Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: We Need Another African-American President

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbread View Post
    My concern with "a break before another one comes along" is that we as a people will just be satisfied with one black president. During this break, other presidents who won't represent us will come, and throw us a bone. Then we'll be like we were with the Clintons.
    I understand where you're coming from w/the other named Republicans. However, I still prefer them, including Thomas, than a white Democrat. At least as our children grow up, they will be used to seeing dark skinned people in positions of national authority. It's better than having those positions "lily white" and no hope of getting in.
    I'm just a realist, and I'm pretty much certain we're not going to get a black president in the 2016 election. Right now, we're more likely to get a woman, Hilary, or a Latino, Mark Rubio (or Jeb Bush. ).

I'd also challenge the that black kids see no one like them in the upper ranks of authority. Hell, when I was a kid there were politicians like Maxine Waters representing the district in L.A. where I grew up, and now I'm way past childhood.

It's only gotten better if we're counting blacks on all sides of the political fence: Condi, Colin Powell, Justice Thomas, Joycelyn Elders are just the prominent ones.

I went to Wikipedia and pulled the lists of all the black incumbents in Congress: Senate and the House. This is a LONG list of blacks in elected positions in Federal government. I'm not saying that having a black president isn't great. It is, but black children have quite a few role models to look up to. Maybe it's an issue of knowing they are.

Here is the list:

Tim Scott, Cory Booker, John Conyers, Charles B. Rangel, John Lewis, Sanford Bishop, Corrine Brown, Jim Clyburn, Alcee Hastings, Eddie Bernice Johnson, Bobby Rush, Bobby Scott, Bennie Thompson, Sheila Jackson Lee, Chaka Fattah, Elijah Cummings, Gregory W. Meeks, Barbara Lee, Danny K. Davis, William Lacy Clay, Jr., David Scott, G. K. Butterfield, Emanuel Cleaver, Al Green (best name ever), Gwen Moore, Yvette Clarke, Keith Ellison, Hank Johnson, André Carson, Donna Edwards, Marcia Fudge, Karen Bass, Cedric Richmond, Terri Sewell, Frederica Wilson, Donald Payne, Jr., Joyce Beatty, Hakeem Jeffries, Marc Veasey, Robin Kelly, Alma Adams, Will Hurd, Brenda Lawrence, Mia Love, Bonnie Watson Coleman, Eleanor Holmes Norton, and Stacey Plaskett.

That's over 50 people elected to federal seats.

We just need to keep doing what we're doing: running for office and staying in office.

We'll get another black president, but I doubt there is anyone with what it takes to take the 2016 election. Obama had serious momentum coming in to the 2008 election. I don't see anyone else having that right now.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: We Need Another African-American President

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbread View Post
    My concern with "a break before another one comes along" is that we as a people will just be satisfied with one black president. During this break, other presidents who won't represent us will come, and throw us a bone. Then we'll be like we were with the Clintons.
    I understand where you're coming from w/the other named Republicans. However, I still prefer them, including Thomas, than a white Democrat. At least as our children grow up, they will be used to seeing dark skinned people in positions of national authority. It's better than having those positions "lily white" and no hope of getting in.
    I will be forever grateful that the very first memory of the U.S. presidency that my son will have will be of a black man holding the office. My son will know that he can be grow up to be president if he so choose. With that said, I have to disagree with the bolded.

Clarence Thomas is a perfect example of "all skinfolk ain't kinfolk." There are some black people who are so steeped in self-hatred and want so much to prove their "worthiness" to whites, that they pose a greater threat to other black folks than the most vile klansmen. Harriett Tubman knew the danger of a white-people's-boot-licking-shyt-eating-kneegrow.

Back to Uncle Thomas, he is falling lockstep with his Republican Supreme Court brethren to have black people (HIS skinfolk) stripped of the gains we made during the Civil Rights Movement. While I agree with you that white Democrats are hardly our "saviors," I would rather see one of them in office than a Republican - black or otherwise - because within the next few years, 2 - 4 of the current Supreme Court Justices will retire, and I don't want to see any conservatives appointed to replace them.
    ~Love the hair you have~

3. Thanks Scribetastic, Serbbral thanked for this post
    Likes Scribetastic, Ororo, Serbbral liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12