Thread: Blackish

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another question. When the grandfather was mocking the "African" ceremony, he joked that they had no connection to Africa.

Why is it that white people born in America who themselves, parents, grandparents have never visited their ancestral homes in Italy, Ireland, China, still get to call themselves Italian, Irish, and Chinese. Yet when a Black person claims Africa, they are being silly.

Do "progressive" African-Americans (yeah, Black folks) really believe that it's progress to see ourselves as a rootless people whose history begins with indentured servitude in America? We should ignore our ancestral greatness?
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    ^^......
    That said, I realize that simply by being in this body in this time and place in history I'm going to be put into a box whether I like it or not. So for me to say I'm a ____ who happens to be black...well, yeah, that sounds great, but I can't quite decouple the two because of what my world, our world, is like. I'm free but I'm also a realist, if that makes sense.
    True. Everyone's story is real to them.... and it can also be their perception. There's no denying that we experience some form of bigotry, but the question for me is how much is actual, fictional.... and how long should I hold on to things when we all evolve. My mind & heart has been held hostage because of a few instances, history, my parents experiences, others thoughts and feelings. In my reality, my own and other cultures treated me far worse; and I didn't hold animosity. Folks saw me as an individual and I continued to see them as a people. When I hit a low, they were supportive and my own disappeared. I began to free myself mentally, released the pain and let things go. Of course that doesn't mean to forget my history, because history has a way of repeating itself. But the least I could do is see people as individuals, cease generalizing and assuming the worst. We're going to be stereotyped by all types of folks. I realize they're the ones with the issues, not me.... or the group.

3. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Likes LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Truth. Not all skin folk are kin folk...I learned that the hard way as a child yet it's literally only been in the last decade or so that I've had to really let go of a lot of my idealism, especially once I really understood the lengths some of my own will go to throw others under the bus.

This HuffPo opinion piece hit on some of my original reactions to the concept of this show before I watched it. (It also helps explain why Laurence Fishburne got two out of my three LOLs.) I'm willing to give them a (little bit of a) pass on the pilot, but I'll be interested in seeing how future episodes are handled.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

5. Likes Fuzziwuz liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Another question. When the grandfather was mocking the "African" ceremony, he joked that they had no connection to Africa.

Why is it that white people born in America who themselves, parents, grandparents have never visited their ancestral homes in Italy, Ireland, China, still get to call themselves Italian, Irish, and Chinese. Yet when a Black person claims Africa, they are being silly.
    FROM MY OBSERVATION Whites are not alone. Folks identify with a culture, oppose to nationality... and flip flop when convenient. It's not silly if Black individuals claim Africa, however the people are divided. Some find it ludicrous, ignorant, or don't identify with black period even though they are in the USA. Black Americans are suggested to pick a spot, any spot on a continent and claim lineage to a root while other cultures claim a country. Many are multiracial and ridiculed by their own if they claim two thirds of their heritage. Technically since Africa is the beginning of civilization shouldn't there be one entry on the census, and shouldn't we all check the box? In any event, identify where you feel comfortable.

Do "progressive" African-Americans (yeah, Black folks) really believe that it's progress to see ourselves as a rootless people whose history begins with indentured servitude in America? We should ignore our ancestral greatness?
    Honestly, I think "progressive" African Americans are fixated on where they're going, acquiring or maintaining the "American Dream" (or survival) that they're really not focused on the past... they're looking straight ahead. An example: "Black-ish"... the kids unaware of the current president being the first black president. It's a big deal to adults, but when you're young... is anyone stating the importance, pointing out the difference, or teaching history? They grow up just thinking a man is president... they're probably not even thinking he's black. RE: folks knowing their past -- I know grown adults that's unaware of the Civil Rights movement or Black Americans struggles. They can't relate because they didn't experience and their parents are not informing. So if many can't identify with something recent, they surely can't identify with the ancient.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Blackish

Did anyone see the latest episode #3? Do you agree with "the nod?"
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The nod
    while watching blackish

me: lol, yeah, i do smile at black people i don't know, don't you?
    daughter: no
    me: what?? you don't acknowledge a black person in when you're in an all white environment?
    me: what??!! you don't see a black person and say hello when it's just y'all??
    me: YOU DON'T DO THE NOD?? ARE YOU FOR REAL!!
    me: NEVER???
    daughter: (not interested in my shock or surprise and starts texting)....uh, no

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why i like the show:

-a show about a nuclear black family living in a nice house in a nice neighborhood
    -black people look nice, nice modern clothes, nice hair (featuring natural and straight styles)
    -nothing is too much of a stretch (irl there is a black couple at my daughter's church where the wife is a doctor and husband is a business man and they have 5 kids!)
    -nice that the grandad lives in the home with them to bellow out some of my no nonsense feelings
    -the set is modern looking (love the twins bedroom) and there is no annoying canned laughter
    -the show discusses some of the inner conflict i've dealt with in the work world
    -the show attempts to deal with what it means to be black and how blackness is different between generations (the grandfather v the parents v the children) and within generations (the wife v husband)

what i do not like about the show

and this is a big one...

-maybe whites are the writers for the show but black people don't go through these exercises of questioning our blackness and wondering if this or that was racist just because we have nothing else better to do. no, there is a cause! this show misleads the public into thinking blacks are emotionally insecure and that we need to learn to let go of racial thoughts because we over think in our daily lives. if i were a white person watching the show, i'd think black people are crazy and race obsessed (as many irl do feel). no!! people treat us poorly and act crazy and we are constantly having to shift and change and modify and deal and try to fit in...don't place the blame on our shoulders and then have a chuckle about it.
    Last edited by frau; 10-12-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Did anyone see the latest episode #3? Do you agree with "the nod?"
    Normally I give eye contact and acknowledge anyone who acknowledges me.... It can be perceived as "the nod" on the opposite end and vice-versa. I experienced the nod and sometimes black folks just look straight ahead and make no eye contact. I can't say whether I agree or disagree with "the nod" when I'm open to people in general. It's just refreshing for some to see like kind.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I finally caught up on the episodes. I was a little concerned after watching the pilot that it would be over-the-top "racial' but it's not. I like the show. It's funny (I laughed out loud several times) and smart. My favorite character is the youngest daughter. Then grandpa. I love the idea of a show about a black nuclear family, and a show in which black folks aren't overrun with buffoonery and negativity. I will continue to support it and I hope it does well.
    ~Love the hair you have~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frau View Post
    what i do not like about the show

and this is a big one...

-maybe whites are the writers for the show but black people don't go through these exercises of questioning our blackness and wondering if this or that was racist just because we have nothing else better to do. no, there is a cause! this show misleads the public into thinking blacks are emotionally insecure and that we need to learn to let go of racial thoughts because we over think in our daily lives. if i were a white person watching the show, i'd think black people are crazy and race obsessed (as many irl do feel). no!! people treat us poorly and act crazy and we are constantly having to shift and change and modify and deal and try to fit in...don't place the blame on our shoulders and then have a chuckle about it.
    From what I understand, Blackish has a diverse writers room. Also, some of the producers are Black--including Anthony Anderson and Laurence Fishburne. The show's creator is Black as well.

As for the thing that you mentioned as a problem, I disagree. I think those elements as a part of what makes Blackish resonate with its audience. For instance, as a Black person sometimes it's hard not to notice certain aspects of how different situations unfold, and wonder whether or not what happened--or what was said, etc.--was motivated by someone else's ignorance.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast