Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ♥ Nappy Random Sentiments for the Soul ♥

Carry on, ladies!!!

In the last thread, Astone said:
    ^^ That works too lol.
    Hmm mid-sfat knots everywhere, this is not good but I'm not particularly bothered either. I just have to take the time to slowly work them all out, I have the whole of this month to do so.I've started wearing a bun but I wonder if I'll be able to sleep with my hair bunned or if every night or so I'll need to braid my hair before bed…?? I don't want to do a lot of manipulation although I love the look of the bun.Also I've become a bit of a show off with my hair, I can't help it I am super excited to have it out for a change and at it's current length it looks huge. I like it when people are surprised that my hair is real, I especially like it when they realize I am a true 4c and that I am not mixed…so far nobody believes me when I tell them that they too can grow like me but at least I am living proof that it's possible and I'm not even one of the long haired 4c's out there. BSL+ is long, I'm not even there yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking, the other day, about women who are into hair care, and their jobs. Some of us have jobs where we don't have to wear hats (or headgear is prohibited). Then there are the non-corporate jobs where you can be rocking Celie braids under a beanie and no one would be the wiser.....

But what about those jobs (like fast food) that require you to wear caps /visors? The putting on and taking off of such atrocious headgear causes friction and can mess up your edges. I'm talking traction alopecia. My edges falling out would just not be an option.

And I'll tell you what I did, a few years back. I happened to work at a place just like that. From Day 1, I tied a satin scarf onto my head before putting on the cap. That way, my edges would be protected! The guy who hired me saw it from day 1, and never said a thing.

I didn't ask.

Why ask? You're just going to draw attention to yourself.

Another guy who worked there had fairly long, thick locs. He stayed wearing his durag. And no one said a word.

Again, this was not a corporate setting. It was a fast food place.

You really couldn't tell I had anything extra on, unless you were honing in on the back of my head... o.O But the guy with locs wore his in a way that you could see the durag.

Some may consider it vain. But I'm not about to lose my edges for some job. What's important to me first and foremost is my family. All other things, including secular work come second. How loyal are places of employment? You could be the best worker they have today, and not have a job tomorrow...(That, though, is another story...)
    Last edited by CoilyHairedBeauty; 03-05-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ My work place allows for headgear if it's head scarves (hats and the like are not allowed however) and I do the same thing underneath my scarf, I always have a satin scarf covering my hair and the head scarf over my satin one.

Since yesterday I've started something new, a 24/7 baggy on my ends. I've basically wet the part of my hair that comes after my hair band and then put a small plastic bag over the hair which I then secure by tucking it into the hair band. Therefore, my ends are constantly moisturized, I am hoping this will help protect my ends and keep them strong.

If I see no ill effects I'll do this for the rest of the month, only changing where I tie the headband so as not to stress my strands….alternating from a high to low bun, side bun on either side and the like.

3. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been trying not to get paranoid, but

My crown is 1-2 inches shorter than the rest of my hair. I think it's just the way I had bc'd it. Or maybe it grows slower.

There isn't anything I'm doing that would cause breakage...

Gonna keep an eye on it. I'd like my hair to be longer on top, as opposed to having longer layers on the bottom.

Makes for a cute WnG shape.

When I reach my short term goal length, I'm going to trim it that way.
    /

5. Likes AStone liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two tries with the VO5 Shea Cashmere conditioner and I'm done...After finding actual mats in my hair I broke down, bought a pair of combs and a bottle of AVJ, and spent 45 minutes last night combing out enough shed hair and knots to create a ball about the size of a small orange. My hair's now in 10 plaits and I'm about to take them down and (probably) put it up in a bun. If I have time (I doubt I will but I can always hope) I might put it in twists.

I've now been to several other drugstores and dollar stores looking for Free Me Freesia conditioner. The vast majority only carry about four varieties, only one of which (Kiwi Lime Squeeze) isn't pink or yellow. IF I go back to the WNG while I'm away from home I'm sticking with my trusty HE HH.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

7. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty, mramsey liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm proud of myself from following through on my personal challenge. It was to: not rely on headbands/puffs after my second bc.

Wearing a WnG helps me to appreciate shrinkage, and just to feel more comfortable letting my hair be totally free.

Years ago, wearing my hair, fully shrunken would've been daunting. Self-consciousness would've overcome me.

The more I do it, the more comfortable I am. And now, it's just whatever.
    Last edited by CoilyHairedBeauty; 03-09-2014 at 12:11 AM.
    /

9. Thanks mramsey thanked for this post
    Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vegas trip was AMAZING! But my hair is a hot mess. I've been pretty neglectful with my bun habits...not sure what to do anymore. If I go the twist route, I'll have to re-do them weekly or bi-weekly to keep them neat. Which really isn't as big a hassle as I make it sound, but buns...are...so...EASY. *sigh* Gotta do it if I don't want to lose my hair to breakage...

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what many seasoned wash & go wearers suggest for preserving your style:

-Make sure hair is dry before going to bed
    -Sleep with your hair in a pineapple
    -Sleep with your hair in a low ponytail
    -Refresh in the morning by applying a moisturizer, oil, and more of your styler

My reality: Pineapples just don't work. And a low ponytail would stretch out and disfigure my coils. Adding more product in the morning? Works with conditioner-only, but I don't want to use my fave co-wash for that. Dollar bills just flowing down the drain, lol. Add more gel on top of gel? No way. I can't with flakes and hair as hard as cinder blocks.

What worked for me:
    - Went to sleep on my 100% dry WnG completely free and loose
    -Next morning, I let steam from the shower "wake up" my coils
    -Dampened hands with water and smoothed over hair. Everything fell into place.

That's it! No Additional product required. Looks like first day hair!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I've decided to use a small amount of cones in my hair I've noticed less shedding and breakage BUT (and this is big for me, because it wasn't a problem before) my hair seems to have become a lint magnet .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The longer my hair gets, the less I seem to know what to do with it. Especially in this cold weather. I wish spring would hurry up and get here so I can just wear my hair out
    BC: 12.4.06

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combed out the mid-shaft knots, ye Gods that hurt! I don't know what caused them but I hope to never get them again of course I lost a good chunk of hair….perhaps I need another trim??

The baggy was fun but it made my hair shrink so much I couldn't bun it anymore, and after a few hours the liquid would start to smell funny…not a good look. That's tabled for now.

My hair is shorter in some areas compared to last month =( I must be doing something wrong
    Last edited by AStone; 03-11-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast