I'm thinking about switching to this career. I have serious anxiety issues that have had a significant impact on my work life. Thank GOD I work for the government or else I would have been fired years ago. I desperately need to get out of customer service (I have raging social anxiety), but it is all I've done my adult life. I go back to school to finish my MBA in June, but I don't have any inclination to use it in any capacity that would require me to interact with others.

I have had a traumatic decade and really need to reposition myself in a lifestyle that would allow me to focus on treatment and healing. I need a WAH job that is not customer service and I can make a living. I've been doing some research and found that, not only is, medical billing and coding something I can do full-time from home, it is also on the verge of expanding as an industry.

I fear the prospect of leaving my secure government job, but I really need to find something more fitting to my dispostion. I have done some work at home, but I didn't care for it because it was like call center work and it was customer service. I want to know if medical billing and coding done at home is like that of a call center where you are tethered to a phone or if it is more fluid where you get your assignments and you basically work your own schedule. I want to know the pros and cons of being an employee versus a contractor. Are there quotas involved?

Anyone with information about this field, please chime in. I would appreciate any information you can give.