Carolina, the northern (and not so dirty) south
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dealing with chronic anger, anxiety, and sadness- What's working for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo View Post
    I am competing in a jiu jitsu tournament in November, though . I have been going to this gym since August last year and doing jiu jitsu since January, but I have been away for 2 months. Just did my first class in 2 months last Saturday.

I am going to a meetup in October from Meetup.com. This is a big deal for me and I'm happy that I am finally really going out of my way to meet people and make some lasting friendships.
    Jiu Jitsu, huh? thats pretty kick a**. You should feel like superwoman! I'm proud when I can reach savasana at the end of my yoga practice!
    "Can't say what I mean, can't love from the heart
    Can't trust in the mercy and the goodness in the world
    Can't learn to accept that it's alright
    To struggle with the limits of this ordinary life." -Tracy Chapman

2. Thanks Ororo thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dealing with chronic anger, anxiety, and sadness- What's working for you?

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Ladies, like you, I've struggled with some of these issues. I would encourage everyone still struggling to get help.

There is no shame in seeing a therapist. There is no shame in taking medication.

I'd suggest looking into cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). It focuses on changing the thought processes that create the anxiety, fear, etc.

If money is an issue, look into low cost/free public clinics, the ACA, etc.

Please make a choice to at least take the first step.

Thanks Chacha. I'll have to look into free clinics. I have a doc's appointment tomorrow, so I will get blood work done. The cost is the issue, but I can at least spend money on blood work.

Lady in black, thanks for the compliment! What kind of sleep issues have you had? Do you have lots of trouble staying asleep?
    Last edited by Ororo; 09-15-2015 at 04:06 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ororo,

My sleep is directly related to the new Adrenal supplement I began taking (Adaptra) it is working SO well it wakes me at 2am every morning full of energy. I know an easy remedy for that- exercise that is exhausting. Zumba, running, etc. I have a hard time doing anything more strenuous than yoga though!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I went to the doctor yesterday. New doc and I was scared, but he is a fantastic doctor. Cares and no bullsh!t. We talked a lot and it felt cathartic. I felt so trashy and depressed before I went in and so much better after. He prescribed me generic celexa, so I hope this helps.

Some great advice: He said most hospitals will write-off a trip to ER because of feeling like dying/suicidal. If you have no insurance and no money, let them know and they will likely not charge you at all. This is in SoCal, so I do not know of other areas.

When I went in, I gave my doctor a list of symptoms on some paper. It is much easier for me than speaking. This was a great idea and I urge anyone feeling anxious and/or depressed to write it down or type it. Much easier than tripping over my tongue .
    Last edited by Ororo; 09-16-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ororo,

I'm glad you found a doctor that made you feel comfortable and hopeful. I hope the medication works well, please keep us posted!

7. Thanks Ororo thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's been a week of taking citalopram and I had some drowsiness the first day- no issues or side effects now. I hope it stays that way.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good. Is it helping your mood? Feelings?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I had this random burst of energy that I used to do a bunch of laundry lol, perhaps it was due to citalopram. this was on day 4. I don't know if that's why. I'll have to wait longer to see if there are any effects on mood.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a lil update: I'm struggling with this, but still persisting. My doc has upped my citalopram to 40mg (highest dosage) and I have been prescribed 25mg of trazodone (1/2 tablet) for insomnia. Shyt, I hope this works.

I have been lapsing with my meditation, but have restarted in the last 2 days. 20 minutes today felt good. It did a tiny bit to alleviate some of the depressive feeling, but the main benefit has been in being able to accept it more and fight it less, and have less of the storyline running in my head about "how much this sucks" and all that. Being aware of those thoughts makes everything better because that type of spiral of thinking is just suffering.

I do find myself not getting caught up all the time in thoughts and emotions. I attribute this to reading two of Pema Chodron's books:

Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears
    When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times

Because of her books, I remember more often to take a few deep breaths throughout the day, take a minute to pause, and be aware of what my mind is doing, instead of just being led around or tossed about by whatever is going on in there. I fail at it all the time, but that's OK- another one of Pema's points; there are a million relapses and little (or big) failures with this and that's fine and to be expected. I succeed at this often, too, so I know I am making progress.

I'm also still volunteering, so that helps as well, although, some days I find it so hard to go.
    Has anyone made any improvements with depression and anxiety?

Last edited by Ororo; 12-26-2015 at 06:24 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man the blues hit me hard this year, crying at the drop of a hat and not knowing why it's the darkness all the friggin time, I never get like this in the Spring and Summer, I even spent 5 days in Florida to get more than a healthy dose of sun but now that I'm back home it's set in again...sigh...
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast