Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Black Male needs hair help!

Hey everybody!

I desperately need help maintaining and growing out my hair. I'm 20 years old, currently in college, and my hair is about 3-4 inches long. I feel like my hair isn't growing at all . I believe my hair is 4b/4c but I could be wrong. I always wanted long hair but never really had the patients to grow it out. I've been sticking with it for the last year or 2 but I feel like I'm doing everything wrong lol. All I currently do it apply Cantu Shea butter cream and olive oil to my hair after i get out the shower.

My mom is old-school and wants me to constantly rake a comb through my head everyday multiple times a day. I feel like I lose way too much hair. I really need help because my mom isnt supportive of my new hair at all and is pretty demeaning

I just need tons of advice and support from all my natural hair sisters and brothers. I can post pics if you guys want to see where I'm heading right now, its actually a mess xD. But, please please give me any advice! I'm just so overwhelmed with everything i find on Google and you tube and very frustrated. I need styling advice, i need a solid routine, and pretty much everything lol

Thanks in advanced!

2. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! Welcome to NP!

Feel free to post pics. We all understand frustration with our hair. Even someone you might have hair envy for has felt frustrated at some time or another. Your routine sounds really simple, but have you heard of LOC? Liquid, Oil, Cream. It's a sequence that works great for really kinky/coily textures. It sounds like water is your Liquid, but perhaps if you changed the order of your Cantu Shea (Cream) and and Olive Oil you'll see a positive change.

But enough about frustrations. What do you love about your hair? Do you have a particular length goal? What do you think you'll do with your hair when you reach it? How do you like to style your hair now?

Write back whenever you have time. When you have 5 posts in the Newbie section, you'll be able to join the rest of the forums. Looking forward to hearing back from you!
    AKA: fuzzy_slippers

Still Nappy. Still Happy, ya'll!

4. Likes BasementBeat liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey KeepitSwill, welcome to Nappturality!

I just wanted to point out that when I first joined nappturality I also wanted help creating a solid routine that would manage and grow my hair. Over time though, I came to realize that there isn't a one-size-fits all (or even a one-size-fits-me-all-the-time). People have different hair and you might even find that your hair will change over time. There are things that you might want your hair to do that it might not want to do and on the flip-side it might surprise you with a look you like but didn't expect. I would say take the advice you get from people as a starting point, see how your hair likes it and go from there.

Squiggly mentioned that your routine is simple. Don't take that to mean that simple is bad. Simple can be really great for our hair, in fact over-shampooing can be really drying and some people choose not to shampoo very often (like me) or even not at all. I've got no complaints against the LOC method, I've been trying it for a little over a month now. Basically with hair growth it's all about retaining the ends of your hair (that's the oldest section and is prone to being dry and breaking off). So make sure you pay extra attention to the end of your hair. About the combs, that's another thing that some people avoid because, like you mentioned it tends to tear out more hair that could have been saved using gentler methods (e.g. completely finger combing or finger combing to get bigger tangles apart before using a comb). Just thinking out loud here but would spritzing your hair with water (not soaking it) and finger combing be a gentler alternative to running a comb through it daily?

Make sure to check out the challenge section of the forums, particularly the hair growth (it says 2013 in the title) and the no-comb challenge.

All the best on your hair journey!
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

6. Likes Squiggly liked this post
    In a rural area hoping to one day get to the city
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for responding guys!
    and Sorry for responding so late :/

Thanks for the advice Squiggly, to answer some of your questions: I don't exactly know what I love most about my hair yet, but I enjoy having it out. I hope to figure out more about me and my hair as I go along in my journey. My length goal for right now is at least to my nose. If it ever gets there there's no telling where I would stop. I really like having my hair out so maybe ill just do something like a twist out when it's at the right length. Sadly right now I really do style my hair at all. I just put the products in and pretty much walk out after roughing it up a little. I wore a twist out twice after getting in professionally done. The problem is i don't have money for that and it only really last a week. I can't seem to do twist by myself for some reason. I'm definitely going to try again when my hair is longer though.

I certainly appreciate your advice too Underthehood. I'm going to try that because i know the comb is tearing my hair apart. I have very tight curls lol. I really don't ever shampoo unless i feel my hair is just dirty for some reason. One question I have is what should I be looking for in my ends? How do I know they're healthy? Oh and another thing, I don't really have too many people to talk to irl about natural hair. My mom has processed hair, my girlfriend refuses to wear her natural hair even though its very beautiful, and I live in a predominately white community. You guys are going to become my best friends when it comes to this stuff lol.

I hate to bring up negative stuff because it seems like i'm nagging, but my parents just got into an argument over my hair today because it looks too nappy. Can you point me in a place to look for styling tips? I'll post pictures of my hair tomorrow so you guys can get a view of what I'm working with.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello again! You're not nagging us in the slightest.

Sorry to hear that your parents are so upset about your hair. I realize that you're 20 now, and you won't be able to post there until you have a few more posts under your belt, but the Nappy Teen Scene's a good spot to see what other youngsters living at home are dealing with. And it's good to help lift each other up.

For styling tips, I like to browse threads in the Napptural Styles Workshop and YouTube videos. I learned how to braid by watching YT videos. And I thought I was hopeless. People showed me numerous times. I'd tried books and even that Braids By Breslin series.

Sounds like what you're doing right now is a Wash and Go. Getting your hair wet and letting it dry as is. Or getting your hair wet, fluffing it out, applying some products and letting it dry as is. Some like it. Some don't. Same with every other kind of hairstyle. Underthehood has a great suggestion about finger detangling.

Other Styles. Not sure what to say yet since I'm not sure what your hair is like. But since you said you're trying to get it to grow out to about nose/bangs length and you've had a twist out before, I'm going to guess that it's about 3 inches all over.

If you have any relatives or friends that can braid willing to help you out (and you're willing to help them with something. Fair's fair.), you could try braids, twists, or a combination of braids and loose hair.

Twisting your hair yourself isn't hard. Just make sure you have a lot of time and you're willing to be patient while you get the hang of it. The shorter your hair is, the smaller/thinner you'll want to make the twists so they don't unravel on their own.

I liked this video on short hair twists:

You could try headbands. They're not just for girls. My advice for headbands is not to wear them tight. You can damage the hair along your hairline from the tension.

I watch a lot of ladies on YouTube, but a couple guys I like to watch are

-Marquise Turner

and Tomo Jr

Hope this helps!
    AKA: fuzzy_slippers

Still Nappy. Still Happy, ya'll!

9. Likes underthehood, deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)