Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shampoo Question??

Hi ladies,

One of my church members (also a loctician w/10-years experience) has very nice, healthy looking locs that are mid-back length. I inquired about what she uses to wash & care for them, and she told me she washes with 'Design Essentials Organic Cleanse -- Oat Protein & Henna'. She also recommended 'Design Essentials Hydrate Leave-in conditioner.' I was excited to try them, but then looked at the sulfates in the shampoo, and the dimethicone & simethicone in the conditioner. Both of them also have an array of natural ingredients, but I have heard that both chemicals are to be avoided.

Should I stay away from both products? Any one ever use them in their locs? I researched the brand, and it is marketed to African natural hair, which I find odd (odd that they used the sulfates) given all of the research that the company seems to have conducted into Black hair care.
    Count it all Joy!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While a lot has been written about sulphates, everyone is different. Some people do okay with using products with sulphates and "cones".

There are no rules. You have to use what works for you. It's your hair. You get to decide.

Personally, every 6-8 weeks, I use Suave Clarifying shampoo which has sulphates. It works for me.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

3. Likes Karibana liked this post
    Onnica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@1stladyJoy Hi. Damien Walker on youtube recommends using Design Essentials highly and I was planning to try them but have not priced them. I decided to try the Shea Moisture products rather because they are easily excessible and all natural. They come highly recommended by plenty of folks. If you are that concerned with avoiding sulfates you may consider Shea Moisture also. I do not believe anyone will die an earlier death because they use products with sulfates. If so I would be interested in some clinical data as well as stats. As long as a product is not going to cause harm and it works what difference does it make if it has sulfates? Money marketing strategies! I want to use natural just in case it is true that sulfates strip dye colors from the hair. I agree with Chachadiva. Make the choice that is best for you. It's no point in using sulfates if you will then be stressed about the health risk involved. Do what is comfy and won't have you stressed out.
    Expect Great Things!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use it sparingly. If we can reduce and be healthy and pretty with good hair care. Over toxin exposure is linked in many studies to causing tumors in laboratory rats. B/C the natural hair movement has morphed, more commercial options are available; however, with these options come products laden with preservatives that extend the shelf life of a product and have nothing to do with preserving our health. B/C the FDA is loose at best with moderating beauty products to market and it takes so many thousands of people with negative exposure to prove harm of an ingredient, manufacturers get away with even putting formaldehyde (embalming fluid) and its derivatives into our hair products. So, yeh, if these things matter to anyone, it is so worth it and empowering to know more about the products we consume-especially into the scalp the most porous and capillary rich area of the body with little capillary high-way 'freeways' that go straight to target organs throughout the body. There are so many studies out that that even link traditional hair dyes to bladder cancer and other cancers-it's worth noting! At the least, modifying hair care for overall health might be worth it, especially as we age and our flesh gets more highly concentrated with toxins that could lead to horrible outcomes.

On another note, SLS/SLES can be drying to natural hair externally-however I believe it impacts locks less than loose hair for obvious reasons-one strand vs multiple strands fortified together into a lock. Residue could be left behind if not carefully rinsed out bc the surfactant nature of this ingredient. For me, I can't even wash my hands with regular soap. I feel that filmy feeling on my hands, then the skin starts pealing around my nail bed-it's just corrosive to me. Now that I know the source and the way, I carry a homemade/glycerin rich soap on my for even my skin care. Body care-ABS only or other natural soaps. I just don't use it for me or my family because of skin irritations, eczema prone skin and this knowledge base.

For your own reading...Here's a taste of a few why nots with sulfates.

Third party publications may provide the research you need to take you to the source data that may or may not be convincing that excessive exposure may not be beneficial:

The book Green Beauty is a great addition to any library for those who want to go further with natural beauty care and learn about the tricky balance between the FDA and toxin exposure.

*not the best source but it's a beginning for you…
    "The answer is simple - it is cheap. The sodium laureth sulfate found in our soaps is exactly the same as you would find in a car wash or even a garage, where it is used to degrease car engines.

In the same way as it dissolves the grease on car engines, SLES also dissolves the oils on your skin, which can cause a drying effect. It is also well documented that it denatures skin proteins, which causes not only irritation, but also allows environmental contaminants easier access to the lower, sensitive layers of the skin. " Read more: http://www.natural-health-informatio...#ixzz35tSrs3Gl
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

All this being said, I will use a shampoo with sulfates every 4-6 washes to reduce my exposure. It does do a good job at what it does, so weighing the benefits against the cons may be worth it for you as well?

GREAT options: Aubrey Organics Shampoos, Shea Moisture, African Black Soap bars(just the suds); Desert Essence Organics Shampoo … there are many. I alternate between Desert Essence and Aubrey's Rose .. shampoo-always diluting 1 cpfl to 8oz of water and spritzing onto the scalp to work a lather through the length might be worth it to try!?
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 06-28-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    I use it sparingly. If we can reduce and be healthy and pretty with good hair care. Over toxin exposure is linked in many studies to causing tumors in laboratory rats.
    I'm not disputing anything you just wrote. I just think you're way over thinking it. Especially when it comes to shampoo.

Shampoo, which is on your head for a few minutes at a time, is not going to be a cause of "over toxin exposure." Is there really such a thing? Can you name these toxins? Again, people are free to use whatever they want.

Unless one is going to only use natural things and go 100% synthetic/chemical free, I doubt a little shampoo is going to wreck anyone's life.

I respect everyone's ability to research and make their own choices.

Oh yeah..there are many things in nature that are toxic.
    Last edited by chachadiva; 06-28-2014 at 11:58 PM.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

7. Thanks cissia thanked for this post
    Likes Karibana liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you use a condish with cones, you need a shampoo with sulfates to get your locs fully clean. I use a sulfate free shampoo to get rid of build up since but I don't use condish at all so that's why I can get away with that. So as Chacha says, your locs will let you know if those products work for you. Every one's head is different.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ladies!

Its a given that we can do/try whatever we want, but it always helps to hear about others experiences with a product. I don't post often, but I do read a great deal and have dodged many a product based on others bad reviews. My hair is soft and was slooooooow to lock...I still have locs in my crown that loosen after shampoo, (4 years loc'd) so I am not quick to try new items without asking around. Thus, all comments are appreciated.

God bless,
    Joy
    Count it all Joy!

10. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS…I've dealt with the distributors of DE products-The natural line is more natural than the regular line-yet it has preservatives that are derivatives of formaldehyde, like the regular line. Will it do the job? Yes, of course. It will all boil down to lifestyle preference. DE may have realized, like other commercial brands, that they were loosing a considerable Market Share and sought to regain it with a more 'natural' offering by adding some key buzz ingredients.

I don't have experience with DE bc my aversion to those ingredients; however, I work with beauticians that are distributors and love it for their clients who what a natural option in the salon-they sell in bulk/gallons/convenient etc. They are able to get a percentage of the sales-so definitely continue to balance all of the information for your decision.

Let us know how it goes either way!
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 06-29-2014 at 08:19 PM.

12. Thanks 1stLadyJoy thanked for this post
    Likes 1stLadyJoy liked this post