Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thinking about changing my name on my resume..HELP

First, let me say I haven't posted in Nappturality in FOREVER, but I always think of you ladies and have been meaning to come back.

So when I came up with this dilemma, I could think of no group of people better to ask than all of you! Here's the story:

I've been having issues with finding work ever since I graduated in May. I have so much experience, and I worked really hard over the past few years to build the perfect resume. For example, being president of my chapter of the public relations society, volunteering, networking, etc.

Everyone who has looked at my resume has said "Oh wow, you're amazing," but I'm somehow not getting ANY call backs when I apply to jobs. Between May and now, I've literally received ONE response. The job I have now, I got because my former boss recommended me.

I honestly think my last name is holding me back. I've thought about it over and over and over. I've tweaked my resume, tweaked my cover letter, applied to a broader spectrum of jobs, etc etc. Still nothing. Meanwhile, I've helped people with their shit resumes, people who I thought didn't have enough experience to get hired, get hired before me! And interview for jobs that I've also applied for.

I've done the job of looking at resumes for hire. I know how it goes. I would never discriminated based on a name, but I know how easy it is to do without even realizing (and statistics also confirm this).
    So my only question now is what to do about it? I've considered changing my last name on my CV, but working in PR that also means changing it EVERYWHERE (Twitter, LinkedIn, Insta, etc).

Then there's the question of what I'd change it to. My middle name and mother's maiden name don't work because it is just as foreign. Maybe my dad's first or middle name? I have no idea.

What do you guys think? I really need some advice on this one, I just have no idea how to move forward.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Thinking about changing my name on my resume..HELP

Just how foreign is your name?

I also had problems finding a job since graduation in May. I ended up deleting much of my experience, qualifications, my professional associations, even changed the name of my degrees. Now that I have a job, I see how the man who hired me is going through resumes for other positions and it turns my stomach. It's all split second, like or dislike... One person had a four year gap in his employment. Trash can. One woman had too much experience (even though it was directly related to the org.) trash can. One man had too much education. Trash can. I shudder to think what would have happened to my resume if I hadn't shortened and sanitized it.

3. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about putting the first letter of your first and your whole last name? they'll see your real name when you sign I9s and W4s

5. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, interesting topic. I've definitely joked with friends that I'd get more call backs if I tacked a "-awski" to the end of my last name but I never really considered it.

What field are you job hunting in?
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