Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Accounting & Finance: Cash Girl in an Accrual World

Hey guys!

I am still on vacation mode after finishing up my classes.

My goal is to take FAR first in Feb. of next year. So, the plan is to start studying in November. I am still undecided on the study materials, although I like Roger...Becker is too expensive and not an option. I've heard good things about Wiley's MC test bank and the NINJA supplemental study aids.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Floetry! I was just about to see how you and the other ladies are doing! Roger talks SO FAST! But I hear the Becker instructors are boring and put you to sleep....I do know I will be supplementing with NINJA materials, the Another 71 forum is so awesome, have you checked it out? I'm doing Advanced Acctg now and Governmental in January (yeah I took way too much time off this past year but I'm back in the saddle FOR REAL) and I hear there's a lot of governmental on FAR so it would be a good segue way to start studying for it in the spring.

I'm also gearing myself up to give it my ALL in 2016, since the exam is changing - and not for the better 2nd quarter 2017 - I want to be DONE with all 4 sections before then....and I know it means a lot of sacrifice and focus....
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I can't get with the Becker instructors, . The Roger method uses mnemonics which would be helpful in memorizing a lot of information for FAR. I love Another 71 as well because there's a lot of helpful information on that forum. And, I agree that we definitely have to pass before the exam changes...my goal is to be finished by 2017. So, I know I won't have a life in the next couple of months What's crazy is that there are people who actually passed the exam within 6 months! That's a lot of dedication, sacrifice and cramming, lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah a recent grad asked if it's possible to do it next summer in 3 months....there is a "FastPass" offered by Becker and students usually like to do it before they start working in the Fall and it has been done but whew I'm hoping to finish FAR, AUD and REG in 2016 and do BEC first quarter 2017 and call it a day! Yep, enjoy your life NOW because come November you will be thinking, eating and breathing FAR!
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirah Nirvana View Post
    Yaaaas Savvy to your bump!!!

My CPA exam adventure is STILL happening! Took BEC on 4/4 and got a 73.

So...I pushed back Audit to 7/11; I just took that one. BEC retake on 8/16. FAR which has since expired in October. A good take away for everyone that will start on this journey is FOCUS and be realistic. I'm not giving up.

In other news, I'm in the market for yet another job, as usual right? Every 2 years with me.

Savvy, you are reading my mind with this business venture. Entrepreneurship is my ultimate goal!!! I know you're serious so if you want to chat about it let me know! I'm already in the business mindset and I'm itching to lean more about getting to it.
    All done

Ethics is done

I will be back with more information. But I'm applying for my license.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YAY Mirah!!! YOU ARE MY SHERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm leaping and dancing like a stone cold fool for you! Party over here.....party over here....

I'm doing the CGFM, just applied and got my eligibility to sit letter so I'll be getting my materials soon. I'm also a month away from finishing advanced acctg, then I'm taking an 8 week governmental course in January with a plan to apply for CPA in March but doing double duty with CGFM along the way. I want to be DONE with that before I even start with the CPA so I can say I have a cert behind my name and focus solely on the CPA when the time comes....I'm still applying for government gigs and I know it's well respected by the feds so I'm going for it!

Still trying to decide b/w Roger and Becker, Floetry what did you end up doing??

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys!! Congrats Mirah!!

I am still studying for FAR, but it's a bit overwhelming! I am thinking about switching gears and maybe start off with BEC first...what do you guys think?

Oh, and I was offered a Sr. Tax position with a non-profit organization! Yay, 'mo money...I decided to go with Roger & supplement with the Wiley test bank, along with the NINJA notes. Becker is just too expensive.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is good ole Roger? I'm hoping I can stomach his frenetic style....you know FAR is overwhelming girl it has the most road to cover, if it were me I would just stick it out, they say if you put in the time you WILL pass, I know I sound like a broken record don't I? Congrats on the new gig tho, let us know what you decide!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey y'all!

I'm finally licensed woo hoo! I'm searchable and everything! I'll come back with some more detail and insight.

2015 was interesting. I quit my corporate job, and got my license the last day of the year. I'm self employed now. I enjoy this a lot more. And with my CPA I'm sure there will be so many opportunities for me!

10. Likes Savantrice, meagan22 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awesome Mirah! You continue to be an inspiration and now you can write your own ticket for the rest of your life! I see all these young folks dying to get into the Big 4 and if they knew what I knew they would do exactly what you did - get out and be your own boss! I appreciate the experiences I've had the past umpteen years and had it not been for this path I never would have desired the CPA in the first place but at some point you just become a cog in the wheel and have ZERO control over your destiny.....anyhoo I've got things in the works and once I get licensed I'm out hoping b/w now and then I can get a fed job where I can have real time to study for the exams...lol....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast