Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Swimming!

With all these grand dreams of swimming and scuba diving I realize, I CAN'T SEE so it's either contacts with goggles, prescription goggles or lasik is anyone else virtually blind without glasses but love the water, what do/did you do??
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

2. Likes Napia Mia liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Swimming!

Gurl...I JUST got back into swimming for the first time in years and even though I'm nowhere near in the kind of shape I used to be, at least my body remembers how to keep me afloat and move me down (half) the lane...

Right now I'm just doing regular non-prescription goggles (the popular brand by Speedo; I forget what's it's called). They're tight enough such that I could probably wear my contacts with them but for now I'm fine without them. I went without goggles for years and as I told a friend I would just open my eyes every fourth stroke or so to make sure I wasn't running into the wall or someone else. I'm not so blind that I can't see that big line painted on the bottom of the pool...

That same friend said she uses prescription goggles made by this company and they run her about $50.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

4. Likes Napia Mia liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Lbella that's helpful I'll stick with the contacts and goggles for now. Lasik is $$ and I'm not quite ready to drop down all that loot but maybe next year....
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

6. Likes Napia Mia liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck on your swimming Lbell and Savvyone. I've seen such a transformation in my body in such a short time. Unlike other forms of cardio that usually just realky works out your legs, swimming swimming works out er thang!
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

8. Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Savvyone, I have been as blind as ANYTHING since I was a child. I don't dare venture out the house without glasses and driving without them would equal death for me and someone else .

As a child, I LIVED in pools. I could not swim for crap for a few years and then it just clicked after some time, and I turned into a fish. I did this while not being able to see well because it did not matter that I could not see. As long as I knew how deep the pool was and where the end was, it was cool lol. I did not have contacts or anything and I was alright. I don't swim nearly as much, and when I get in there I can still swim, though I'm not as good as I was. I still go in without contacts or anything. I have swimming goggles, but non-prescription to keep my eyes from going blood-red. I also have prescription sports goggles, but those are for jiu jitsu and yoga class. I have a strap for them, so I imagine I could swim with them and keep them on my head (theoretically).

http://www.zennioptical.com/741821-p...rim-frame.html

The above are what I have. I have one of those neoprene sports straps that keeps it in place.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all, first swimming lesson...CHECK....the contacts and non-prescription speedo goggles worked fine for me....and it was definitely an "er thang" kinda workout...WHEW and to think I was going to do a walk/jog beforehand, my legs woulda gave out for sure. I can see I'm going to love this journey, me and the water get along!

11. Likes LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I decided to try wearing my contacts with my goggles today as well. No problem!

I've also been spending time on YouTube (my favorite site, lol) watching technique videos. They're available for all levels, from brand-new beginners to seasoned athletes.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

13. Likes Napia Mia liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    I decided to try wearing my contacts with my goggles today as well. No problem!

I've also been spending time on YouTube (my favorite site, lol) watching technique videos. They're available for all levels, from brand-new beginners to seasoned athletes.
    Yep on Youtube videos. Ive been teaching myself the front crawl and the side stroke, which finally came together for me a couple of days ago. The life guard was watching and came over to me and asked when did I learn how to do the side stroke. Told him it stsrted feeling right two days ago. He said i looked like I had always been doing it. Thankyou youtube!

I also started watching videos on flip turns. I started practicing them yesterday. Can you say disaster? I kept flipping and then half way through i breathe out my mouth instead of my nose so water would get in my nostrils and burn. I know Ill eventually get it figured out but I gave up on it yesterday and stsrted working on my frint crawl breathing technique.
    June 24th

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I did get a bit of pain in my right calf that stopped me cold towards the end....guess I didn't think to stretch but I think it would be a good idea similar when I prep to do any type of exercise right??

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Savvy, I get "water" cramps all the time. One day, a lifeguard ran down the list of stuff to do, and I'm like "I do all that." Then he asked me if I drank enough water because maybe I was getting dehydrated. It's the only think I hadn't been doing on a consistent basis. Now I keep water pool side, and it does seem to be helping. As for stretching, I do a lot of it in the pool before I swim cause it helps loosen me up, however, it wasn't preventing my leg and foot cramps.
    June 24th

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast