Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thinking of cutting my locs

Hello its been years since I have been on the boards. I have been locked for several years now. My locs are to my bra strap and when stretched almost to my waistline. ( I will see if I can post pictures later) I am so grateful to have taken this journey. They were really easy to maintain as I started and have maintained my locs all by myself over the years. However, I'm now feeling like I would like to have loose hair again. Here is my concern. There are now so many new products lines on the market and I don't remember everything that was part of my hair regime pre locs. Have any of you cut your locs and found that your hair needed different products than what you used prior to locs? Next I'm thinking a tapered cut would be nice. How realistic are my thoughts that I can leave about four inches of locs on the top and two inches around the sides and back and unravel the rest. I'm considering starting the take down process when I am done with this semester of graduate school, so sometime in December. I love the locs but the longer they get the longer it takes to re-tighten my roots and though I'm missing loose hair I would like something that I can was and be done with within the hour. Currently it takes me three days or so working through a section of locs to tighten 2 to 3 hours at a time. I think a tapered cut would be ideal in getting me used to loose hair again. It would be a cute funky style and I could get used to twist out again and figure out what products work for my hair loose and then possibly grow it out.

Any thoughts tips, etc. would be appreciated.
    Big Chop 10/15/06
    1 year nappiversary and counting!!!
    Loced Up6/5/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi moving to the appropriate board. Good luck with your new journey!
    Miss T
    Sr. NappRegulator

LockUp is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Thinking of cutting my locs

I think your hair may need different products because of all that goodness you have under your locs. I just literaly chopped off mine and the stylist was astonished by the degree of my healthy hair,of course me being a guy notwithstanding, I cannot offer any real tips. However , I thought i would shoott you some encouragement, however judging by the date of this post, you maybe already be post chop.
    Life is an interlude to Death

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Thinking of cutting my locs

Quote Originally Posted by tuzor View Post
    Hello its been years since I have been on the boards. I have been locked for several years now. My locs are to my bra strap and when stretched almost to my waistline. ( I will see if I can post pictures later) I am so grateful to have taken this journey. They were really easy to maintain as I started and have maintained my locs all by myself over the years. However, I'm now feeling like I would like to have loose hair again. Here is my concern. There are now so many new products lines on the market and I don't remember everything that was part of my hair regime pre locs. Have any of you cut your locs and found that your hair needed different products than what you used prior to locs? Next I'm thinking a tapered cut would be nice. How realistic are my thoughts that I can leave about four inches of locs on the top and two inches around the sides and back and unravel the rest. I'm considering starting the take down process when I am done with this semester of graduate school, so sometime in December. I love the locs but the longer they get the longer it takes to re-tighten my roots and though I'm missing loose hair I would like something that I can was and be done with within the hour. Currently it takes me three days or so working through a section of locs to tighten 2 to 3 hours at a time. I think a tapered cut would be ideal in getting me used to loose hair again. It would be a cute funky style and I could get used to twist out again and figure out what products work for my hair loose and then possibly grow it out.

Any thoughts tips, etc. would be appreciated.
    I always cut my hair... but if you wanted different styling options I probably wouldn't cut it... cutting the sides might seem interesting but there's nothing different to do with it than cut it all off at the end. And then it takes a while to grow back. Do you like accessories in your hair?...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics