Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best way to start/DIY small locs?

When your hair is locking, it basically does what it wants to do. You cannot control whether or not your hair stays curly. I've never seen locks that were curly all over when mature though. The ends might stay curly, but some people cut the curls off or crochet them into the end of the lock. Sometimes if your ends are curly and you cut them off the curls form again, but hey, I like curly ends. As for which maintenance technique you choose, it is really a personal preference.

2. Thanks jrgoddess thanked for this post
    Likes Claire76, KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not only can you not control whether your hair stays curly, you can't control (much of) the frizz. IMO locking successfully requires a little (or a lot of) letting go. This doesn't mean you're "letting go" as in you don't care how you look, but basically you have to accept that locking is a process that takes time and you have to let your hair do what it wants to do (cosigning Lockolatte again). You're probably looking at other online journeys so you know that many people start out looking/feeling a little weird about their hair.

I started my locs with very small two-strand twists that I wet everyday for a little over a year and maintained via latching. They became recognizable as locs at about 9 months and I always had a few curly ends.

Also, for what it's worth: During the 3-plus years I had my locs, I got a LOT done.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

4. Thanks jrgoddess thanked for this post
    Likes Lockolatte, Claire76, KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the frizz!! Your hair is setting the stage for your future locks!

It's worth interlocking the roots if you like, just to 'get it going(only if that's how you will be maintaining your locks)....other than that, yes, trust the process. The magic is happening, but it won't happen while you're looking .

BTW Lockolatte and I love our curly q's they add character and texture...nothing to be scared of. It all depends on your hair texture and how the lock forms-you have no control over that process. Some ends seal,some don't. Looks towards other goals/activities to keep you busy and b/f you know it you will be locked. The best part of locking to me is the lack of hair drama and the gift of time as LBeltx said! Enjoy!
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 09-13-2015 at 04:53 PM.

6. Thanks jrgoddess thanked for this post
    Likes Claire76, Lockolatte liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lockolatte, thank you for that tip about possibly crocheting them into the ends to the future. Now that you all have given me this awesome advice I'm not so anxious about everything!
    LBellatrix, I'm going to take your advice about wetting my hair everyday. In fact, I've been doing it all week and I really think it's helping mat my hair. Especially at the roots. That did prompt me to finally figure out how to latch them, and that's been great. It helps a lot. It's just taking forever with almost 350 starter locs. Someday, I will know the fabled luxury of productivity, as you were able to learn. I can't wait!!!
    KnottyAuthor, I am so looking forward to that lack of hair drama! I'm already enjoying just getting up in the morning and not having to 'do' my hair. It's fabulous! I just have the one hurdle to get over of latching these roots, and then I think I'll be good.

You guys have provided so much guidance and encouragement to me. I am so thankful for you. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. For the first time in a long time I'm actually enjoying my hair again. I think it's only going to get better.

8. Thanks Lockolatte thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor, LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are beautiful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12