Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New and Confused

Hello,

I have been natural for two years but have only been taking my hair seriously for the last 4 months. I have no idea what my hair curl pattern is but was told by a friend that I was a mixture of 3b, 3c, and 4a. My hair is medium to thick and low porous. (I just figured out the low porosity thing last week.)

It seemed when I was not paying attention to being a mindful natural that my hair worked way better. It feels as if I woke up three weeks ago with someone else's hair. It is dry and unmanageable most days. I have googled low porosity hair and see a lot of contradictory ways to care for it. In fact, I have seen many contradictory ways of handling all hair types. I do agree with what works for one person does not work for another. At the end of the day though, I am a science girl and think there should be some universally consistent facts for broad hair types across the board out there some where. I am just a bit confused (and broke) with trying to figure out fact from wives tale.

Anyway, I hope to learn a bit more while here.

Thanks for letting me join.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New and Confused

Hey there! Welcome to NP.

For what it's worth, I'll be a serious natural 20 years this year and I STILL don't understand the whole porosity thing...

This approach works for me me most of the time: I listen to what my hair needs and try to provide it as much as possible. I'm open to trying new things but only up to a point because I've already spent many years experimenting and I have better things to do.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings!
    What has brought positive results for my hair (a mix of fine and medium strands, low porosity) is not comparing my head of hair to someone elses. Be patient in finding what works best for YOUR hair.

Re: low porosity.
    For me, applying a bit of heat when deep conditioning (with conditioner and an oil) has made the difference. You probably see that when you try and wet your hair, it doesn't seep in easily, am I right? Your hair needs help to open up the cuticle a bit, so that you can get that moisture in.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do heat my conditioner and then apply oils. Correction, I heat my conditioner and apply coconut or olive oil. Certain oils, I have learned to only use for sealing.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the maximum hydration method would work for you. It seems it's more a method pushed for 4c hair (I guess) but I've seen your hair type do it on youtube. It takes a lot of time and dedication but the results seem to be great. I have just started it and am on day 2. While I am not seeing the curls I want to yet my hair has never been this soft.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think some of my hair is damaged from a failed coloring attempt. The maximum hydration method tires me out just by reading what I need to do. I shall not be trying that. Haha.