Likes Likes:  16
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink From Retail to Corporate America -- Any Tips?

I've just accepted a job offer (orientation is Friday) that will change my life. Not just b/c it pays very well, but because it's going to be a rewarding one, and its a major accomplishment for someone who's been stuck in low-end jobs. I'm going to be completely free of retail! No nights, weekends....I get paid vacations, benefits...the whole 9.

When I went from fast food to retail, it was an adjustment, and this will be a significant one, going from retail to a desk. Does anyone have any tips? This will be a pretty busy office, and I'll be working with 15 other people.

Tips as far as office politics, work-life balance, any physical effects, ideas for business-casual attire....any advice you have

Thanks!
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

2. Likes KnottyAuthor, Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations! Your feet will thank you.

Tips as far as office politics, work-life balance, any physical effects, ideas for business-casual attire....any advice you have
    RE: Office politics: don't get involved in any. Network, but avoid those who lure you into gossip.

Physical effects: Feet relief, but beware of desk spread.

Attire: Depends on the job/field. Generally neat, coordinated, relaxed business attire/ smart casual.... omit what you wear to the club, sleep, gym, shopping. Ask supervisor if uncertain.

Work-life balance: Stay grounded. Be willing to do OT based on need and deadlines, but don't feel obligated or be a doormat. It's okay to socialize after work/office events. If you drink, caution. If you're working in an extremely anal environment, keep notes of all your work, get names, dates, times and write a journal. In case you're thrown underneath the bus, you're prepared. Cross your T's and dot you I's.

4. Thanks CoilyHairedBeauty thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor, LBellatrix, chcltroses liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations!!!

Keep a journal and log into it frequently documenting your work/directives etc. Let those you work with know that you document, especially superiors. Those that know will stay weary and not go off course. It's good preventative action. Whenever I run into a sticky situation with a higher up, I say, according to my notes we discussed blablabla-no direct blame- we-language keeps a conversation open and accountable. It works 90% of the time. One position I had it did not matter what I documented, the people feingned amnesia and confusion over my confusion regardless...so...I've learned (as they do in their managment training sessions) document, document, document..then document some more.

I make sure to workout during lunch/break periods. It's keeps me healthy and agile. when I can I join the group, but I'd rather keep moving than sit still b/c my mouth/eyes things like that get me in trouble and my name stays out of stuff. However, be prepared you will NEVER please everyone. I get shade for being antisocial etc..but it's the lesser of evils IMHO versus office drama he said/she said....

I have been in the field with my car as my office for over 15 years, now I'm in an office setting. So it was a BIG/HUGE adjustment for me. My habits are established and I'm extremely independent. When I entered the workforce that was an expectation. Now, the workforce expects collective thinking, working, team activities, group projects. I detest that stuff. Know your personality type and establish boundaries that allow you to thrive and don't compromise that or you will be miserable. Have fun!

6. Thanks CoilyHairedBeauty thanked for this post
    Likes LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. If you don't watch it, you're going to gain weight. Get up and walk around every so often. Take the stairs. Load up a drawer with healthy snack foods. Stay away from the snack machine. Take a walk a lunchtime. Seriously. That's the number one thing I wish someone had told me.

2. It's so easy to get settled into a routine. You've got a reliable paycheck coming in, benefits, an air-conditioned office, and an office BFF to gossip with....if you aren't careful, one day, you'll look up and realize that you're stuck in a rut. Is this job something you think you can make a career out of? If not, keep that in the forefront of your mind and keep your eyes open for other opportunities.

3. As a corollary to number 2, it's not enough to sit back quietly and do your work, especially if you're looking to advance in the organization. That old adage, it's not what you know, it's who you know, still applies. Make sure your direct boss (and maybe her boss) knows who you are and what you're working on. Practice your elevator speech, and introduce yourself to people in the office. If you have any contact with the outside customers, make your interaction the bright spot of their day, and make sure they know your name.

I'm not saying be a kiss a**, but just don't blend into the woodwork. If nothing else, you should have contacts who think favorably of you that you can use to your advantage in the future.

4. You know what happens to people that make more money? They spend more money. Start now with a budget. Contribute to your company's retirement plan. Pay off your debts. Build up your savings. Trust me on this. It's so easy to live paycheck to paycheck even when you're making 2x what you used to. And, for me at least, there's no greater feeling than having $$$$ in the bank that's not earmarked for anything.

Okay, that's all I can think of for now, lol. I know I wrote a book, but I really wished somebody woulda tapped me on the shoulder and said these things to me.
    Last edited by skittles04; 07-23-2014 at 05:59 PM.

