Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Raven Simone is now "colorless" and a "human who loves humans"

Raven Simone rejects labels so she isn't black or gay

Hmmmmm.. Interesting. Any thoughts on what it means to be "colorless?" Or "sexual orientation-less?"

And while you're at it, can someone enlighten me on what, exactly, is a "nice, interesting grade of hair" is? Please and thank you.
    ~Love the hair you have~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all for dropping labels, if that's how you choose to live. The problem is, if the world sees you a certain way and that reality will not change no matter how many labels you dissociate from.

As for the "nice, interesting grade of hair" enlightenment...look in the mirror, and at my avatar, and to the right at the supernatural pics. That should clear it up for you.

I think Raven is just hopping on the latest fad and I don't really care how she does or does not see color or gender. Aren't they both, according to many, just a social construct anyway?
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KoilyLocGirl View Post

As for the "nice, interesting grade of hair" enlightenment...look in the mirror, and at my avatar, and to the right at the supernatural pics. That should clear it up for you.

I just find it interesting that she's all about dropping the labels African-American and gay, but then turns around and uses labels to describe who she connects with (black, Asian, caucasian, Indian, American). *shrugs* I wonder how Azmarie feels about Raven rejecting "gay."
    ~Love the hair you have~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she went from "human who loves humans" (aren't we all?) to encapsulating herself as "american", which, is really just another label...

"american is a colourless person" yes, in some ideal world maybe but on the subject of labels and perceptions, she clearly hasn't done much international travel. if you say someones american overseas, that label, usually brings to mind the "default" white american

she's expressing herself in the way she would in an ideal "colourblind" world (or what she imagines an ideal world look like). i find that problematic though when there is a very real unideal world out there, where identity cannot simply be summed up into "american".
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HER reality is hers but sorry to say that the world will not see her as her reality sees her. I think I know where she wants to be coming from but what she is saying just isn't realistic. Saying she's not gay and she's not Black while she is in a gay relationship and Black (talking about "grades" of hair) doesn't make sense to me.

6. Thanks Scribetastic thanked for this post
    Likes ~GAN~, Scribetastic liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She's young, she'll learn.

8. Thanks Scribetastic thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The *thought* of everyone being colorless is cute and admirable. However, she is a black woman no matter what TV show she was on and how much money she's bringing in. If I remember correctly, I think she said she has "good hair" in the good hair movie Chris Rock did. I just think she's not there yet. It took me time to understand "African American". Our society has shunned anything African. That includes blacks and we still segregate ourselves till this day, so its no surprise that people don't want to be "labeled".

I saw a conservative blog post a link to an article about this and it said something about "take that race baiters". She fell right into their hands. I feel like when people deny the "label", if that's even the correct term for something that IS you, you are helping the people who want to erase us, want us to conform to European standards, or claim we are all equal when we are clearly not.

I personally don't want to be "colorless". I'm tired of text books and people trying to erase or water down what black/African American is. I think she'll get there one day though. Everyone arrives at different places of self-realization at different times. I honestly think she will become more informed after the backlash.
    Last edited by ~GAN~; 10-08-2014 at 02:16 AM.

10. Thanks Serbbral, Ororo thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ~GAN~ View Post
    [COLOR=#0000ff]
    I personally don't want to be "colorless". I'm tired of text books and people trying to erase or water down what black/African American is. I think she'll get there one day though. Everyone arrives at different places of self-realization at different times. I honestly think she will become more informed after the backlash.
    Me either.

Call me old-fashioned, but Black is Beautiful and Colorless is for Pokemon Cards.
    AKA: fuzzy_slippers

Still Nappy. Still Happy, ya'll!

12. Likes MommieDearest, ~GAN~ liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ~GAN~ View Post

I saw a conservative blog post a link to an article about this and it said something about "take that race baiters". She fell right into their hands. I feel like when people deny the "label", if that's even the correct term for something that IS you, you are helping the people who want to erase us, want us to conform to European standards, or claim we are all equal when we are clearly not.

~Love the hair you have~

14. Thanks ~GAN~ thanked for this post
    Likes underthehood, ~GAN~ liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

16. Likes lea23, MommieDearest, ~GAN~, OHR liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast