Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Starting locs with braids v. twists?

Does anyone know if natural hair locs faster in braids v. twists? For those of you with braids, how long did it take for the braid pattern to go away?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on a lot of things, like hair type.

I"ve done both. I have hair that's very slippery, unravels VERY easily, and a scalp with issues that needs to be washed often, so braids work better for me.

When the braid pattern goes away, again, depends on the hair type. My hair is slippery, stray hairs slipped out of my braids often, and tend to wrap around the braid in their own way and loc in it's own pattern, covering the braid pattern, and because of this, I lost the braid pattern pretty early. LIke by the year mark, you couldn't tell had had braids. But I've known some kinkier haired nappies whose hair strands tended to stay tightly locked into the braid for a longer time.

I'm going to disclaim the following by saying that all locs go through a "messy" stage.

That said, some people find that braids tend to stay a bit neater than twists.

Twists stay for me ok, as long as I twist them damp, and keep the clips in until they are TOTALLY dry. (I'm hard headed about that, though.) Otherwise, it's unravel city.

for any type, washing often helps it loc faster. the more you wash, the more you make it messy, and locs are on the other side of the messy stage. It HAS to get messy to loc.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!

3. Thanks lilybean thanked for this post
    Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@dhkirahjami I agree with all of the above. I wish I knew then what I know now. I would be 950 bucks richer. No matter how you start your locs if you hang in there you will get to the other side of messy and have beautiful locs. What is your hair type though? If super soft back combing not teasing will roughin up the hair a bit and help with getting the process started and help with the frizzies. Let us know which method you choose.
    Expect Great Things!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Coalblacklocs Did you choose a Style to cut your locs in yet? I'm about to start searchin for my desired shade of Red. I want to go to a colorist but I want them to know exactly what shade I desire. I may take in a box shade that I want so they can see it and just return the product afterwards. I mean just in case they do not have a swatch that matches the shade in my head. I will start my natural hair care classes in July and they also do locs there. I have a feeling that this is where I will find my colorist. I sure hope so because finding one over the phone can be scary. Some peeps will say anything to make a buck and use your head as a guinea pig and hope things turn out well at your expense. People kill me expecting me to pay them after doing a horrible job. I do not miss salon visits! Can't yall tell?
    I said I was going to cut a half inch of my locs every month but I have not been able to cut it. I'm loving the length now. After I retire though I'm going to really try to take the plunge and cut it on July 1st. It will began the mark of a new journey for me marking new beginnings and I will start with my locs.(smile) It's time for me to get rid of my permed ends. They look fine but I'm ready to be all natural and stop having to worry about the area of demarcation where the perm and natural hair meet. Plus, color and perm can sometimes be problematic. I have a few cool styles to sport through the summer heat too. That Smileywitdalocs (youtube) has a beautiful tut on a zipper braid that I cannot wait to sport.It's really easy and can be worn on loose, braided and loc'd hair. I did it loose on my manequin head. It can be dressed up or down too.Anyhoo, later yall.
    Expect Great Things!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point, i occillate between periods where I totally forget about my head, and periods where I'm like OMG SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE! (and then slipping into "forgetting about it" part of the cycle before I actually *do* anything to it, LOL)

I started getting a LOT of length for some reason (some people say that happens when the weather turns warm), and I keep loving the length, and not wanting to go all the way chin length. But I do want to cut the ends off where there were loc buds that first started because they are really thick and annoying.

I'm thinking that I may tell the lady to just cut of those parts, and not go all the way short. That way, I can always go back to her if I change my mind and have more cut off.

But yeah, it's HOT out here. I use to lament for long locks, and someone told me I'd regret that in the summer, and they ain't never lied, LOL! But I'm usually ok if I tie it behind my ears. It's also getting hung in EVERYTHING. my bra strap. Pocketbook strap. the car door. the seat belt. by bra strap BAND. my husband regularly rolls over it in bed at night in his sleep, not realizing. or they are attacking him during....sex. Or, they are wrapped around my neck or smothering me when I'm trying to sleep. My children are constantly jumping on them while i'm laying in bed. (I'm surpised one hasn't gotten completely yanked out at the root from this yet, because HOLY OUCH.) playing with them. grabbing them. they are trees for toy lizards to climb. or two of them are two guys fighting with each other. (I have hyperactive imaginative children.)

I didn't think they were all *that* long, I thought these kind of issues become more prominent when they were like, at waist length or so.

I enjoy it, but I can see how it will be a nuisance after a while. I'm kinda tempted to wait till the end of the summer to see what length I have by then, but I dunno. It would be nice to have them at least evened up.

I think for you and your color, if you are going to start school for hair, it would be great to observe your other classmates and see which ones do color in the way that you like the best. I know a lot of people in hair schools have an advantage of being "in the know" about who does what aspect of hair styling the best.

If you can print in color, pinterest has myriads and myriads of different hair color shades, and you're bound to find PRECISELY what you're looking for. you may even have a smart phone or something that you can show the stylist a few different pics of what you want.

editing to add, I'm not familiar with locs with permed ends, just loose hair. I'm a BIG proponent of cutting off the relaxed part sooner rather than later. there is something to be said of not having to worry about lines of demarcation, and not having to deal with differing needs of one texture vs. the other. Hair tends to look so much healthier and easier to take care of once the relaxed parts are gone. Again, that might be different when it come to locs, but I can't imagine that it would be too much difference.
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 06-22-2014 at 05:01 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Coalblacklocs Super funny(LOL) info you shared about your dealings with long locs. My permed ends are not at all noticeable to others. I think its because they are so small anyway. I can point it out to peeps but other then that they would never know. I do take care to ensure that the line of demarcation is kept nice and moisturized to prevent breakage but it's good to have that good habit with locs where I live anyway.(Michigan) Now my ends go into a nice fine point which is very pretty. I don't like the idea of perm and perm color though so that's the main reason I'm wanting them gone before then. As far as who does my color It will be an experienced colorist not one of the students that are learning along with me. The school is a combination natural hair academy and salon. Is that convenient or what? Thx for the ideas on how to choose colors. I doubt I would have thought of those. I have never checked out Pinterest and hardly know what it is.Sad but true. I know what you mean about loving that length. I have always loved having long hair and with locs I'm no different. Personally, I'm thinking locs are sexier and more appealing then loose permed and/or pressed hair. I'm partiial to the manicured locs only though. Something about beautiful healthy locs that place them runner up in my book. I wish I did my locs sooner but glad I finally did. Best decision ever! I believe my locs are now at bra strap length and about the longest my loose hair has ever been. Now I'm excited to see how long they will grow beyond this point.
    Expect Great Things!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, an experienced colorist would be an even better choice, you're right. If you don't want to lose your ends, I bet if you go see one for a consultation, they could tell you what they think about coloring with your permed ends attached, and give you pros and cons. If they had a natural hair academy around here, I'd have been all over that! I'd love be a loctitian, and thought about it some time ,but over here, you'd have to be licensed, and have to learn to do all the chemicals, and I just wasn't up to all of that just to wash and tighten other people's locs. I wish you success with your carreer!
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 06-23-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two strand twists will lock the quickest

The braid pattern will disappear around 3-4 years…some braid pattern will always remain, however it will shrink/condense to an inch of the original size from a long hair starter lock install. If locked from braids with short hair, the pattern will disappear quickly around year 1.

Quote Originally Posted by dhakirahjami View Post
    Does anyone know if natural hair locs faster in braids v. twists? For those of you with braids, how long did it take for the braid pattern to go away?
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 06-25-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@KnottyAuthor-This was the case for me. When I started my locs the first time, I started with braids. I was just under a year and you could clearly see the braid pattern. I started them over with two strand twist and the pattern was gone by month 5.

11. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you go by hair typing, I'm a type 4b. I too have noticed that my two strand twist pattern goes away fairly quickly by month 5, but since I've never kept braids in my hair for longer than a month (to start locs), I don't know how it will be for locs. I'm tempted to take down my braids and replace them with two strand twists.