Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used CD back when I had to get it from the health food store and they kept a very SMAL supply due to the short shelf life. The shampoos were watery and the butters were thick to the point of being almost greasy. However, I loved the simplicity of the ingredients. I was newly natural and at the time I wanted everythin I used to be natural as well. Once I began to see an increase in the amount of ingredients in the products, they lost their appeal to me. All told, I wish them the best. I do agree that they might have tried to do too much too soon.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

2. Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never got on any of the band wagon for any of these products. Primarily because I didn't have the money. When I did splurge, I would find that I didn't like the products. That was especially true of Carol's Daughter. As a result, I ended up finding inexpensive brands that worked well for me. I do however, wish CD well because I think it's important to have black-owed businesses be able to turn a profit by offering a choice to black consumers. I pray the company isn't eventually taken over by the big fish in the black hair care pond. That would just totally suck.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

4. Likes Serbbral, mramsey liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is no longer an African American owned company, for some natural's that's a turn off. I have never tried CD. It's overpriced. Restructuring is a way of wiping away debt without paying creditors. A lot of companies do this to rid themselves of debt.

6. Thanks ValleyOfDecision thanked for this post
    Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good afternoon, everyone.

Of course a company going under is not a good thing. However, regarding the Napptural community, all manufacturers, IMHO, have an upstream battle to retain this customer base of independent thinkers.
    I remember when Carol's Daughter appeared at Macy's - it was a change from the free-standing store they had at Roosevelt Field Mall.
    I found the prices to be high for the "feel" of the product, in the samples on display.
    I think a lot of Nappturals have found sources for the right raw ingredients for their hair, and that this demographic grooms independently of store-brand products, no matter the manufacturer.
    I know that is my situation.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoilyHairedBeauty View Post
    I just read about this on another forum and i gather the following:

CD Stores (all except 2 in New York are closing). The stores are owned by a subsidiary of Carols Daughter LLC. The
    *stores* are bankrupt, not the parent company.

CD Products will no longer be sold in Sephora, Ulta, Macy's....b/c of their move to Target.

So the product line will still be available in some fashion.

I also gathered that due to price and ingredient quality, as well as marketing (using celeb endorsements) CD is not really a major staple for naturals.

There are many quality, economical products that we hear about on YouTube and blogs.

Makes sense...
    BINGO to the bolded. I tried a product or two of CD. Wasn't impressed and this was long before the market became saturated with and natural hair products became so readily available. I have heard way too many people talk about how much better they were before they hit the big time.

As someone else mentioned, I took a gander when they hit the target shelves, wanting to pick up something to support and also in hopes that maybe the quality and ingredients had been steeped up a notch but sadly.... I left empty handed. Maybe they can take a page from Shea Moisture....

I wish her the best...but the game has changed since CD was first started.

9. Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lean C View Post
    This is no longer an African American owned company, for some naturals that's a turn off.
    I think that's some of the reason why this happened too, especially when Steve Stoute took over the branding and made it "poly-ethnic", which seemed to be code for "the less 'black', the better".
    "The backlash against bone-straight hair can't come quickly enough: I like my hair with its Afro personality intact." --Hannah Pool, journalist

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember wanting to order her products until I saw her products on HSN. There was an older Caucasian woman applying CD hair milk to her thin, bone-straight hair. I said to myself " That product probably won't be moisturizing enough for MY hair".

12. Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a lot going on in the natural hair care industry. Like any other business that grows it offers opportunity. This one for a lot of women. You see that there are more women owned hair care brands now which I think is a great thing. I think CD made the right decision to close stores. It's a lot of overhead and doesn't necessary pays off. Most brands don't have a flag store anymore but sell via targets and such. And then there is the internet.@Scre: With so much competition going on CD may also needs to upgrade/change/adjust to what is happening today. Like you say I was also in a store the other day and there were so many brands for nappy heads and CD didn't really stand out.

14. Thanks Lockolatte thanked for this post
    Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the company has been bailed out. L'Oreal has apparently purchased Carol's Daughter. Before the "who cares" starts rolling I don't use / have never used Carol's daughter so I dont care on that level either. But it's interesting in terms of a black female business owner, and it's interesting in terms of natural hair care & natural hair care brands going more into the mainstream. I am also interested to see what this does to the actual brand because I know on the makeup end when brands get bought out by these larger companies it actually affects the actual product line. A lot of products get discontinued as they streamline the brand and a lot of the actual formulations change etc. so...

http://madamenoire.com/480079/loreal...ltural-market/
    Last edited by Soul Rebel; 10-20-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Carol's Daugher files bankruptcy

I never was on the CD bandwagon, now never…gotta respect a girls hustle-she's surviving. Just sad to see that survival means we usually end up 'selling' to get out….I definitely could not trust the product now. With Lisa behind it I did. I 'm proud of her accomplishments though. She's been hanging in there fighting since the 90's to make this happen. There comes a time….
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 10-20-2014 at 11:08 PM.

17. Likes ValleyOfDecision, Mojito Chica liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast