Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default This is it...locs to loose

I've had locs for seven years I have enjoyed them up until last year. They were down to the middle of my back...just too much hair. I came to the forum to vent this time last year and some people suggested that I just cut them into a style or bob for a new look. So I cut them to my shoulder and that seem to satisfy me until...now... I think I'm truly done. I never thought I'd have them forever but I thought it would be longer than this, but it's time. They just don't look the same (they're thinning out), and I want something new....just not feeling them anymore. I was a loose nappy when I started my journey so I know the work involved. I know that they'll be times that I'm like "CRAP! what did I just do...I can't just up and walk out of my house anymore, I've got to do my hair!" But I feel a little better prepared this time in that there seems to be more style options once I grow my hair out, plus this time I'm under no illusions about creating non-existent curls. I KNOW my hair is nappy to the fullest and I've worked with it. Anyway now I just need to decide on how to do this...big chop again or try to salvage some length? I can't go through combing them out be I thought that if I have at least an inch of new growth I won't be totally bald. Anyone out there going through this or have gone through it? Any tips advice would be appreciated.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not going through this personally but I've read stories and even met one woman who was in the same boat. She loved her locs but they just weren't healthy. I took her photo when she had them in a bob. Didn't even recognized her years later when she was a short natural. She looked at the loced picture and remembered them.

I don't know what to tell you. From what I heard, shaving it all off can be liberating. Taking out locs is agonizing but the hair is usually fabulous once its out. Good luck whatever you decide.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds as if your mind is made up. You have to do you. I recently cut my locs into a bob and combined those that looked thin and I am happy. However, I did have a moment recently where I felt that I may want to go shorter or cut them off entirely and it was then that I knew how some who had cut their locs shorter, but then ended up cutting off their locs entirely, felt. I then, looked in the mirror and decided, naw. I am not ready to give them up. So, I am still enjoying my shorter and thicker locs and I probably won't be getting rid of them. Like I stated in another thread, I probably will have them for life! However, I'll never say never. But, I've found that since I've gotten older, I just don't like doing much to my hair. Everyone is different and sometimes you do want a change. Enjoy your journey.
    Never Underestimate ANYONE

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was like you. I had my first loc set for 6 years and cut them off since they were unhealthy (I thought I would have them for much longer). I had a twa for a year and decided to loc again; I then BC after about 1 year and a half. The thing is I had no idea how to really deal with my loose hair. I now know I will probably never loc again and I am completely OK with that and have adapted to being a loose nap. Having locs was a great experience but I am not my hair and at this point I had just about every natural style (Current style is my avatar pic) My advice if you are going the BC route, go to a barber or stylist to shape up/line the hair even if you plan to grow out eventually. I found it much easier to deal with super short hair when it was shaped well (I thought it looked fierce!) and it encouraged me to update my wardrobe and/or accessories. As for the take down method I have no advice since I had absolutely no patience for that! Good luck!
    Yet another natural hair journey...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/shell98/

ava1 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice shell98. I agree that I need to find a good barber to give me a good shape to start out with. This is actually what made it hard for me when I did my 1st BC. The stylist I who cut my hair did not give me a good shape up. So, I'm on the hunt now for a good barber/stylist in the Baltimore area.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For health reasons, I had to switch from latching 316 locks to palm-rolling 100 locks. { I made them larger }
    Health comes first!
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004