Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I remember when...

You know, as I think back to the year 2003 (roughly when I found this board despite the fact that it says that I joined in 2010) I just can't help reminiscing over all that I used to DO in regards to MY hair. I used to eagerly log on and read the latest hair product review, anxious to run out and purchase the latest "holy grail" that promised to deliver "soft" or "detangled" hair. I used to spend a LOT of time in the hair product aisles. I used to spend a LOT of money on new products. I USED TO long for longer hair. I used to spend a lot of time trying to get my hair to "do" things. I used to pick/comb my dry hair. I used to try to maintain the "perfect" fro. I used to start threads about "giving up". I used to be frustrated with my hair. I used to try to convert others to "natural".

It's funny when I think about it, because these days my hair just really isn't that big a deal. I have a routine, but it's so simple it's laughable. I no longer own numerous products. It basically just comes down to shampoo for me. My hair feels great and is retaining length, though shrinkage hides it very well. I don't try to convert anyone, I just wear my hair with pride. I'm no longer frustrated, I'm fascinated. Each time I look in the mirror, I love my little carpet (my daughter's description) fro.

I am raising a daughter who loves her fro as well. It's so liberating! She's 14 and she wears her fro to school with pride! She likes the perfect fro look, too. I keep it shaped up for her.

In short, I'm very happy with my hair.

I'd be happy to hear what YOU remember and what you've learned. Also wanted to add that I'm not knocking any of that stuff, just sharing things I've learned and what I FEEL has changed for the better FOR ME.

~Be blessed!
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Gilroygal - I have fixed up your join date so now you have the veteran status you deserve.

I'm with you. Up until I had my accident last July, my hair had been no big deal for a while. But once I had to chop and go back to almost a baldie, it became a big deal all over again. I think the knowledge we gained from those early days, especially when there wasn't anything else online except for NP were so valuable to us. It's kind of like being thrown straight on a bike without training wheels first.

What I love about your post is that you mention how your daughter is so proud of her hair. That is HUGE to me because it says that the next gen is up and coming - if your daughter is now 14 she was little more than a toddler in 2003 when NP started That makes me all warm and fuzzy.

~Dee~

3. Thanks gilroygal thanked for this post
    lea23 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    East Coast via MidWest... it is pop dangit
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too remember being all up in the hair aisles trying to determine what would work for my hair.
    I remember wanting longer hair (and now that I have longer hair, I am considering cutting it again)
    I remember being super excited when I first BC and how I was hoping others would follow suit (my sister did a long transition and I am happy for her since everyone is different and needs to process differently)

I have a simple routine as well but I could probably do more in the moisturize category, but I figure as long as it is clean I can stick with my four braids pulled into a bun style and wash weekly/bi-weekly.

Great topic
    Last CFC: June 15th 2007
    BC: Aug. 4th 2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread! I remember transitioning and feeling like the new growth was so dry and wiry. One of the first products I bought was Do-grow hair oil and I remember putting so much on, I had oil dropping down my face all the day!!

I remember buying lots of products, especially the really pricey ones and justifying it by saying at least I'm spending less than I did on a relaxer, even though now I realize $60 for a moisturizer with crappy ingredients is ridiculous.

I also remember being excited for a chance to do a "twist out" that I read so much about online.

I remember big chopping and genuinely loving my hair for the first time.

I have a two year old. And it's funny how early they notice things. I remember her seeing a lady on TV with straight hair then doing a double take back at me. She knows our hair is different and beautiful and that her hair is like mommy's.

6. Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember when....

I used to use Pantene Relaxed and Natural shampoo & conditioner.

I used to comb my coils out into 4 puffs with one of those cheap-behind wide tooth combs.

Little broken pieces of hair would come out with every detangling session.

Then I'd spray Motions leave in conditioner on it. And apply so much evoo that it dripped down my neck like sweat. Not a good look.

All this mess...circa 2005.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

8. Thanks gilroygal thanked for this post
    Likes gilroygal liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can also remeber wanting my hair to be like others, whether it was length or texture. Now I can say that I can admire someone else's hair without feeling that my own is somehow inferior. I used to worry that something was "wrong" with me because my hair didn't grow long or that perhaps I was "doing" something wrong. I used to look at people who had curly hair and think they had it easy. Now, I think I have the easiest hair on the planet!

10. Likes lea23, mramsey, deminapia, Serbbral liked this post
    lea23 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    East Coast via MidWest... it is pop dangit
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilroygal View Post
    I can also remeber wanting my hair to be like others, whether it was length or texture. Now I can say that I can admire someone else's hair without feeling that my own is somehow inferior. I used to worry that something was "wrong" with me because my hair didn't grow long or that perhaps I was "doing" something wrong. I used to look at people who had curly hair and think they had it easy. Now, I think I have the easiest hair on the planet!
    I absolutely adore the bolded statement. I am happy that you are truly happy with your hair. I agree that I used to also believe that other's with longer hair or different textures were enviable, but I have grown and came a long way and have learned to appreciate my hair as it is...beautiful and unique
    Last CFC: June 15th 2007
    BC: Aug. 4th 2007

12. Likes gilroygal liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a cool thread gilroygal!

I remember...
    when I had the patience to spend hours doing mini braids now I'm too lazy to even twist it
    my multiple tried and failed attempts at locking
    when I used to turn my nose up at women with relaxers (I was an ultra nappy snob when I first BC'd)
    wash & go's fondly
    When I would chop all my hair off when it got to 6"
    BC: 12.4.06

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frophistifunk View Post
    This is a cool thread gilroygal!

I remember...
    when I had the patience to spend hours doing mini braids now I'm too lazy to even twist it
    my multiple tried and failed attempts at locking
    when I used to turn my nose up at women with relaxers (I was an ultra nappy snob when I first BC'd)
    wash & go's fondly
    When I would chop all my hair off when it got to 6"

I used to do this as well. Now I just feel that people are free to make their own decisions and I don't really worry about it all that much. I DO admire natural hair when I see it, though.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Hey, I found this site in 2005 and went natural in 2006, can I have veteran status also? I haven't posted in FOREVER!

I remember when I used to make all these homeade recipes. I would buy every oil in Whole Foods and I followed every regimen to a T, always trying to have the perfect twistout.

I also remember when i first went natural how hard and brillo-y my hair felt and how I didn't like it and went and got a texturizer. A month later, I shaved it all off. Then I let it grow out and haven't looked back since.

Now, I don't even have the time to deal with my hair everyday, I just spritz and go. I embrace the frizz and the napps.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast