Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This article nicely sums up my thoughts on this Donald Sterling foolishness
    http://oneblackgirlmanywords.blogspot.com/2014/04/donald-sterling-problem-or-american.html

And also:

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Still wrong

As much as I liked the NBA's decision, I wonder if it's actually enforceable. I have a feeling that as KLG says, the fact that it was supposed to be a private convo could save his azz. Also, do they have a morality clause for owners? If not then I wonder if the sanction will survive in court (I have no doubt that he will challenge the decision).

Also, Kareem Abdul-Jabar has a point:

"He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing.
    Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then? … So, if we’re all going to be outraged, let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on Celebrity Apprentice and Dancing with the Stars."

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    Also, Kareem Abdul-Jabar has a point:

"He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing.
    Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then? … So, if we’re all going to be outraged, let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on Celebrity Apprentice and Dancing with the Stars."
    **applause** **standing O**

I don't have time to go into all the issues I have with this event but I'm just going to be really real: A lot of US have our priorities F***ED UP. And I understand internalized racism is a real thing BUT I need more of us to UNLEARN THAT SH**. And one person who can start right now is Vanessa "Delicate Flower" Stiviano (nee Lopez or Martinez, I forget which).
    It's 2020...do you know where you're going to?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Kari: Exact-a-mun-do

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    **applause** **standing O**

I don't have time to go into all the issues I have with this event but I'm just going to be really real: A lot of US have our priorities F***ED UP. And I understand internalized racism is a real thing BUT I need more of us to UNLEARN THAT SH**. And one person who can start right now is Vanessa "Delicate Flower" Stiviano (nee Lopez or Martinez, I forget which).
    @ LBell - That's so racist......
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can think of the NBA like a McDonalds franchise and Sterling as a franchise owner of one store. If corporate gets wind of something that he's doing to damage their brand, then they can absolutely force him out.

From what I'm reading, this is how their contracts are set up. The commissioner can dole out punishments for violations of the contract and the owners as a whole can vote people in or out. It makes no difference whether or not the recorded conversation was legal or not. That's a decision for the civil courts, and even then he would have to sue either Stiviano* or TMZ.

(*Stiviano and her team claim that Sterling agreed to being taped. They also say that a third party leaked the tape.)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KoilyLocGirl View Post
    @ LBell - That's so racist......
    I heard that she changed her last name to an Italian(-sounding) name because she thought her own last name sounded too "Mexican." I found it ironic considering that 120 years ago Italians were the n***ers of the white race.

(Oops, there I go spouting history again...when will I learn? *bad LBell*)
    It's 2020...do you know where you're going to?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9. Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautifully Human View Post
    This article nicely sums up my thoughts on this Donald Sterling foolishness
    http://oneblackgirlmanywords.blogspot.com/2014/04/donald-sterling-problem-or-american.html

And also:

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    ^^^^^Hahahahahaha! Looks like that's Penny Marshall. Too funny

And adding to the convo. Here is an email from the NAACP that I got today (yes, switched out my name for my NP handle. )

Hello Scribetastic,

The bigoted comments of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling that came to light last week were deeply hurtful. That the Los Angeles branch of the NAACP had been planning to give an award to a man with a history of hateful remarks is simply inexcusable.

Last night, I accepted Leon Jenkins' resignation from his position as President of the Los Angeles branch. This was the first of many steps we as an organization are taking to address this issue. The NAACP remains actively engaged in a review of the Los Angeles branch. We will determine the shortcomings that enabled Donald Sterling to receive or be considered for any awards. We will prevent this from happening again.

We recognize the need for all our units to have the resources to serve their communities, but we must not allow that need to compromise our founding principles. We must determine what Donald Sterling donated to the NAACP Los Angeles branch—in order for it to be returned.

Scribetastic, I know you may be angry, frustrated, and confused. We will be making changes, and I hope our commitment to addressing this issue helps us move forward, so we can remain focused on the critical issues facing so many of our communities.

Millions still face unprecedented attacks on their rights to vote. Our families too often feel the terror of gun violence. The number of children with access to a quality education is shrinking, while economic inequality and instances of racial profiling are on the rise.

The success of our mission requires vigilance on many important issues at once, even as we strive to improve our organization at every level.

I look forward to working with you on both fronts this year and beyond.

Thank you,

Lorraine C. Miller
    Interim President and CEO
    NAACP

P.S. We commend the NBA for banning Donald Sterling for life, and commencing the process for a forced sale of his team. Write a message of thanks to Commissioner Silver, and we'll deliver your note when we meet to discuss the issue of racism in professional sports.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that the NBA has sanctioned Sterling, the news cycle has already moved on. Thankfully the classy Boston hockey fans who are showing their azzes on Twitter because a black man helped Montreal win a game are keeping the race conversation going.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast