Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default You too can have an afro!

The August issue of Allure magazine features an afro tutorial for "straight haired" women.

Any thoughts?

~Love the hair you have~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: You too can have an afro!

I made comments about that piece in Allure the other day via Twitter. I'm not impressed.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

3. Likes OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see it as deliberate trolling and I think they were counting on "black twitter" and/or "black Tumblr" outrage to generate clicks and publicity. I'm unimpressed and unsurprised by this bait. They'll publish something like this while having little to no ads or editorials featuring women with natural afro hair (or even straightened afro hair, which is what many black models have). Things like this make me glad that print magazines are a dying art form.
    Last edited by meagan22; 08-06-2015 at 05:59 PM.

5. Likes Mikalia42 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I wrote on FB about another attempt to start ish, we don't need to take all of the baits? Most of the time it is so obvious, it's ok to let it go.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

7. Likes MommieDearest liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Totally agree! They do that shyt on purpose.

Allure has since come out with a response to the backlash, but I haven't made the time, nor found enough dambs to give, to read it.

And to be honest, I don't really care if white women (or naturally straight-haired women) wear an afro- they just don't need to act like they INVENTED it.

#culturevulture
    #columbus
    #istillrememberthebodereklook
    ~Love the hair you have~

9. Likes Karibana liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MommieDearest View Post
    ^^ Totally agree! They do that shyt on purpose. Allure has since come out with a response to the backlash, but I haven't made the time, nor found enough dambs to give, to read it. And to be honest, I don't really care if white women (or naturally straight-haired women) wear an afro- they just don't need to act like they INVENTED it. #culturevulture #columbus #istillrememberthebodereklook
    I really hate White women in particular appropriating Black hairstyles and this isn't even a style, this is a texture. The texture that grows out of our heads that has been vilified for centuries. And now you want to reclaim it as a "cute hairstyle"? #NOPE.. You can have some kind of 'fro-type thing if that's what you want, but if you're not an AF you don't get to have an AFRO. I've shot for Allure many times, but I had to let them know about that one. #notafan

It caused a minor thing on Twitter and they gave a weak non-apology type apology. I love Allure since the day it started publishing, literally. But I was unimpressed with this one.

(And anyway since the actual physical structure of their hair strands is different, it never actually looks like a 'Fro, it looks like some kind of a curly thing...)
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MommieDearest View Post
    ^^ Totally agree! They do that shyt on purpose.

Allure has since come out with a response to the backlash, but I haven't made the time, nor found enough dambs to give, to read it.

And to be honest, I don't really care if white women (or naturally straight-haired women) wear an afro- they just don't need to act like they INVENTED it.

#culturevulture
    #columbus
    #istillrememberthebodereklook
    Those hashtags reminded me of a comment I read somewhere (Buzzfeed?) after a post about this article. Someone wrote (paraphrasing) "No one got upset about Bo Derek..." which of course made me . Media-savvy Black people have always known when they're being played. I'm too young to remember what was said during the controversy surrounding Bo's braids--but I'm pretty sure that there was one.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    Those hashtags reminded me of a comment I read somewhere (Buzzfeed?) after a post about this article. Someone wrote (paraphrasing) "No one got upset about Bo Derek..." which of course made me . Media-savvy Black people have always known when they're being played. I'm too young to remember what was said during the controversy surrounding Bo's braids--but I'm pretty sure that there was one.
    I remember when the Bo Derek thing went down and yes, black folks were plenty upset. The difference between then and now is...wait for it...the Internet and social media.

These days we're much better able to let white folks know when we're upset. Also, these days, white folks (seem to) make (more of) an effort to (pretend to) care...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

13. Likes MommieDearest, meagan22, Claire76 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just agree with the fella who said that most blackwomen relax and wear weaves, so why get upset?
    Never Underestimate ANYONE