User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

View Poll Results: Not a lot of responses, do you want me to keep documenting/updating?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm going though something similar.

1 100.00%
  • No, it's not really that useful.

0 0%
  • If you're reading this and not yet a member of the forums: JOIN!!! & then vote yes

0 0%
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Search and Destroy Mission #healthb4length

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0354_1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	10584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0358_1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	10585

I started to really look at the condition of my ends in early June, and I was totally surprised at what I saw. I knew that I was sacrificing health for length and neglecting to trim in the hopes that I would gain a few inches and finally reach bsl.

What I found was splits and asks/pixie knots EVERYWHERE. Worst still, I found that a lot of my strands had these little bubbles up to three inches from the bottom. I'm not sure what these little bubbles are called but I knew they were future splits in the making. I've been cutting them off, one by one, since early June and I still have a long way to go although my ends are a lot healthier than when I started.

Just regular trimming on twists isn't going to cut it because of all the bubbles that will just open up into new splits. If anyone can think of any alternative let me know. Otherwise let this be a lesson to all the length obsessed ppl out there. #healthb4length

tags: split ends, single strand knots, asks, length, trim, ends

P.S. As a matter of fact, my hair has started to "clump" again the way it used to, I was complaining about it not clumping in 2012 (https://www.nappturality.com/forums/...way-it-used-to) and I should have listened to Debe_999!! I was trimming just not in a very useful way. Not all trimming is created equal. Trimming that just opens up new splits is what I was doing, not really LOOKING at my strands individually and trimming what was needed. Live and learn.
    Last edited by underthehood; 07-28-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

2. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty, Squiggly liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I was getting somewhere with the whole search and destroy thing. I really did.

But this morning I noticed that the end of one of my twists looked a bit like this:

I decided to cut along the red line to even things out. I just ended up making a whole new bunch of split ends. Which means a lot more of my strands look like this than I thought:

Even thought I've been "really LOOKING" I've been cutting above the split end at the red line, not realizing that just an inch or two above was another string of mid shaft splits (turns out they're not called bubbles).

Am I just looking for trouble? Should I just leave my ends alone? I keep trimming cutting upwards and and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight!

Does anyone else get these mid shaft splits?? If they're left alone, won't they just eventually open up on their own (future splits)? How did they get there to begin with??
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ╚═══╝

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since no-one seems to have experience tackling midshaft splits I'm just going to post the results of my research in case someone does a search in the future:

Mid shaft splits: cause and prevention: from natural haven, takes you through the scientific causes
    Quick Fire: Should you trim midshaft splits?: also from natural haven, i found the comments more useful than the article, a lot of people were talking about how they use a denman brush and i had an omg me too moment
    TOP 5 CULPRITS TO MID-SHAFT HAIR SPLITS: from urban bush babes, mostly common sense stuff
    Thread discussing mid strand splits on naturallycurly.com

Steps I'm taking:

-Keep going with the search and destroy and low manipulation PSs
    -switch to finger combing completely
    -re-LOC for moisture every 3 days focusing on my ends

Maybe in a years time I'll remember to update with results!
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ╚═══╝

5. Thanks tolly thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi underthehood! I don't know if I will be of much help. However, I did have issues with my strands having holes, as I called them, for awhile. As for me, cutting didn't help at all . But I have discovered that it had a lot to do with my health. I had a lot of health issues in the past so I couldn't tell you which one was causing it. However, I suspect it might have been a vitamin deficiency. I take a daily vitamin for women now. I also have not seen a mid strand split in a long time. I used to have a whole section that was full of them and it also always had single strand knots(those are also gone!). I hope you find a solution! I know it can be quite frustrating!
    "Ad astra per alia porci"-John Steinbeck

7. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Likes underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My Search and Destroy Mission #healthb4length

@underthehood how is your hair now, is there any improvement since your last update?
    My hair is just a few inches now, but the last time I was natural, I discovered those mid-shaft spilts too, also had a ot of SSK at the time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for asking tolly!

I've been on Dee's no-comb challenge and trying to keep moisturizing but I'm still seeing lot's of ssks and msss (mid-shaft splits, should just call them ms^3 lol). I know there's nothing I can do about the ms^3 that are already there so I've been snipping the ends of my box braids to try and control it. I think I've snipped off 1/2'' so far. I've most definitely given up on search and destroy though now that my schedule's gotten busy.

Hopefully oiling my hair regularly will keep it moisturized and finger combing will reduce the tension that causes splits in the first place. I'm not sure, but I'm starting to think that finger-combing is worsening the ssks. You win some you lose some, and right now I'd rather ssks than ms^3.

Will keep you posted!
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ╚═══╝

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Underthehood have you tried a protein treatment? A protein treatment temporarily fills in the holes. A henna treatment will also help with your hair. Remember to dc after henna or a protein treatment. Apple cider vinegar rinse can help also. I hope you find what works for you. Good luck.

11. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lean C View Post
    Underthehood have you tried a protein treatment? A protein treatment temporarily fills in the holes. A henna treatment will also help with your hair. Remember to dc after henna or a protein treatment. Apple cider vinegar rinse can help also. I hope you find what works for you. Good luck.
    I've done egg, mayo and cholesterol treatments in the past, I've never tried henna or AVC though. I'll update when I try them! Thank you!
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ╚═══╝

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how useful this thread has been for others, if you want me to keep documenting this drama let me know by voting.

I'm learning/experimenting with protein and will update soon.

(or, on the flip side, if you don't want me to keep going you can vote no... of course only the people interested enough to click on the title will see the poll, so i it's already biased...i love/hate having to critique scientific papers).
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ╚═══╝