Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Language Lovers

Hey NP!

Is anyone studying a second (third? fourth? fifth?) language? I studied Russian years ago and I'm studying Arabic now and it kicks my butt sometimes.

Whether you love to travel and pick up useful phrases or you are a serious grammarian, I'd love to hear from you!
    AKA: fuzzy_slippers

Still Nappy. Still Happy, ya'll!

2. Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was JUST thinking about this yesterday...finally checking "be fluent in another language" off my list of life goals...

I go back and forth between sticking with my first true love (French; 6 years) or going for practicality (Spanish; 2 years) or taking on a true challenge (Arabic, which I dipped a toe into during my last staff job; Chinese, which I want to learn just for the hell of it). I signed onto Livemocha some years back but never got very far into it.

Are you studying in-person, online, or both? Do you have people you can practice with? Tell me how you're learning it...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm studying in person through a language institute. I've made some friends there and we practice by skype on the weekends. Speaking is my worst area. I'm always on the lookout for apps and programs to substitute flash cards. I'm an old-school flash card kind of person, but my wrists can't take it. Right now I like lingua.ly, foreigncy.org, quizlet, rapid rote. I'll give just about anything a shot.

Thanks for writing back so quickly!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm learning French, have been in France for 11 months and still struggle, mainly because initially, I was around expats who spoke English. I now live in the south of France where very few people speak any English.
    I signed up on conversation exchange and have met a couple of people who i practise with via skype.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, afrocherie! I just signed up with Conversation Exchange.

7. Likes afrocherie liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know how to read French, but I don't have enough practice speaking it to be really confident with it. When I went to Paris, I think I amused people more than anything when I tried to speak French, lol. It did feel good to hear snippets of people's conversations on the metro and know what they were talking about.

I'm trying to continue with my French practice and add in German and Japanese. Mostly, I'm using podcasts, youtube videos, and workbooks/DVDs to help me through. I'd love to find an affordable real life class being taught in my area, though.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am continuing to learn Spanish. I picked up lots of words and phrases from the high Hispanic population that I worked with. I just moved and am now a sahm. I found an app called Duolingo that has allowed me to continue learning.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my dreams is to be a polyglot. I speak French well enough to carry a conversation and can read and write, too, but written is my best. I need to get on with making myself fully bilingual. I also need to learn Spanish and Hausa. Spanish because I live in SoCal and is so common and it would boost my resume. Hausa because it's what my parents speak at home. It's a Nigerian language that's spoken throughout West Africa. I understand a good amount, but to speak it fluently would be amazing for me. I've always felt like a bit of an outcast back home (Ghana and Togo). Granted, my parents speak about 5-7 West African languages, but this one is the one they speak most often; along with French, I'd be able to communicate well with family and other people that don't speak English at home.

11. Likes underthehood, afrocherie liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo View Post
    Hausa because it's what my parents speak at home. It's a Nigerian language that's spoken throughout West Africa. I understand a good amount, but to speak it fluently would be amazing for me. I've always felt like a bit of an outcast back home (Ghana and Togo). Granted, my parents speak about 5-7 West African languages, but this one is the one they speak most often; along with French, I'd be able to communicate well with family and other people that don't speak English at home.
    Wow 5-7 languages! That's amazing! I too wish I was completely fluent in my mom's language (Arabic). I understand her and can more or less speak back, but have a harder time with formal Arabic writing. Couldn't write a proper essay for the life of me, and if I did it would be full of slang ... and probably spelling mistakes.

Oh, and sign language, I've been trying to learn ASL but it's been on the backburner for a while now. I know a handful of signs and can sign some songs but that's pretty much it! (Party in the USA, Hot n Cold, It's too late to apologize)
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

13. Likes Ororo, afrocherie liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What learning methods seem to work for you?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast