Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Salon and (hair) breakdown

Has anyone ever been to a salon or stylist who will consult and tell you your hair type, porosity level, density, and thickness? Does anyone know of any salon in Chicago that will do that?

I look at all the vloggers and see inconsistency and can't really guess my hair type from some of them. Some people who look as if they have hair like mine consider themselves 4A but their hair looks like a vlogger who considers themselves a 3C, and vice versa. This only matters to me in the sense of learning what products might work for me, although every 3C or 4A (or what have you) head will be different.

Also, I am now hearing that the water porosity test may not be accurate, and it might be better to have a professional do an analysis, and so on.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Salon and (hair) breakdown

Hello. As far as the hair typing it really is just a guideline there's a picture on Google it shows the different curl pattern. I would suggest you call a few stylist in your area and ask if they will do the typing and other stuff... at the end of the day do what is best for your hair...

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hair typing is a hypothetical theory. It helps some, hurts many. You can use it as a guide, it is by no means an absolute. It is a subjective typing system that forces people in a box. It can guide you;however, no one has the same texture throughout their head, so that's where things get tricky. The DNA of the American slave system ensured that we have many genetic combinations manifesting throughout our tresses.

pororsity test-once again a guide, there are about 10 different ways to do that. Overall, note how products impact your hair. Do they sit onto of your head? Are they absorbed? And so on. Does your hair swell in humidity? Rough when back-combed? There's plenty of ways to self diagnose and go from there.

Bottom line. This is NOT taught in beauty schools. It's not on the state license test, so this education typically will not be found in this venue.

It's not a breakdown, it's a disconnect. The connection was never made and African hair care is just now becoming to be understood through cosmetology schools that require licensing but minimally (if at all) teach or understand the texture.

4. Likes deecoily liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Teva and KnottyAuthor, for the responses.

I totally understand what you mean by a guideline. I really do only look toward these things as a help for understanding my own hair in conjunction with how products work for me. I will admit, I was trying to circumvent constantly trying different products, because although I am a product junkie, my pockets are not deep. I just thought by looking at what people call a "hairtwin" and learning if we have similar hair would get me to the right products with less money spent.

With that said, I do believe that within the last week, I have found what works for me. I am pretty psyched about it. I still may not truly know my hair type, density, thickness, or porosity level but have not given up on it. (Well, I couldn't care less about hair type as long as I know my hair looks awesome without that knowledge. For the record, I think that I am 4A/3C, high density, medium strand, and low porosity.)

6. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is great to read! So many newbies can get caught up in the abundance of information and theory. Just weeding through it all can be overwhelming. You sound like you are ahead of the game! The avg stylist doesn't know what you now know (the exceptional natural stylist does and is a rare jewel to find).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like this, hair typing is not a few types fit all types. Do what you feel is best for your hair. If you try a product, or mix a product on your own and it is drying or breaking your hair off, STOP using it, and don't feel like you have to use it all up to save money. You will spend more money in the end trying to correct the breakage and damage from continued usage. I cannot say this enough, your hair she speaks, just be open and listen to what she is saying. She has the wisdom of thousand of years, in your Crown and Glory and she will advise you of what is Right for Your hair and What is Wrong for Your Hair. Peace and Blessings on your Healthy Hair Journey