with my habits I can easily lose it. often times I become neglectful

"Stop...think about...let it simmer.... The more you try to define, the more you realize that some things in this life of ours are indefinable....I am one of those people that one word can not describe me in my entirety. But if I would describe myself...it would be indefinable!"

5. Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in. I'm almost apl right now. I think I can do it!

7. Likes AStone, amourese liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I can post a picture, but today is wash day and I decided to do a quick length check before washing…The hair at the front is about 3 - 4 inches past my chin, the hair on the sides is between collarbone and APL, the hair at the back is APL.

My hair grows slowly and breaks easily. At the moment here is my routine, I'm in the process of upgrading/changing it so this may change:

1. I keep my hair under lock and key with braids *this will change because my hairline is breaking*

2. I wash once a week in braids

3. I finger comb/detangle, my method is to separate the hair and then lightly pull at it collecting the hair that slides out in the process.

4. I use 3 products: shea butter, castor oil, baobab seed oil. On dampish hair I will apply some shea butter and then add on some baobab seed and finally some castor oil. I will add extra castor oil to my ends and my edges, ideally everyday (but realistically when I remember) I will dampen my hair with just regular water.

5. I use whatever shampoo I can find (I just used up a bottle of Finesse extra body shampoo hubster left behind) and whatever conditioner that smells good (I'm currently alternating between Enliven Raspberry and Red Apple and Enliven Kiwi and Fig).

6. I always keep my hair covered with a satin scarf.

9. Likes trueimage15 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had somewhat started the challenge a bit early, right before you posted AStone. I had decided that being in a protective/low manipulation will be beneficial for length retention but my time as well ( since I am trying to finish up my master's thesis in biology). I had installed mini twists last Sunday. I have decided to do a mini-twist challenge over the span of at least 6 months. That is a big goal for me. I have never had a challenge such as that. But since I had embark on Dee's no comb no brush challenge my hair has been better in general. IF I see breakage mostly comes from my ends. I am also in the see and destroy mode. Just the night before last I trim from one-eighth of an inch to about half in few places.

The routine I plan to follow ( it is still under construction):
    1. 1x a month wash/clarify with shampoo At the moment, I am currently looking for a great shampoo. I think I am going to get the tgin shampoo. I been hearing great things via blogs and vlogs.
    2. Moisturize daily with my Oyin hair dew or as often as I need it.
    3. Seal with Burnt Sugar pomade
    4. Deep condition with Camille rose naturals Algae Deep conditioner
    5.Keep Finger detangling
    6. Keep myself in this mini-twist challenge I am embarking upon, therefore every 3-4 weeks twists take them down wash and condition thoroughly and reinstall
    *Note: Number 2 and 3 are used for my initial twisting for my mini twists

My hair lengths ranges from 7 inches to 10.5 inches >.< hopefully I can change that. IF I can manage to retain 3-4 inches at the minimum Ill be thrilled!!!!!! But who knows. 2013 was a year in which I tried new things and found those which worked best and that didn't work. I wanted Shea Moisture to work so bad but then again my hair was like time to move on even when I started it freshly wash hair. Hair Dew has my hair moisturize like I haven't felt in a while so I am keeping it. Quality!!!! I think I will dip my hand in tgin duo or maybe another shampoo maybe Bee-mines

"Stop...think about...let it simmer.... The more you try to define, the more you realize that some things in this life of ours are indefinable....I am one of those people that one word can not describe me in my entirety. But if I would describe myself...it would be indefinable!"

11. Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wishing you ladies much growth & minimal breakage in 2014!!

13. Thanks AStone, trueimage15 thanked for this post
    Likes AStone, amourese liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about to have a set back, my ends feel crunchy so I'll do a trim... I think I'm looking to lose about 2 - 3 inches all around. Not sure what caused this though :S

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://instagram.com/p/fTHYl0uT7B/

The above pic was taken 2 months ago.
    I'm going to continue using the Crown & Glory Method to retain length.

I self-install braids or twists with Xpressions hair. I co-wash weekly. I mist them with leave-in conditioner daily or as needed. After about 3 weeks, I redo my hairline. I keep them in for about 6 weeks, usually.

I take them down and detangle one by one, so that I'm not overwhelmed. Then I wear my own hair for a couple of days, until I have time to re-install. Before doing that, I may deep-condition and thread my hair to stretch.

If I get tired of braids & twists with extensions, I may start bunning. Co-wash, moisturize and seal, stretch, bun. Then maybe wear an "out" style twice a week.

*finger-detangling only*
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

16. Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to join this challenge (I am in several others lol) but 2013 has been a very frustrating and challenging year for me as far as length retention is concerned. My hair is various length right now due to my current hair loss issues (saw a dermatologist recently but idk...was prescribed topical meds for my scalp so I will see) but the longest parts of my hair is only a couple of inches from apl so bsl is possible if I could get my hair in order. I prefer "out" styles (braid or twist out) for a full look and I needed to be able to get to my scalp so I haven't been protecting my hair for several weeks but need to go back to twists since the cold is doing a number on my fragile strands. Here is my proposed regime (starting this weekend):

-small two strand that I will redo maybe twice a month. I have to cleanse my scalp at least once a week (right now more than that due to topical med/shampoo) so I will have to figure out a way to wash scalp/condition hair with twists in without resulting in a hot tangled mess.
    -moisture twist daily or as needed (my homemade moisturizer consist of vatika coconut oil, jbco, aloe vera gel and water) and seal ends with oil
    -rub "troubled spot" on my scalp with jbco (this areas are primarily in the back)
    - no combing other than parting if needed

So far that it is. I just need to keep routine simple and do everything possible to minimize tangles and knots (tangles and knots=breakage). I will probably alternate between twists and twistouts when I am bored but for the winter I will try and keep the twists in. I will post pics asap
    Yet another natural hair journey...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shell98/

18. Likes trueimage15, AStone liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast