Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default White Mother Sues Sperm Bank After Birth of Mixed-Race Daughter

I don't have time to comment/rant but I know this will be of interest to people here:

White Mother Sues Sperm Bank After Birth of Mixed-Race Daughter

http://www.theroot.com/articles/cult..._daughter.html

draw your attention to this:

"One of the couple’s concerns involves getting Payton’s hair done. It requires Cramblett to travel to a black community where she is 'not overtly welcome.'"

I will say this though: I feel for the child more than anyone else. Sending prayers.
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ .**♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is terrible. I agree with you, UtH and I will pray for that baby. How hurtful these women must be to keep the child for a lawsuit instead of turning her over for adoption.
    AKA: fuzzy_slippers

Still Nappy. Still Happy, ya'll!

3. Likes underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the couple’s concerns involves getting Payton’s hair done. It requires Cramblett to travel to a black community where she is “not overtly welcome.”

No, you don't, actually. Do you own a computer? Is there a library with a computer in your town? Do you have family or friends that own a computer? Can you borrow it for a little bit? Try the internet, please, instead of coming up with a list of terrible excuses for why you cannot accept the Blackness of your child.

Like Squiggly says above, turn the child in to people who would love and take of her; you can't accept your kid, but you can use her as a cash cow.

Further, Cramblett is concerned about her family, which the lawsuit states is an “all white and unconsciously insensitive family.”
    I know PeopleofColor have talked about living in these small-town, all-white places in Utah and elsewhere. At the least being treated like an alien/stared at, and at the most being out-rightly disrespected for being People or Color. I can imagine they'd also be intolerant or hateful of people living openly in same-sex unions, if they hate people that aren't like them. These discriminations usually go together.

If this family is "unconsciously intolerant", are they so about homosexuality and same-sex relationships? Has their family been able to accept and love her being in a relationship with a woman? If so, then maybe they wouldn't be so intolerant about a human half-Black child. Like d*mn. Start with yourself and your own "intolerance".

Cramblett and her partner have stated that there are challenges to raising Payton in the small, virtually all-white town of Uniontown, Ohio. Cramblett stated in the lawsuit that she was raised in a community that held racially intolerant beliefs about people of color. Cramblett did not meet any black Americans until she attended college. The lawsuit states that it is because of her upbringing that “Jennifer acknowledges her limited cultural competency relative to African-Americans and steep learning curve, particularly in small, homogenous Uniontown, which she regards as too racially intolerant.”
    And so? This means we're not human? LOL. "Limited cultural competency" sounds like some White liberal bull. I understand you live around no Black people and grew up around all-White people, but damn. They way some White people talk about Black people, you would think we came from another planet or that we would have nothing in common. No shared humanity.

If you're havin this much f@ckin trouble living in this town with your Black child, then move, like your therapist says. It looks like it would be much better for you and your partner and the mental and emotional health of your mixed-race baby. Seriously. D@mn.
    Last edited by Ororo; 10-02-2014 at 03:32 AM.

5. Likes meagan22, underthehood, redhead1234 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^thank you! You said everything that I was thinking as a read this.

The thing is, I understand that they feel cheated. They probably spent a lot of time and energy trying to pick the perfect match only to have the clinic screw up all their careful planning.

That should have been the whole basis of their complaint, not how unwilling they were or how hard it will be to accommodate the child that they willingly brought into their homes and community.

Especially when there are so many black/minority kids that are being raised under similar circumstances. As a lesbian couple, they should be hyper aware of the messages that they're sending out and be actively trying to combat those prejudices.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scientists can't play God. This is a blessing in more ways than one.
    I hope she gets a black judge that dismiss her case... lol.

8. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. The reasons you're not "overtly welcome" is not the same ones you think they are.
    Thanks to whoever panked me!

10. Likes underthehood, Mojito Chica liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She said they had wanted a blonde baby.

Anyhow, the real victim here is that poor child.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I posted on my FB page: I don't have time to discuss everything that's wrong with this story...

I actually agree with the lawsuit BUT ideally they should also give the child up for adoption now while she's still relatively young, preferably to a family in a different state. With luck she'll completely forget about these "parents" of hers. Better she suffer that separation trauma now than later. (I'm thinking about that four-year-old who was in that heavily publicized adoption battle some years back...don't remember all of it but it was a white boy and I believe he ended up going to his bio-dad after spending his whole life with his adoptive parents.)

Also, when she's (considerably) older her adoptive parents can let her know what happened in a way that won't be (too) terrible.

This is what infuriates me about "colorblindness": It's a COMPLETE LIE. And that's all I'm going to say on this subject because I just got off work and I don't need to get my blood pressure up...
    How will your 2019 be different than any other year?

13. Thanks MommieDearest thanked for this post
    Likes Ororo, underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That poor child is being used as a pawn for the mother and her husband to make money. If she truly cared about this baby she would put her up for adoption so a family who could love her and support her could give her the life she deserves.

It makes me sick to my stomach to think about what this little girl will go through if she has to stay with those people who are OBVIOUSLY backwards, small-minded ignoramuses.

I understand they did not "get what they paid for" and the bank did not exercise a duty of care when they messed up BUT the most important person in this entire fiasco is that little baby and no amount of money will change the rotten life she will have with those people if she remains with them.

15. Likes MommieDearest liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Unpopular opinion alert*

I'm not upset with this couple for being upset that they got a mixed-race baby when they were expecting a white baby. If I were in a similar situation and got a mixed-race baby when I was expecting a black baby, I would certainly be disraught. I'm also not upset with their decision to sue the sperm bank because obviously someone dropped the ball.

Now, with that out of the way, I agree with LaBell, Dee and others who stated that the right thing for the couple to do is to give the baby up for adoption if they are unable (or unwilling) to make the adjustments necessary to raise her in a safe, loving environment. They need to do this immediately. That child did not ask to come here, and she deserves to be with parents who WANT her and will LOVE her unconditionally.
    ~Love the hair you have~

17. Likes KoilyLocGirl, underthehood, tjolims liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast