Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Future of Napptural Hair?

Something to think about!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoilyHairedBeauty View Post

What do you think about products like HeatFreeHair ?(human hair extensions that match 4c, 4b, 4a, 3c hair types) Will those become more popular? Or does straight weave rule?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In general, I like it. Would loved to have had this option when I was wearing micros. It would totally eliminate the issue of the ends not holding together and having to be BURNED or glued in order for them to stay. But that's not what they're even offering here. So, that said, from the prospective of having authentic nappy nappy hair for wigs and sew ins, if one must go there, then I think it's a great idea. But goodness, the expense. Nope, I'd never go there but I know many people will.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    As much as we love this forum, we know forums of almost any community struggle now. People don't want to read. They want a YT commercial.
    I paid my yearly subscription to NP today after being gone for a while (not sure for how long). When I have a question about napptural hair, I go directly to YouTube these days. But I came back here because I've missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    I don't know about where y'all live, but in this town I'm in, I still see a lot of relaxed heads...and the number of young girls wearing weave and wig is just ridiculous.
    I'm in NYC, and I'd say the ratio of natural hair to weaved up and/or relaxer is about equal. Then again, there are a lot of women with natural hair who cover it up with wigs or weaves, so you can't really tell.

To answer the OP's question: I don't know where the natural hair community will be in 10-20 years. I'm coming up on my 9 year nappiversary this summer and almost 10 years since my last relaxer, and I'm getting to the point where I'm growing bored with my hair. I'm not interested in weaves, wigs, braids, locs or a TWA. I've even thought about using direct heat for variety. But as bored as I am with my hair, I don't think about it often. Also, like someone else mentioned, when I went natural, my friends and family thought I was trying to make a statement. Now almost 10 years later, I have relatives with TWAs and locs now.

I'd like to say that in 10-20 years, natural hair will be more common than it is now. There will be more representation in mainstream media, and like someone else said, you can go to any salon that caters to Black hair, and there will be someone there who can care for your hair.

As for me, I'm not sure where my hair will be in 10-20 years. In 10 years, I'll be in my early 40s, and in 20 years I'll be in my early 50s. I've joked that I'll be in locs or a TWA or close cut by then. Time will tell.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 years ago, I would have expected that there would be a lot more naturals around than there are now. So, I'm not sure where the movement is going. I'm a graduate student and I work as a teaching assistant. I can think of one black undergrad I taught who wore natural hair over the 7 years I've been at my school (it's a doctoral program and it's a long haul, but that's another thread)- and I'm in the LA area, a major city where you'd assume natural hair is more common. There's probably a higher percentage of young women who wear natural hair under their straight flowy weaves.

To be frank I think weaves have slowed the progress of the natural hair movement. They allow us to conform to a Eurocentric standard of beauty while (literally) hiding our own hair. I know it's protective and all that. But why is it straight hair or loose wave patterns 99% of the time? Whoopi Goldberg discussed this on an episode of the view a while back. With marley hair, yarn braids, etc. lack of options for extensions that mimic black natural hair isn't an excuse anymore.

I also say this because I feel like weaves really slowed my own napptural journey. I would have saved money and possibly even gained length by doing simple protective styles with my own hair.I liked the attention I got from my weave so much that there didn't seem to be a point in wearing my own hair out. The option of buying the length I wanted made me even more insecure about wearing shorter hair.

I also think of celebs like Tiffany Pollard (New York from VHI), Nicki Minaj, and Porsha of the Real Housewives who do apparently have long natural hair, but wear it in a straight weave 99% of the time. That is a way of distancing oneself from the natural look IMO. Natural yes, but napptural- sorry I don't think so.
    Thanks nappy friend for giving me a PANKing!

5. Likes KnottyAuthor, LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ thanks for sharing your perspective. I remember getting slapped with the "militant" tag because I posted that I think wigs and weaves make transitioning more difficult. Because it does allow one to say they're natural but keep a Eurocentric aesthetic and fit in with "the norm" and never really get used to what it's like to walk down the street and be seen in public with your natural hair whatever texture it may be. I've looked at this thread for a while without responding now.

On the one hand I do I guess overall I just don't think about this anymore. I don't even feel I'm part of a natural hair movement anymore I just wear my hair the way I wear it and go on with life. I'm seeing what I feel are conflicting messages on some of the natural hair things I follow on Instagram. A lot of talk about celebrating all textures but a lot of loose curl worship still. And still a fair amount of straightening and weaves and what have you.

I remember when NP.com went through its first "do you" phase. And it was such a departure from the original mission of the board so for a lot of us long time folks it was like ????? But looking at other natural hair boards, Instagram, blogs etc. it seems like the "do you" movement...I don't want to say won... but I think that's the majority mindset nowadays.
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

7. Likes KnottyAuthor, chachadiva liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Rebel View Post
    I don't even feel I'm part of a natural hair movement anymore I just wear my hair the way I wear it and go on with life.
    I feel that way too.

Once I big cut, I transitioned with 'falls' because of my insecurities. But, I fought to accept myself-and did over time. It took about a year, that was over 10 years ago. On the weekend, I would not wear any false hair; but, forced myself to experiment. Eventually, I felt normal in my new 'skin'.

I was glad to have the help-because mentally I was not there and in the early 2Ks there was not a lot of support in my neighborhood (Cleveland). It was a fight to grow natural and a fight to be natural. Fight, fight, fight...now, not so much. There are a lot of 'down low' naturals, but I don't seek their input in my preferences as I've grown and matured in this space. Back in the day I had to talk, talk, talk and seek affirmations about my hair, not now.

For our community, I do feel as though false hair is a destination now. There are so many naturals out their-but nappturals? Like #24 said, nope. And, because I prefer to preserve my energy now (and my money), opting to just keep it moving - look, smile and shrug.

As for me and my house....we keeps it knotty 24/7-and it's all good !
    Life is a journey, it's interesting to observe the pit stops, detours and destination of others. It's just more peaceful, to me, to accept myself the way I was created (eshrugs). If I wore hair all day, I would feel like an imposter and it would cause me to detach from my reality too much. I like being conscious too much. And, conscious to me, means being napptural/natural whatever you want to call it .

Great discussion points!
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 06-06-2015 at 04:39 PM.

9. Likes LBellatrix, Soul Rebel liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think things will get better and worse.
    More women and girls are wearing their hair in natural styles.
    Still, many women are wearing thigh-length blonde weaves that look
    positively ridiculous. The color issue is still going strong.
    I'm not betting the house that straight-vs-natural or dark-vs-light is going anywhere soon.

As for the word "Nappy," is see it as the other N word.
    Why can't we find other words to describe ourselves?
    la vida es un carnaval.

11. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My pen name is due to Thelonius Monk, not because I value straight hair
    la vida es un carnaval.

13. Likes Soul Rebel liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straightnochaser View Post
    My pen name is due to Thelonius Monk, not because I value straight hair
    I picked that up. I've always thought you had a cool username :-)
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Soul Rebel!
    la vida es un carnaval.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast