Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Why wash your hair in the sink?

People get grossed out that hair is washed or even styled in the kitchen. I had no idea--because this was always much easier on my mother's back than bending over us in the bathroom. I had no idea this was gross to some people, until I started making videos on YouTube of myself working on my girls' hair in the kitchen. I received comments and messages that this was unsanitary. I have enough sense to keep the hair away from the food and to clean up after myself. There's more space and light. When the girls do their own hair, they work in the bathroom. If I am doing anything--it's in the kitchen.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like washing my hair in the shower because it is such a long process and I don't wanna be wet and shivering that long. So most of the time I wash my hair in the sink (but we have one in the laundry room) or leaning over the tub.
    BC'd: June 14th 2010! // Twitter // Blog

Go PANK. DO IT!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeverGiveup View Post
    People get grossed out that hair is washed or even styled in the kitchen. I had no idea--because this was always much easier on my mother's back than bending over us in the bathroom. I had no idea this was gross to some people, until I started making videos on YouTube of myself working on my girls' hair in the kitchen. I received comments and messages that this was unsanitary. I have enough sense to keep the hair away from the food and to clean up after myself. There's more space and light. When the girls do their own hair, they work in the bathroom. If I am doing anything--it's in the kitchen.
    I am one of those people. It is how I was raised so I find it unsanitary to do or wash hair where meals are prepared. I don't see how it can be okay....but that's just me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought only youtubers did this to show the audience how they wash their hair. had NO idea people did this for real. never heard of it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up getting my hair washed in the sink. I didn't wash my hair in the shower until I got to college. And now my kids get their hair washed in the sink. I've tried to do it in the bath tub but it's a no go.
    Last CFC: Fall 06
    1st BC: 8.8.07
    2nd BC: 5.28.11

6. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too am in the group who grew up with my mother washing our hair in the sink That was then followed with pre.ssing hair using the stove. Everything was done in the kitchen.
    Last re.laxer Dec 2006
    BC'd Jan 25, 2008
    2nd BC June 2012

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up getting my hair washed in the sink. The kitchen was where almost everything happened. People came over, they sat in the kitchen. Homework help? Kitchen. Playing games? Kitchen. We even got spanked in the kitchen because that's where the wooden spoon was.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

9. Likes KnottyAuthor, Napia Mia liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never understood how washing your hair in the kitchen sink was considered unsanitary. It would be best to say that most people are disinfecting their sinks before and after hair washing. I used both the sink and the shower. I also used the kitchen sink to clean my clothes. It is easier for me to stand up and wash certain articles of clothing than to kneel and wash but that's just me.

Everyone that ate food at my house never suffered from food poisoning.
    2 Awesome 2be forgotten Mia Fite/ etifaim luv u 4life

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Napia Mia View Post
    Growing up, many older homes didn't have showers, so everyone I knew washed their hair in the sink...it was the norm.
    YEP! LOL! No showers (or working ones?) when I was little. Funny, but washing your hair in the shower seemed to be a white lady thing that happened on commercials. That's where I got the idea as a new nappy that I was supposed to swish my hair around as I washed. Um, can we say detangling nightmare?! I learned not to do that, thanks to NP.

Back to the sink-washing thing, I started washing my hair in the shower (and actually taking showers versus tub baths) in college because there wasn't a sink and I darned sure wasn't going to use the one tub in the dorm.
    My Travel Blog | October 2007 Napptural of the Month (still looking for the link)

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."
    ~Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes, I just need to wash my hair and don't need a full shower or bath, like when I dye my hair or tried a style that use a lot of gel and hated how the gel made my hair feel, and the kitchen sink it higher than the tub so I don't have to bend over as much or kneel on the floor. Other than it being easier on my back and only wetting my head, that's it.

I don't see how people can find it so unsanitary and gross. It's hair and soap and maybe some oils, aloe, and acv if you get fancy and none of that ever gave anyone salmonella like raw meat can.
    Last edited by SilverLotusGirl; 04-16-2017 at 12:59 AM.
    Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used against you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast