Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Freaking out about starter locs

Ok, I have a confession to make. I have been obsessing about the thickness of my parts. I have thick 4c hair and as much as I keep telling myself I won't be able to know the thickness of my locs until they are mature I still end up freaking out. I even counted my locks(73) and tried to find people with similar lock number. I know my hair won't look like someone else's (and I'm ok with that) but, I feel like I might end up with thick locs (sharpie makers) and not pencil or pen size. How did you NP get over the beginning stage? Did you have an expected size you wanted?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Freaking out about starter locs

Why freak out? locking is the most peaceful thing you can do for your natural hair journey. Just let go and let it be. it will all work out. An installation starter hair style is not the same as mature locks.

All locks condense, tighten, elongate and everything in between. The density of the hair and the maintenance technique chosen will determine the width of a lock.

I had Braidlocks the first time-installed as micro braids. However, I combined over the years (7) and I still had close to 300. I have Sisterlocks this time(all sizes) and my locks are still thickalicious (for me thick is pencil size). I do have naturally dense (thick) hair. Both sets of locks gave me an immediate peace upon install because I was mentally ready to submit to the process. You may not be ready for that. You may need to transition mentally and release the need to control the process.

I may be wrong. But if you are experiencing that much anxiety something is not naturally clicking. Locking is a whole 'nother journey that requires mental and physical adjustments and reconditioning.

I've seen lockers with huge parts and pencil sized locks. The only thing they could do to contribute to size control (if small locks desired) was maintain by a tight latch rotation. Other than that-the thickness(density/porosity etc)will be impacted by the biological traits of your hair.

Keep us posted on your journey and visit the lock board when you can.
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

3. Thanks gilroygal thanked for this post
    Likes gilroygal, natural-gal liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Knotty you have some very good points...Letting go is a process in itself and I came to place where I'm accepting whatever happens...It was the uncertainty and the lack of control that I had to surrender to...I literally had an epiphany yesterday...I had no control on how my baby girl would look like, her eye color, hair, or nothing...all I prayed for was her health and she turned out perfect...I realized that this is a similar experience I just have to trust and believe that my locks will be whatever they are meant to be... crazy how much I am learning about myself just by locin' up...

5. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have loved to have sharpie sized locs. Instead I have medium to small straw sized locs, and I'm happy with what I have. I do remember after starting my locs how anxious I was for them to loc and how thick I imagined they would get...and they did get thick about a year and a half or so in. Then they thinned out and have stayed that way ever since. I have over 100 locs, but less than 115 (I think) and I am satisfied and happy with what they've become, with few exceptions.

I understand a little anxiety, a lot of excitement and copious amounts of curiosity taking hold at the beginning of a loc journey. Been there. Done that. It was fun. I even understand obsession to a point. Just try not to over think things and enjoy the journey. Your locs will do what they're going to do.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

7. Thanks Teva thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it is such a huge journey. The mental transition is so different than the going natural transition. Going through both is difficult. Yet, locks makes you feel like a newbie all over again, learning, experimenting, hoping, waiting, expecting...yes, childbirth is a GREAT analogy, lol!
    STILL keeping it knotty 1 day at a time ... since '03
    locked since '06
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

9. Likes Teva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey NP, just an update...I split some of my locs and I am so much happier with how they are now... I'm no longer concerned about the thickness...I can honestly say I'm embracing the process... One thing I have learned if there is something bothering you don't wait till its too late to change it..its bothering you for a reason and you have to think about why its bothering you and a solution to minimize your concerns...

11. Likes NaturalSerenity, KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on your journey!!!! Let Go and Let God!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there! I feel like I can relate to the OP, because I just started my locs and in 9 days it will be a month. I have been looking at pictures of locs on the internet and wondering what my locs will look like. One thing I have been able to avoid as the temptation to try all of the different techniques and products, because going into it, I already know what many of my limitations are due to health concerns like sensitive scalp and the like. I have to reel myself in and remind myself that MY locs will look like MY locs. I was staring to concern myself with whether or not they would all be the same size and blah, blah, blah, but I am FORCING myself to be patient and enjoy the process, I know that I have a LOOOOOOONNNNNG way to go.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

14. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in this boat right now. I just started my 2nd set of locs yesterday. Due to a miscommunication I now have big boxes. I have 60 locs and for my low-density hair I don't think its gonna look right or be as full as I would like. I couldn't sleep last night due to my anxiety. I finally called her and I am getting them re-done this week.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilroygal View Post
    I have been looking at pictures of locs on the internet and wondering what my locs will look like.
    I was doing this too. Finally stopped about 6 months ago because it made me impatient. Wanting my hair to grow fast enough to get to a certain length and become a certain way. Since stopping I am a lot more relaxed and at ease. Today is my 10 month mark.

I feel (and see from comparison pics) that my hair hasn't grown though. My hair has been very slow in growing over the past few years so, this is gonna be interesting.
    On Nappturality since July 2003. Last creamy crack session: May 2003.
    No more of that since finding Nappturality.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast