Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's going on yall? How's work/studying/accounting?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Accounting & Finance: Cash Girl in an Accrual World

OH EM GEEE!!!

So, remember I told you guys about the new position that I started? Well, it has been the position from HELL!! I started on Jan 18, so I am still a newbie. Specifically, the tax supervisor that works out of our Kentucky office has been very difficult to work with. This supervisor is very rude and condescending whenever I asked her a question. It got to the point where I had to schedule a meeting with her immediate supervisor and you guys know how that turned out; she refused to accept responsibility for her actions and played the victim. So, now I am left looking like the angry, crazy woman. I've never disrespected this person and I've been courteous in all of our correspondence, but I am labeled the one with the attitude.

I accepted the position because I thought it would be a great way to gain experience in 990 & 990-T tax returns, which I have no experience in and I communicated that in the interview. The response was "Oh, that's fine...you have a lot of experience in corporate and partnership returns, so we will train you on the non-profit returns.." Well, that was a lie. Now that it's busy season, I have been thrown to the wolves to survive on my own. There is no training. I just left the office & it's 20 mins until 10pm, because I had to teach myself how to prepare a non-profit return, in addition to clearing the review comments. And to make matters worse, there was a person who quit yesterday after 7 months...home girl grabbed her purse and gave them the dueces, like not today Satan...not today!

Anyway, I called the recruiter that helped me get the job and briefly told her what was going on. I didn't sign up for this and I feel like I was mislead. So, I am basically back in public accounting again working 60+ hours per week, but minus the public accounting benefits. The recruiter told me to stick it out until 90 days (of course they want to get their coins) and they're looking to place me in another position. But, I started to aggressively apply to other positions on my own. I am not going to stay in an environment where I am disrespected and with no training. Plus, I am still studying for FAR, ughh!! So, it's been very stressful for me these past few months. I hope you guys are doing a better.

The only thing that's keeping me sane right now is knowing that this situation is like Tinder..swipe left, NEXT!! I am out, I'll find something else. Whew!
    Last edited by floetry22; 03-18-2016 at 03:43 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ floetry22, I hope you find something better very soon

I completed my AAS in accounting in December and after a few months of vegging out I'm ready to start studying for the CPA exam. I'm not sure which section I want to take first. Maybe AUD first? I figure that if I get the harder stuff out of the way I'll have a better chance of passing the other 3 sections before the end of 18 months.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aw Floetry I hope you found something better soon! Recruiters are in their own best interest from what I've learned from personal experience.

@meagan22: Woohoo! Good luck on the exam! Welcome to the wild ride of CPA exam prep!

I'm still working for myself, and I am happy. I continue to get calls daily from recruiters about 9-5 opportunities making pretty good salaries, but I've been bitten by the entrepreneurship bug. Specifically, the ability to be flexible with my schedule and location. I can work while away and take vacations as I please. There's something very valuable about that to me. Now, my focus is building a business that fits my desired lifestyle! More from me soon

5. Likes meagan22 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey ya'll!!!!!! Took me a minute to go back for real so I finished Advanced Acctg in December and now doing Governmental and I'll be done in May....submit my application and transcripts to sit for the CPA and wait for my NTS. Changed jobs again and I'm now making almost $23K more than I was this time last year so I'm guessing I was grossly underpaid but you live and you learn...lol...I'm doing audit...well actually scheduling the meetings b/w the auditors and the client, and making sure they don't overshare during those meetings, it's actually kind of interesting but my heart/love would be in somebody's corner in my spreadsheets balancing budgets, ah well it will come I guess...hoping the CPA will make me more attractive and I may parse myself out as an 8(a) Imma have to get wit you Mirah on how you became self employed!
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey ya'll, I'm officially DONE with my last class and while I wait for the VBOA to review my transcripts, etc. I'm psyching myself up for this loooonng journey! My client, co-workers, family and friends believe so much in me, it's great to have that love and support, I'm SO BLESSED! And then I have ya'll who have been through varying stages of this and it's great that this thread is still relatively kept up to date....on the work front though I did have to have my staff member moved to another project....all of the years of having great leaders and mentors who trained me at the Big 4, I see now whey they invest so much to ensure you can think on your feet, develop deliverables from scratch and build strong relationships, not to mention be successful in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment....I hated it while going through it but now that I'm a supervisor it makes me appreciate a well-trained professional vs. someone who has to be told what to do every step of the way, it's totally draining...

I've decided to go with Becker and supplement with Ninja MCQ. Happy CPA Hunting to me!
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi y'all! How's it going? Studying? Finishing school? Switching jobs? Also this came...

It won't let me post my CPA license! I gotta frame it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been following this thread for years and just wanted to say congratulations to you Mirah for getting your CPA license!!!! Savvyone you are up next!!!
    Fotki: https://public.fotki.com/LaGina/

Final chemical service: December 2002

Youtube MissGinaCPA

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

waving at Lagina! Girl, it's been a MINUTE!!! Mirah, I know you just want to sit and grin at that license all day! FAR is coming in November for me so I'm cranking away. I miss school so much so this is good, at least for now..lol...check with me in about a month!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Savvyone View Post
    waving at Lagina! Girl, it's been a MINUTE!!! Mirah, I know you just want to sit and grin at that license all day! FAR is coming in November for me so I'm cranking away. I miss school so much so this is good, at least for now..lol...check with me in about a month!
    Hey y'all!!! What's going on?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast