Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do You Trust the CDC about Ebola?

Quote Originally Posted by MommieDearest View Post
    I think they will come up with a vaccine like they did when the H1N1 virus hit a few years ago. They have to do something before the holiday season because that's when airline travel is high, increasing the risk of spreading.

But I definitely believe that there is a lot of information that is being kept from the public.
    I doubt there would be an available vaccine for all by the holiday. Folks will take chances traveling. Air travel in certain regions will diminish. Folks rather be alive for future holidays than take a risk on one.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't trust mainstream media coverage of this outbreak period. Alarmist responses irritate the crap out of me and are unproductive. Also, this isn't an "African" outbreak. It's happened in specific countries/communities on the continent, although the media would have folks believe otherwise. I know Canada has sent a vaccine to those affected in their respective countries as well as I believe the British have. These aren't "approved" cures, but based on the limited testing, they seem to work. Don't know about the U.S., but of course this aid was provided before folks were privy to the break out happening in The U.S. To me, if a country has the ability to help another country in need, I don't see why they shouldn't do it. One doesn't have to come at the expense of the other.

Also, I do think it's a legitimate question regarding healthcare provided in poorer communities in the United States. If poorer people are more likely to avoid going to the doctor due to lack of medical coverage, they could be getting symptoms of the virus and not seek help or try to self medicate. Will the government make provisions to see to it that ALL citizens receive the vaccine they have available for Ebola, if it even comes to that?

3. Likes MommieDearest liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautifully Human View Post
    Also, I do think it's a legitimate question regarding healthcare provided in poorer communities in the United States. If poorer people are more likely to avoid going to the doctor due to lack of medical coverage, they could be getting symptoms of the virus and not seek help or try to self medicate.
    Poor people in America can get Medicaid. I grew up using Medicaid from birth through getting my first job out of college.

Additionally, since this is a public health crisis, Ebola treatment may be free.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just can't with such tin foil hat conspiracy theories.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

6. Thanks Scribetastic thanked for this post
    Likes underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Poor people in America can get Medicaid. I grew up using Medicaid from birth through getting my first job out of college.

Additionally, since this is a public health crisis, Ebola treatment may be free.
    "Ebola treatment may be free." Maybe free? It should be free since it is a public health crisis. You grew up using Medicaid so you would know the system. Right? Why would you then write, "Ebola treatment may be free.", especially if poor people have no way to pay for it? This is the problem with the so called Medicaid/Medicare system (sic). It only goes so far. I've lived in poor neighborhoods most of my life, and have seen those on Medicaid not get certain care because Medicaid wouldn't pay for it. Charities would only go so far. So they (poor people) just suffer until they have to go to the hospital, but by then they are dying, having a part of the body amputated, becoming permanently disabled, or they have to wait until the medicine or qualified doctor comes, etc.

My concern is what areas of the US will they begin to quarantine areas to slow or stop the spread of the disease. IMO, that's the first step in controlling the disease. Then how will that community survive? Air drops? It may not come to that, but right now the CDC is not having town meetings to answer people's questions. Until the CDC does so, then many people will question the CDC about its competence.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming the statement "may be free" means it's possible there's no cost, but not 100% certain.

I've lived in poor neighborhoods most of my life, and have seen those on Medicaid not get certain care because Medicaid wouldn't pay for it. Charities would only go so far. So they (poor people) just suffer until they have to go to the hospital, but by then they are dying, having a part of the body amputated, becoming permanently disabled, or they have to wait until the medicine or qualified doctor comes, etc.
    Depending upon the type of "care", many individuals face similar issues even with good insurance. Pertaining to the poor, many avoid routine examinations and/or ignore medical advice. Medicaid will only pay for the basics in serious cases. It's also important to seek a medical facility that accepts Medicaid. The problems: doctor's accepting the coverage; fraud & inadequate care from a percentage that does accept Medicaid.

RE: Ebola/Poor Americans - I doubt the poor will be excluded. Their problem eventually becomes America's issue. Disease and death doesn't discriminate. Sometimes money and insurance can't buy health and life.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

Personally, I'm not sure what to believe with this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by deecoily View Post
    I think the main thing is to contain. I suspect that what we may see are travel restrictions - temperatures taken and quarantine requirements from anyone with any passports stamped with an ebola-stricken country within the previous 21 days. This may slow the spread but not eliminate it.

The best possible scenario is a cure. Once a disease starts affecting Europeans / Caucasians, that's when you see some action regarding a cure.

The CDC has the resources but it has had funding cuts too. If people start panicking, things will be out of their control. Fast.
    "The backlash against bone-straight hair can't come quickly enough: I like my hair with its Afro personality intact." --Hannah Pool, journalist

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the life of me, please help me understand. As a trained researcher, the logic escapes me. Maybe I'm being too darn analytical. But, from my place of employment to what I dug up there is so far NO logical reason to believe that Ebola is not airborne. Ok, there's no conclusive data to support it is or it is not. But what we DO know is that hospitals, the govt etc are buying up hazmat suits like crazy, skin exposure is a 'breech in protocol' making one susceptible etc (w/o contact physically)…and the etiology of this disease is unknown. So, why tell us that body fluid transmission is the only way to get it? It does not add up to the death toll, the physical evidence or logic so far. The only thing I can surmise is 'crowd control.'

I am more than open to an explanation if anyone has one. Because I'm just too cynical to buy it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I think the answer hinges on the technical definition of airborne. It usually refers to a disease that can travel through the air with no direct transmission of bodily fluids. So, a person with the flu can sneeze across the room from you and there's a chance that the virus survives in teeny tiny saliva droplets and make it over to you.

They haven't found that to be true of Ebola. If someone was standing directly in front you, sneezed without covering their mouth and some of their spray got into your eyes, mouth, or nose that way, then that's a different story. That's not airborne, though, that's direct transmission. Also, since coughing and sneezing aren't really symptoms of the illness, it's rare that that'll even be a concern.

Think of it like mono. It's contagious via direct contact with saliva droplets, but it's not airborne.

Ebola is a strange case b/c almost all bodily fluids can transmit the virus including sweat, which is I think where the nurses and other personnel are running into problems. They've touched the patient with their gloved hand, but maybe touched their faces as they were trying to remove their masks.

It makes sense, then, that the gov & hospitals are advising acting with an abundance of caution regarding these cases hence the hazmat suits. If even sweat can transmit the disease, what does that mean for all the other bodily fluids that can (and probably will) come out during the course of the patient's stay?

Eta: From a nurse's pov..."Why we shouldn't be surprised a nurse contracted Ebola in the US"

wp.me/p3KbxL-bm

Short answer: 1) Poor training & complicated instructions (click on the vox link for a detailed sample) 2) The Dallas staff didn't even receive the hazmat suits until after it was confirmed that the patient had Ebola.
    Last edited by skittles04; 10-24-2014 at 03:40 AM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S04,

Interesting analyses!
    The part that is still concerning to me: "breeches in protocol" involving neck skin. There's more to this than saliva etc.

Another concern, when Thomas was in the ER for hours around other patients 'in the room'.Why would sitting in a room cause concern? It does - as we saw in Liberia over the past few months as the virus spread with minor contact. Stay tuned. I'm starting to see more articles seed this theory. I don't easily believe it's a myth and just seek to empower myself and others if possible - not to cause concern, just increase awareness. I look at this criteria of Ebola transmission with a serious *side-eye.

Ebola Airborne?

*disclaimer I am NOT sure this is a credible source, I've just seen an increase in writings to only suggest a possibility that this may be the next criteria that changes re. Ebola.
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 10-24-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast