Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Should i start again ?

Hello, I used to lurk a lot but haven't been here in a while, it's nice to be back
    I've got a loose curl pattern and after a lot of research i decided to go with comb coils ( i did them with my fingers and put them in bantu knots rather than clips but pretty much the same thing)I've had my locks for 1 years and 5 months now and i thought they'd be fully locked at about a year but i still have so many locks that are only locked a couple of inches at the bottom. I think it's because these are the ones on the thinner side compared to some others would have locked up nicely.

I'm basically frustrated at the lack of progress, at a year i thought ' give it a few months, they'll have made some progress by then' but it really feels like they haven't. My hair, the ones that have locked, are about a third of the length so i have like extreme layers. I've been feeling dissatisfied recently and been thinking about just starting again by backcombing them. I think my hair needs like a kick start. However, i'm reluctant as i feel like it's a waste of 1yr and 5months and they'll be pretty funky looking if i do backcomb.

Do i wait it out or comb them out? I want to post pics but i couldn't find a thread explaining how ?

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lafoule View Post
    Hello, I used to lurk a lot but haven't been here in a while, it's nice to be back
    I've got a loose curl pattern and after a lot of research i decided to go with comb coils ( i did them with my fingers and put them in bantu knots rather than clips but pretty much the same thing)I've had my locks for 1 years and 5 months now and i thought they'd be fully locked at about a year but i still have so many locks that are only locked a couple of inches at the bottom. I think it's because these are the ones on the thinner side compared to some others would have locked up nicely.

I'm basically frustrated at the lack of progress, at a year i thought ' give it a few months, they'll have made some progress by then' but it really feels like they haven't. My hair, the ones that have locked, are about a third of the length so i have like extreme layers. I've been feeling dissatisfied recently and been thinking about just starting again by backcombing them. I think my hair needs like a kick start. However, i'm reluctant as i feel like it's a waste of 1yr and 5months and they'll be pretty funky looking if i do backcomb.

Do i wait it out or comb them out? I want to post pics but i couldn't find a thread explaining how ?
    If the locs aren't working for you and you are frustrated with the result there is no shame in starting again and trying a different method. No time spent on your locs is a waste - it is all a learning experience!

If you want to persist with what you have, I recommend you visit a loctician who may be able to latch your locs or give you a method that will improve them considering your looser pattern.

3. Thanks shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Dee. Given your texture, interlocks, braidlocs or any tool assisted/created locs (i.e. sisterlocks, nappylocs, etc) are your best option.

I also feel the need due to the serious myth and misconception to say that tool created locs and interlocs will not break your hair off. Any type of locs, no matter the size or how they are created or maintained ,if maintained too tight or two often can cause issues.

ETA: There is no timeline or exact time when your locs should be loced by. Some people loc up in several months, some, like my self took a couple of years. Concentrate on keeping your hair healthy and reveal in the fact that you have get up and go hair. Relax and enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by Fuesha; 02-05-2014 at 01:56 PM.

5. Thanks shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Likes YuYu liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a looser curl pattern as well. I've had my locs for a little over 3 years. Everything you are going through sounds very normal and natural, and it's just a waiting game right now.

when my locs were a year old, they were extremely funky looking. some had expanded and locked and so where really short and fat. others hadn't expanded yet, hadn't locked, and were still long and skinnier. It was around 18 months up to 2 years that I really started to like them again. I think that if you wait it out, you will probably end up with what you are imagining, but it just requires more patience with looser curl patterns.

It sounds like you have some buds forming. For some people, especially lots of people with looser textures, the buds tend to form in the middle of the loc instead of at the ends. a lot of people with loose textures end up with locs from around midddle of the loc up, with curly cues on the end.

I'd also investigate latching/interlocking. I do mine myself and have never been to a loctician. You can check out youtube. It takes a learning curve, but I find it to be fairy easy now that I know how.

but you don't have to do them that way. all hair will loc, with plenty of patience. It just takes a little more time for some.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!

7. Thanks shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly enough they were forming more at the end that in the middle. It always seemed to be bottom up. and none of the ends were curly, they were solidly loced

I basically took a few out to backcomb them to get them a headstart, and i did not like what i saw in the core. So i decided to comb them all out, it took about a week of just doing it in the evening that all day over the weekend. My hands were dead at the end.

Atm they are just in two stand twists. I was planning to put them back in asap but i'm slightly obsessed over the curls atm. Before I never really appreciated my hair at all and had gone most of my life wanting straight hair. So i'm apprehensive to start locing again .

However i'm pretty sure backcombing and crocheting a bit ( normally used on straight textured hair) will work better for me. I had a few left that i start this way and they started looping a few weeks in. My hair seems to loop rather than bud ? I think methods geared towards straighter hair textures are going to work for me. I think as it took such a long time for them to get established it give them more opportunity to get lint embedded. Also i think i had product build up as well, the core of a lot of them smelt funny. So with this set i will focus on rinsing far more than i did before.

Coal black locks - i wish i had read this earlier lol. However in the end i think it was the right decision for me. I'm going to sort of some of the parts - make them smaller- and really make sure i use less product and rinse them properly.

9. Thanks shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go with your INSTINCTS. its you who is rocking that fierce look at the end of the day. If its not working try a new method...I agree!

11. Thanks shortycocoa thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Should i start again ?

just have fun... it's taking a while for my hair to grow... pics help see whose hair is similar... have you ever tried products that help with locing? like something with sea salt spray...

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Should i start again ?

No need, water is the best. Sea salt can precipitate, leaving salt that will show up as grey/build up later. It works, but not necessary and can complicate things. Water works just as well without any assistance. Just spritz as often as you like.
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science