Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Transitioning from Locs to Loose Natural Hair

All - I have been natural for a long, long time. I currently have Sisterlocks, have had them for 4 years, and I am in the process of growing out my locs. This means I am not getting them retightened, and at some point I will get the Sisterlocks cut off. Hence I am transitioning from locs to loose natural hair.

I am looking for advice. Most people that go down this path have traditional locs - they either take them down or grow them out. I have yet to find a community that is growing out Sisterlocks. I have not retightened since 21 Sep 2013, and plan to transition for at least a year if I am patient enough. I have new growth, and the new growth periodically gets tangled. I considered taking the Sisterlocks down, but they are so small, with more than 400 locs, it will take me forever. So, I've decided to just grow them out.

My concern is that as I grow out my locs, is my loose hair strong enough to hold up my locs? This may sound crazy but with Sisterlocks we are encouraged to get them retightened on a regular basis. Does anyone have any experience with growing out locs? I'm looking for a buddy. I feel all alone in this process.

Thanks, Deb

Last perm: 1 Jul 04
    BC: 31 Dec 04

2. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right to be concerned, I experienced stress on the point of new growth demarkation when I went 2.5 inches between tightening once with my first set of BLs. Because everyone's hair is different, it will depend on your texture and care. I definitely suggest that you moisturize, moisturize, moisturize and treat your new growth just like it were loose natural hair (regardless of the locs) and forget the loc care rules of build up etc. Since you're cutting them off any way-baby the new growth. Please keep us posted on your progress!
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 01-13-2014 at 10:51 AM.

4. Thanks salettad thanked for this post
    Likes salettad, gigglezk liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much! i am thinking of cutting my locs to mid neck length. I had them cut a while back to make it easier to care for them. They are a little pass my shoulders now, and they feel light, not heavy. i read a post on here today that said not retightening or palm rolling had the same affect as free forming. I hope not. Thanks for your advice on the new growth. Going on 17 weeks (about 4 months) without retightening. keeping this process in my prayers as well!

6. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always latched as well. I also cut my waiste lengthed locs back to shoulder length; however, I picked them out. I still had hair stretch down to my belly button upon take down. SL are fragile and as long as you carefully separate the roots and moisturize, practice protective styles, you should be fine.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you wear your hair now? What condition was your hair in after taking the locs down. I was concerned I would loose a lot of hair in the process.

Do you have advice on protective styles?

9. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sure hope other un-lockers will jump in as well!

…however i have blogs that should answer all your specific questions to me. It's about the only thing I update anymore that's hair related: http://sisterlockedknots.blogspot.com
    http://therealknottytruth.blogspot.c...5c271bddee9bc1

There's a lot of protective styles I do..Chan and others here should be able to help you.
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 01-18-2014 at 12:09 PM.