Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yearly pics

Hello, fellow locers, I haven't forgotten about yall. For whatever reason, I find it difficult to post since they changed the new forum.I've had my locs for over 3 years now. I usually post pics once per year, but at my 3rd yearly mark back in October/November, my old camera was iffy, and I was suffering from severe laziness, so I didn't post anything.Recently I was able to get a really nice new camera complete with tripod and remote, so what better time than to post a 3 year 5 month old springtime loc update?

i have some issues with my locs. first they are very uneven, which has gotten slightly less noticeable with length, but not much. second, when my locs budded, they formed extremely stiff tight bunching wide clumps at the ends of many of them, making it difficult to latch and to braid. I've had a bit of buildup in some at the ends, which is why I picked some a loose at the ends, and I also experimented with color on a select few locs, overbleached, and now those locs won't hold onto color for long, leading to the faded spots.So I'm going to cut them soon very soon into a style, to get rid of some of these misgivings. I want a bob and I feel like I need bangs. We'll see. I also want to do a color, but I'm having a professional do it this time. But I just wanted to post a length update before cutting.thanks for looking! (Also, any suggestions as far as color or cuts style suggestions for thick locs would be greatly accepted. I'm having trouble with whether or not to get layers or something blunt. Sometimes with thick locs, unevenness is much more evident than with thinner locs, so I'm unsure about layers, and I've been having a hard time finding much information or pictures about cutting thick locs into a style.)
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 04-12-2014 at 05:50 AM.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My locs aren't anywhere near as thick as yours, but I didn't a layered bob a couple years ago. I think one work for you as well. Your locs look great to me though Congrats on 3 years

3. Likes coalblacklocs liked this post
    Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. Your locs look really good. Only you know the issues. I hope you find a cut you will enjoy. The layers will create a fuller apperance(bigger hair). Big styles are popular now but you may want to consider it before you cut. Peace and Blessings.

5. Likes coalblacklocs liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I think my hair is already big enough, LOL, maybe I'll opt out of the layers, then.

This is probably a weird "thing", but one of the few things that I dislike about larger locs is that you can see through the gaps between them where they fall at the neck. To me, it's a very thin, stringy undesirable look. Mine were like that, and they stayed like that for a long time because some of the locs on the top of my head were so short that they didn't reach my shoulders yet. i was so glad when those top locs grew long enough to my shoulders and made it so you couldn't "see through" my locs around my neck as much any more.

That's kinda why I don't want layers that are too short, because I DEFINITELY don't want to have to start over again with very short top locs and gappy spacey neck locs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone. @coalblacklocs I never thought of the gaps and see through locs at the neck would be an issue for peeps with thicker locs. I have very small locs and I have that same issue. I do not wear my locs without at least some degree of curl to them. I cannot stand that spacey stringy look. Ugh! My curls fill in the gaps very well and I always liked my hair curly so it works out fine. I do like the way locs look when they are worn straight down without curls on others. I hope to sport that look one day soon. I am now in the process of cutting off 1/2 an inch a month this year until all my permed ends are no more. That should solve the issue. This is a horrible Avatar pic but I cut off the ends of my locs with the frame because I could see my sky blue bath robe through the ends. Again that spacey look. The pic looks like a blob of black ink to me. My locs are not defined at all. Oh,well. Anyhoo, I hope you find a suitable style that you will enjoy wearing. Peace and Blessings.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the opposite. I thought that having a lot of tiny locs meant that there were more locs there to fill those spaces and gaps, as opposed to larger locs, where there are fewer locs there to fill in the gaps, and even less when the top locs are so short that they haven't even reached the neck yet. It's funny how some things that you don't expect end up being issues regardless of loc size. Anyway ,I'm so glad someone else knows what I'm talking about, It's so hard to explain.

the stuff buds in the ends and some middles my locs make it difficult to set. Curls are impossible, but I can get waves with braids a little easier. I have snipped a couple locs for various reasons, and the ones that I snipped are SO much easier to set. The stiff bunching bud part is gone, and they are much more pliable, and I could see it being easier to wrap them around something and pin them so that they stay.

I'm still himming and hawing about cutting. It took so long to get that length, (to me anyway, other people said it grew fast) and I had the ugly stage where I was waiting and waiting for those top locs to get longer. I'm having to keep reminding myself that it seemed to take longer to see length because it did a LOT of shrinking first, and once it finally got done shrinking, I started to see a lot more length faster, and that the whole "locking" phase is behind me, plus that the issues with the top locs won't be at play this time, since they'd be the same length as the rest, so it won't be like starting all over again.

But i think i'm going to definitely at least do bangs.
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 04-14-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your locs are gorgeous. I almost envy you/them.

Just beautiful they are.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I simply saw beautiful locs when I opened this thread. I have yet to see anyone who has locs that are the same length, unless they cut them. I like the way locs have different lengths, like a bit layered.
    Mine shrunk significantly as well. Iīm 2 yrs 4 months locked now.
    Good luck, whatever you decide.
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Locīd Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi @ Uzuri I am 2 yrs and 4 months also. I started with probably close to 400 tiny stringy ugly SL's. My head looked like Linus one of the Charlie Brow characters. I was sad. My loctician kept telling me they would thicken and look better but I did not see anything short of a miracle or combining my locs helping with my stringy mess. I combined and they are still really small but as she said they did also thicken up. Along with the combining I am now pleased with my decision to loc up. It was a very difficut first 6 months. I wanted to crawl under a rock to hide my head. instead I hid under wigs.(LOL) My journey has been worth it. However, I would never want to endure that chicken phase ever again. I would have given up but I literally had no other options at that time. My edges were too thin and patchy for a TWA and the creamy crack was why the edges were thin and patchy. I chose locs and prayed I would eventually like them and I luv my locs now. My spaces and gaps are almost gone and I will be able to go without curls sometime soon.
    I enjoy my style versatility . I have a side bang today with a high bun. I use to wear fake buns so I'm luvin this. It's full and thick. Now ain't that just something? In just 2 years. Who knew? Peace and Blessings.

13. Thanks uzuri thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast