Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Latchers/Interlockers: How worried are you about Ys at the base?

It seems like I come across a lot of people who are too afraid to try to latch their own locs because they are worried they might create Ys at the base of their locs by accident. Or, they are mad at their loctician because she left Ys at the base when he/she latched for them.

Is this one of those things where it's a bigger deal based on the thickness of your locs? And hair type?

I had two sets of locs, one thin set and one thick set, and I latched both, and I just never could quite get why Ys at the base were a big BAD thing. I mean, yeah, I tried to avoid them, obviously, because purposefully latching through the same hole over and over and over leaves holes in your locs, of course.

-But once in a while, especially when I was first learning and was at an area where I couldn't see well, I may have accidentally ended with a Y, and not have enough room for fixing it without drawing my loc too tight.

It was never a big deal to me because a) I don't think they look "bad", in fact I barely notice them and b) When you let it grow a bit and get some new growth, and let that one particular loc get good and baggy, that "y" kinda meshes up, closing the space left, disappears, and is easy to fix by latching crossways through the Y, thus closing it up, at the next latching.

This time around, I tried latching with a new type of gel, and I ended up with quite a few Ys, because it's been a while since I latched with gel this way. It still looks nice and it's no big deal. Just waiting for some new growth so I can fix them.

Am I missing something? Are "Y"s a bigger deal to some other people? Just wondering. a lot of people ask me about my hair and then say they are too afraid to do their own because of the Ys. There are no latchers around here for at least about 2 hours. You have to try, make some mistakes, and learn to fix them in order to learn. I don't think Ys are that big a deal enough to completely forgo learning an aspect of doing our own hair over. then again I am only familiar with my own Ys, so maybe they are more detrimental depending on the hair type, I dunno.
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 09-27-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I interlock my own hair and I use a paperclip with a rubberband around it. I only had my hair latch hooked (interlocked) once professionally and since then have interlocked twice myself. I am not afraid of a Y because I just make sure that I am going in different directions with different hairs. I can see someone making mistakes early in the process when DIY but even then, I was so aware of not creating Y's that I managed to retighten and do just fine. So far so good after 3 retightens. Even combined a few.
    Last perm cut off January 2009
    Follow me at : http://vetsnaturalhairblog.blogspot.com/

I love my natural Hair!!!!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always a latcher (10yrs?) never a worry. When the new growth comes in, I rotate it to the next position and voila the Y is closed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never saw it as a big issue either. Like others if I get them I either pull the hair back through or just lac across the Y to close it. I would think it only stays a problem with really thick locs. With some I let that particular loc grow out a while before latching across, it depends on the texture of the hair in that area.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Latchers/Interlockers: How worried are you about Ys at the base?

The "y's" never bother me!
    I Rock Locs && My Locs Rock!!