Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HELP: How to Make a Braid-Out Last Longer?

i did a braid out recently and I loved the results. I like the results better than the twist out. I put my hair in about 15 braids and slept in it, took it out and the following day, it looked nice. The only problem is, it took too much time for me to do it and take the braids out. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can make the braid-out last longer and also how I can shorten the styling time itself?

Plus, I ordered this product from etsy and I am hoping it will help in styling my hair, does anyone have any other product suggestions??

product:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/beijaflores

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back when I had loose hair and did twist/braid outs, I'd put my hair in large plaits at night and then finger combed it out in the morning. Not 15 plaits, maybe 5-6 plaits. And I didn't put any products in my hair.

As for styling, I don't know what you mean by too much time, it would seem to me that making 15 plaits would take maybe 30 mins to do and hardly any time to undo. My guess is you are new at doing your hair and don't have dexterity yet. As you get more practice you will get faster

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

3. Likes OHR liked this post
    Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to make a braid-out last

Hi. When I do my braid-outs I make it last by putting it in a pineapple at night. To do a pineapple bend over and loosely use a scrunchy or a band to secure your hair on top of your head.Now you can sleep on it and your style should hold for at least a few more days. Don't forget a silk or satin scarf tied loosely. After a few days it may start to flatten out. You can then just loosely rebraid and start over. Hope it helps. Keep us posted. Peace and Blessings.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You didn't mention whether or not you did your braids on dry, damp, or wet hair. For me, dry braid-outs don't last long at all. I use them for stretching my hair, but they give me no lasting definition. If I want a defined braid-out, I get the best results from damp (not soaking wet) hair lightly coated in moisturizing product and sealant. This will usually last me 3 or more days when I use a satin bonnet nightly. Sometimes I spritz my hair and re-braid at night with or without product, and I then can get a week out of the style.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do my braidouts and twistouts on 80-90% dry hair, and use a product with hold. Like Elasta QP Mango butter or Eco Styler Gel.

One tip I have is not to separate once the style is set. Once I've undone my braids/twists, I leave them alone. I just massage my roots to hide any parts.

This way I get more than one day out of it. And it's low manipulation, b/c I don't redo it at night. I just use my satin pillow case.

As time passes, the hair will get bigger on its own.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh - in regards to shortening styling time, I typically do 15 - 20 braids (or plaits) for a braid out, and it rarely takes me longer than 15 minutes to take them down in the morning. I usually put oil on my fingertips to decrease frizzing before and several times during the take down. After taking them down, I just shake to separate a little - I don't separate each section from the braid, because they usually work themselves apart as the day progresses. I then put on a headband or other hair accessory and I'm done. No more than 20 minutes most braid-out days.

If you are doing more than that, then you should just figure out which steps are causing the extra time, and assess if all of what you're doing is necessary or not.

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some odd reason My loc braid-outs look like a Jeri curl when I use product.LOL So I just do mine while slightly damp. It still holds for about a week if I use the pineapple method.@Mynaturalbee Let us know how the ideas work out for you. Peace and Blessings.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what works best for me is :
    - freshly washed/conditioned/detangled hair
    - putting on a LIGHT leave in (i use a combo of redken anti snap and qhemet MTDG)
    - using a setting lotion like lottabody
    - braiding 10-15 sections, sectioning off according to how you want the braid out to lay
    - letting hair dry overnight
    - in case my hair is still wet in the morning, i will use the blowdryer to dry
    - put a little qhemet heavy cream on my hands for taking down the braids
    - dont separate, just use fingers to gently style.

depending on the humidity level i can get a good 12 hours of crisp braidout. for next day i put in braids overnight but these can be a bigger sections