Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Breakage with Protective Style

and not in the hairline/edges area

I installed Havana twists around two weeks ago and each time wash day came around (2nd one today) I've noticed that my hair looks really fine (not thick) after taking the twists out to wash them. I used Marley hair so it is drying but I moisturize my hair each day. Today I've noticed that I've lost length - albeit 1/4 an inch all over

I believe the loss could be because I usually put my twists into a semi tight ponytail each day so I'll try not doing that for about a month

Has anyone ever experienced this with their extension twist/braid Protective Styles or own natural hair? Do you have any tips or advice?

Thanks Ladies!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Breakage with Protective Style

When I get styles with extensions, I cannot manipulate the root area for a few days without soreness then breakages. The heavier the added hair, the looser my styles have to be.
    AKA: fuzzy_slippers

Still Nappy. Still Happy, ya'll!

3. Thanks trueimage15 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had breakage from extensions that were too tight. I also lost hair from "protective styles" that didn't involve added hair. I learned that depending on your hair, a style may be protective.....or not. It is good you are keeping a watch on your hair to figure out what works for you. I do agree that if the hair is too heavy or tight it will cause hair loss.

5. Thanks trueimage15 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I stopped relaxing in 2002, I ended up wearing extension hair for three years and NEVER had breakage of any kind. It wasn't until I started wearing my own hair in twists and box braids that I began experiencing issues with breakage...and I mean BAD breakage... especially in my parts. Just last winter, I took my hair out of some two-strand twists that I'd had up for maybe three weeks. When I took them down, my hair had broken off across the back in one of my parts stretching from ear to ear. And I mean breakage down to the scalp, sigh...

I've worn my hair like that on many occasions for weeks and weeks and weeks on end and never had a problem and then BAM! there it is rearing it's ugly head again. I think I found some breakage in other parts as well.

When it comes to breakage, my hair has been nothing but one big head of headaches. Breakage from chemicals is one of the main reason that I went natural to begin with, and I'm going to say that I honestly think I've had as many issues with breakage being natural as I did when I was relaxed.

The difference this time around is that I think natural hair styles camoflage it better. But breakage aside, for me, there are more pros than cons to being natural so I have never had a desire to going back to the other side. For one, I retain better length as a natural than I did with relaxers. I think I have more styling options as a natural and it's the most practical way to wear my hair now that I'm so active (I run, swim, dance etc.) on a regular basis. Plus I have been having horrible hot flashes for coming up on five years now so I sweat in the scalp profusely. It could be one of the reasons my hair breaks so easily... all the hormones swinging every which way and all the meds I'm on for various reasons.

This time around, when I discovered the breakage, I just shrugged it off. I'm so not pressed. Just slapped my hair up in a puff. No body knows what's going on up under there but me.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

7. Thanks trueimage15 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lockolatte View Post
    I learned that depending on your hair, a style may be protective.....or not. It is good you are keeping a watch on your hair to figure out what works for you.
    I completely agree with this. If this particular style isn't working for your hair, try something different. It simply may not like it (even if you do). I was going to suggest moisturizing, but you stated you did that already. Good luck!
    My Travel Blog | October 2007 Napptural of the Month (still looking for the link)

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."
    ~Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

9. Thanks trueimage15 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that marley hair. Seriously, that stuff is rough. When I wore kinky twists the last time, I made sure to co-wash weekly and moisturize daily. Without doing that, the marley hair would leave my hair feeling dry and brittle. And I noticed the same thing; it felt like I had less hair on my head. I believe that rough marley hair "cuts" natural hair.

Especially with the way marley and kinky twists are done: Rolling the 2 strands as you twist them. I noticed that puts a lot of stress on my natural hair. But say, if I were to do mini twists (my hair only) it wouldn't have that effect. And then depending on how gently or roughly the extensions are removed, that can have an impact as well.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

11. Thanks trueimage15 thanked for this post