Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Random thoughts of Students and Workers...Living for semester breaks and annual l

Avoiding my homework like

2. Likes KinkyChica, Cutie McPretty, Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a way to get these student loans off my back FASTER that doesn't involve selling an organ. -_- I wouldn't feel as terrible about this if I had a degree and worked in the field I had said degree in. But this loan bill I have thanks to poor decision making and listening to the WRONG people is UNJUSTIFIABLE to me. I'm basically paying for something I don’t even have and feel less inclined to actually get because I already KNOW how much of a racket student loans are.

Along those lines, how does one build a career off their creative talents without starving to death or ending up homeless...? Because this working for other people on weird schedules is killing me emotionally, spiritually, CREATIVELY, and screwing with my marriage. -_-

4. Likes Vavoon liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been thinking a lot about that very thing lately, and I've come up with 4 options so far...

1. Use the talent/skill directly. Paint, sing, write, dance, etc., and try to get people to pay you for your efforts.

2. Try to incorporate your skill into an existing job. Dancer --> Zumba instructor, Writer--->Copywriter, etc.

3. Teach your skill to someone else. If you can find a way to make it "passive" (i.e., offer the tutorial in an ebook or video form available for download via your website) even better.

4. Sell accessories related to your creative endeavor. Have you ever noticed, esp. on places like Etsy, that it's the supply stores that do the most business? I see this in almost every creative field. I love photography, but when I think about all the crap that I've bought over the years vs how much money I've made making pictures, it's hilarious.

Honestly, I'm currently trying to design an app for each of my hobbies. It slow going b/c I'm starting from scratch, but my goal is to have beta versions out by the end of next year.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Random thoughts of Students and Workers...Living for semester breaks and annual l

Come get y'alls KIDS !!!!!!!!!!!! Oh mahhh gahhhhhh. Like REALLY?!?!?

Tis all...

Quote Originally Posted by meagan22 View Post
    Avoiding my homework like
    This made me .... .
    Last edited by Cutie McPretty; 11-05-2014 at 05:58 AM.

Locs 2nd Set: April 3rd 2012 - Yup they're back

7. Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikalia42 View Post

Along those lines, how does one build a career off their creative talents without starving to death or ending up homeless...? Because this working for other people on weird schedules is killing me emotionally, spiritually, CREATIVELY, and screwing with my marriage. -_-
    you and I both!!! I can't do customer service for life...I just can't - not because of the customers, but because I want to do something that I don't dread waking up every morning to.
    and to be honest, I want a career that pays well. I don't want to struggle. trying to merge those two interests are the bane of my existence. I came up with certain careers -
    psychology, epidemiology (masters in public health), sociology, nursing (tough, not really that "creative")

I just want to do something that has some excitement, variety, creativity, and stability. it's very hard merging my interests...especially since I tend to retreat at the first sight of a challenge. I am afraid of failure, not making the most of my time - whatever that is, and looking "stupid."

being at this job made me more of aware of my short attention span and poor retention. I multi-task so much to a point where nothing has my undivided attention. luckily after identifying this issue I have taken certain steps to improve. but its a work in progress

9. Thanks Ororo thanked for this post
    Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess my biggest issue is making myself "stand out" with my skills. Sure I can do all four of those things (and have been for a while to very little success...), but I really don't know how to make myself more more unique? That part baffles me. It's like saying make a single slice in a loaf of bread more special that the others. ....HOW DO YOU DO THAT? =/

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all I want for Christmas is holiday pay.

yes I will work over Christmas but NYE ?

hell no.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to transcend my current line of work. I cannot be here another year.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typing up my two weeks notice now so that all I have to do is stick the date on it later. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch re: this interview, I just want to be ready if I get that better offer.

14. Likes Vavoon liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After 8 months of looking I finally found a job!

It's in my field, full-time, only 20 miles away from my house (easily accessible by public transportation if I don't feel like driving) and the pay is decent for the industry and size of the organization (small nonprofit). I have PTO, health care and opportunities for professional development. The only thing I'm missing is some sort of retirement plan but I make enough to start my own Roth IRA and max it out for 2014 and 2015. The job isn't my ideal... but it's a great stepping stone from my last nonprofit job and will give me a lot of experience in development, operations, finances, event mgmt and project mgmt.

While it took forever to find something, I am immensely thankful that I was only unemployed for 3 months. I was barely looking for a job when I applied to this one because I didn't think companies would be hiring over the holiday season. I still did my due diligence though and sent out some resumes and c.v.s and I was contacted within 2 days. Once they called me and arranged my first interview, I was employed within 9 days!

My only challenge now is to avoid office politics! There is a lot of micro-managing and subsequent bitterness going on between certain employees and volunteers (at the management level!) that I'm trying to stay away from. As the newest, youngest and only minority staff member I know I have to step carefully!

16. Thanks Cutie McPretty thanked for this post
    Likes Cutie McPretty, meagan22 liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast