Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Accounting & Finance: Cash Girl in an Accrual World

Hey Y'all!

FAR passed, REG passed. Retake of BEC (lost credit) happened on 4/4. I get the score back on 5/5 (I think?). AUD (lost credit) retake on 5/16! I think I'll take ethics after all parts are done. I'm away to Aruba 5/18 for about 4 days. I'll do it when I come back!

How's everyone?

2. Likes meagan22 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Accounting & Finance: Cash Girl in an Accrual World

Love the title Mirah! I'm realizing the CPA is not going to get done unless I make a plan, stick to it and come off my schoolvacationcoma so May 18 I WILL start my governmental accounting class and then move on to advanced and THEN do a combo of Becker and NINJA to take FAR February 2016. Also, between now and then contacting everyone I know in government and trying to secure a fed position. Consulting has burnt me the heck out. I got an offer from KPMG and didn't even take it because I know it's more of the same, plus they weren't willing to meet my salary requirements, I'm like you can talk "bonus" all you want....60% of it gets eaten in taxes so give it to me in my base or we ain't talking...I dug my heels in and felt good about it. Back in the day I would jump at a little bump in pay but not anymore, they're going to have to sweeten the base substantially if they want me to make a move!
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Savvy,

Good for you for not settling! Yes, a plan is MOST of the battle lol. Becker and NINJA sounds like a good combo! February will be here before you know it! I'm actually trying to give some thought into what I'll do next. By June, I'll have that MBA/CPA combination, and there's so many directions I can take it. My current position doesn't require any of it, but there is opportunity for supervisor duties that will happen this year. That can be added to my resume for my next big jump (wherever that is).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ I was kind of offended, I'm like "Hello!!!" did you NOT read my resume, I'm an accounting/finance professional, what makes you think I would settle for some BS tap dancing when it comes to MY MONEY??
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess who is finished with classes???? ME!!!!! *Bobby Schmurda dance* I am taking a hiatus before studying for the CPA Exam. My brain is fried right now, lol.

7. Likes meagan22 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

congrats Floetry!! Yes, take a minute girl YOU DESERVE IT! But definitely let me know when you start prepping so we can compare notes.....Mirah has led the way for us!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Savvyone! It has been a long journey! We will definitely need Mirah's wisdom to help us conquer the exam

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a couple months, how is everyone??
    I was finally able to get that 20% bump I was looking for! A friend referred me and the rest is history! Though it's still Consulting - it's what I've been doing the past 15 years - I never realized how out of whack my salary was until the new firm didn't even blink at my asking price and sweetened the deal a few thou....KNOW YOUR WORTH FOLKS!

There were reasons why I stayed with the Big 4 as long as I did, we had a give/take relationship I raised my kids, got my degree, reimbursed a good chunk of my tuition, etc....it was worth it but I knew when it was time. Anyhoo now that I've got that settled I'm back on the CPA track and more energized than ever to make it happen and I'll probably do the CGFM too. The sabbatical I took last year made me fall deeper in love with learning!

Say Mirah and everyone, wouldn't it be awesome if we could start our very own Minority/Woman-owned CPA firm??? RGIII and DeSean Jackson live right around the corner from me....in fact all the Redskins do... and I really have a heart to help these young athletes so they don't blow through their millions and end up destitute in 20 years....just a thought but I'm VERY serious! I want to be the type of CPA that keeps folk out of harms way and not lead them to it....you know??

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yaaaas Savvy to your bump!!!

My CPA exam adventure is STILL happening! Took BEC on 4/4 and got a 73.

So...I pushed back Audit to 7/11; I just took that one. BEC retake on 8/16. FAR which has since expired in October. A good take away for everyone that will start on this journey is FOCUS and be realistic. I'm not giving up.

In other news, I'm in the market for yet another job, as usual right? Every 2 years with me.

Savvy, you are reading my mind with this business venture. Entrepreneurship is my ultimate goal!!! I know you're serious so if you want to chat about it let me know! I'm already in the business mindset and I'm itching to lean more about getting to it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mirah your hair is FIYA! LOVE IT! New firm and this is the first time I've been on the "bench" since... well I've never been on it...lol...anyhoo I have an interview with a Manager on a Treasury engagement who likes my background so we'll see.....kinda stoked because I've always wanted to work for/with them. Back when I was a young girl I said I wanted to be Treasurer of the US....yep I had them lofty dreams!

That's the way Mirah keep at it, I'm taking Advanced Acctg in the classroom at the community college - because I miss going to class SO MUCH. I suspect I'll start studying for FAR in the early spring....is 8 weeks really enough or is that cramming it? I know it's huge and covers a lot of surface area - moreso than the other sections, what do you think? And yeah, I'm serious so we can chat about the business venture, I'll ping you soon!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast