Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Protein sensitivity?

Is this a real thing? What are the symptoms? What are some good products to use for protein sensitive hair? I have low porosity hair as well. What are some ingredients to watch out for?

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes It's real. Some hair reacts worse than others. Mine is in between... I can tolerate low levels of protein but I have to be very careful or my hair will break. If you can check the ingredients, you will see "protein" such as wheat protein in the ingredients. If you are sensitive to protein you will most likely also be sensitive to silicones, so beware of anything with "cone" in the name.

3. Likes CCmomof5 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree 100% with Dee - it's definitely a real thing. An Aphogee treatment once wreaked HAVOC on my hair that took me weeks to undo. Later, I tried a cholesterol treatment that also left my hair hard and brittle. After I educated myself, I avoided protein like the plague for years - and my hair was fine. However I recently discovered that my hair can handle lower levels of protein, so I'm not totally against it, but I have to be aware and use light protein-containing products (only those with protein being sixth or lower on the ingredient list) very sparingly - or for pre-poo detangling/conditioning which will be washed out.

Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. In addition to the comments made about protein I was told years ago that a protein treatment should always be followed immediately with a rich creamy conditioner and that will prevent the dry and brittle results you will get with straight-up protein. It worked for me. I eventually started using creamy protein conditioners and did one conditioning treatment instead of two. I was also informed that protein is not nessasarily needed for natural hair unless the person is using permanent color. That maybe the reason CCmomo went without protein for years and her hair was fine. Natural hair does not need extra protein the way chemically processed hair does. There is protein in almost all the hair care products now. I think it's plenty of choices out there now without doing protein treatments to have healthy natural hair.It's easy to be sensitive to it cause we are bombarded with it now but it's not the be all and end all of having beautiful healthy hair. Peace and Blessings.

6. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are experiencing excessive shedding it may be time for a protein treatment. Some protein treatments are more gentle than others but as mention above. If you follow-up with a moisturizing dc, you should be fine. I have low porosity hair most with low porosity say they do not need protein but I do. Without it my hair would be over-moisturized.