8. Thanks CoilyHairedBeauty thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor, LBellatrix, OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice is to create a long term career plan. After you start and get familiar with your job, start reviewing job postings on a regular basis to see what other type of positions the company offers. Identify job postings that look interesting and save copies of them. Use the job postings to create you own advancement plan. See the type of experience and education needed.

If your company has tuition reimbursement, get a degree or certification on the company's dime. Be open to take on extra work or projects that relates to the next job you want. If there is a women's or African American affinity group, join. Identify a more senior co-worker or manager and ask them to be your mentor. Volunteer for committees and company sponsored community projects. This will allow you to meet people from other departments. Get their name and add them to your personal contacts list.

The key to success in the corporate world is to not stagnate. YOU have to drive your career. It doesn't work like TV.

Since this is your first corporate job, I would advise you to not stay in the job for more than 2 years. Sure, you may not want to be CEO, but why leave money on the table? You can work 40 hrs a week and make $40k or you can work 40 hrs a week and make $80k. Which do you want? Have a realistic goal salary in mind and keep working until you get there.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

10. Thanks CoilyHairedBeauty thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically I'm back in corporate but it's basically what I'm calling "Google-corporate." Super-casual dress code, pool table and big-screen TV on each floor, etc. Some of these youngsters get a little too comfortable though...for example one of the VPs had to remind people to take their ish out of the refrigerators before they smell.

I agree with most of what the others have said and just have a few embellishments.

Office politics: I follow the No RPSR rule: I do not discuss race, politics, sex, or religion at work or any work-related events. I'm also very careful about what else I reveal about myself. I want my coworkers to get to know me but they don't have to know everything, and definitely not right off the bat. Be friendly but keep it professional as much as possible.

Physical health: Absolutely make sure you move around as much as possible. Without knowing exactly what you did in retail, if it kept you moving it was probably healthier than a desk job. Also, bring your lunches to work...which leads to this tip:

Money: Create a budget that will allow you to save as much as possible. As your salary increases, roll that increase over into savings. You might not be able to do that right away but I remember reaching an income level above which everything else was gravy. I was living a pretty simple life though...wasn't really thinking about any big-ticket items like a mortgage.

Congratulations and best of luck!
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

12. Thanks CoilyHairedBeauty thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor, OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much, ladies!!!!! I'm definitely taking all of this in!

I love the part about documenting things. That's a habit I need to start and KEEP. I also like the idea of keeping it professional. B/c familiarity invites disrespect. I'll make sure not to get involved in gossip or tell my own business.

I also appreciate the tips on creating a long term career plan. Is it true that once you get into office work, it's easy to get more of the same? I'd hate to ever go back to what I had before.

I'll keep my resume updated and get into networking to see what's out there. It'd be great if I can get in with a company that does something I'm passionate about.

BUDGET! Yassss....I really need to build up a cushion. And make sure I set aside enough for my bills.

I do NOT want to gain weight so I will be working out at LEAST 5 times a week, before or after work =)

Again, thanks ladies! Keep it coming!!
    /

14. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Update

I've been on the job for a few weeks, and I just thought I'd give a little update. Firstly, I want to thank all you ladies who commented on this thread. Your tips have been a big help to me.

I definitely have a new-found respect for office workers. Coming from a blue collar background, I thought that office workers were lazy and frivolous. For some, those things are true. But depending on the type of work your're doing.....There's a lot to take in. A lot to learn as far as your system, company policy, the atmosphere. Who to ask for help, and who not to ask....

For the first week, I went home with a terrible migraine everyday. It was almost too much to handle. But I'm hanging in there. Our trainers went back to the state they came from, so now our team is stuck with our supervisor. She helps a little, but most of the time, we depend on each other. There is an air of superiority going on, as far as the workers who were not in our training class. They don't even acknowledge our presence.

I find it strange that they like to celebrate a lot, for no reason, having potlucks and whatnot. And what is the obsession with "casual week"? Is that supposed to be some type of reward? Anyway...

I'm now in a routine, I'm learning to multi-task, and have several applications open...We use Outlook and I can't stand it, LOL. But I'm getting the hang of it. I've learned so much. I have my resume updated, I've started a budget, and now I need to plan time to workout....
    /

16. Likes Squiggly, LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the world of corporate work.

The superior folks...that's something inside their mind. Let it stay there. Don't get caught up in their mess. Just ignore them.

The potluck/casual week people...some people take their workplace a bit too seriously like it's their home or something. These are the folks who get too comfortable and end up staying in the same job/same department for like 10 years. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want but it's very little career/income growth.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

18. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty liked this post