Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Random Thoughts Of a Cultural And Political Nature

Part of me -- okay, MOST of me -- is thankful that 99% of my FB friends' posts are rational, reasonable, and in alignment with my general beliefs and values. I think the one area where I depart from a significant number of my friends is religion: Although I'm not religious, I have a fair number of devout Christian friends and family, a slightly smaller number of devout Muslim friends, and a sprinkling of devout Jewish friends and friends from other religions. I respect everybody's beliefs and have no problem "liking" the ones that I like. I would never consider getting into arguments with them about their beliefs. In fact I try never to get into online arguments about anything that I wouldn't feel comfortable saying to someone's face.

A small part of me, though, wonders if I'm existing in an echo chamber and if that's a good thing. I'm thinking of one FB friend I have who's the daughter of Syrian Christian immigrants and the only one of her siblings who was born in America -- Texas, to be specific. She gets into these huge discussions/arguments with people who represent every possible negative image of right-wing fanaticism you can think of...and yet somehow she manages to keep her Christianity intact, so to speak. More than once I've said to her, "I don't know how you can stand it," and usually she agrees with me but she keeps on doing it.

Throughout most of my life I've actively courted discussion with people who had opposing views because I believed (and still believe) that that's how you learn: about people, about the world around you, etc. It's only been in the last few years that I've had to step back...and I think it's because it really does seem to be getting harder to have rational, coherent discussions. The concept of "agreeing to disagree" seems to have fallen by the wayside. People don't seem to be interested in understanding others' viewpoints...they just want to be RIGHT. In response I've shut down to some extent...largely for mental self-preservation.

Out of curiosity: Are you able to have rational, coherent discussion with your friends on social media around polarizing subjects (race, religion, politics, sex)? Do you even attempt to have these discussions?
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

2. Likes Miss T liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes. But not on social media. My best discussions are usually among men and in a gym setting. It's usually in the open, people pass by and join in. When I find folks too emotional over the topic, I move on. I'm only interested in hearing different perspectives, understanding viewpoints even if I don't agree, resolutions, ideas and maybe change my perspective if it's logical. So I have my conversation clique that we talk about everything, with the exception of sex... unless it's a general perspective or advice. Folks that just want to be right or prefer to hear their own voice, I really don't have the patience.

4. Likes Miss T, LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK this is the most heinous act of blatant disrespect against the president since he's been in office.

This clown needs to be denounced, rebuked, fired, OMG!!!!!!

What the ENTIRE heck???!!!!!!
    ~Love the hair you have~

6. Likes Miss T liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That was absolutely disgusting. He has been suspended for 2 weeks, along with Stacy Dash.

Not long enough if you ask me
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad that some justice was actually served in the Holtzclaw trial. From following the case it became apparent to me. That he preyed on women he thought wouldn't be believed if they were brave enough to fight back legally. And sure enough, his attorneys mentioned things that they thought would discredit those who testified. I'm so glad there were enough people on that jury to see this beast for what he is.

I don't do much social media but the people whose blogs I read are the ones who alerted me to the Holtzclaw situation to begin with. Though no less deserving of publicity that other abuses committed by police officers this trial received very little mainstream media attention. The victims weren't readily exploitable for sympathy (like missing white girls) or sensationalism (protests weren't big enough to be mislabeled as "riots") so news outlets didn't really bother.
    Last edited by meagan22; 12-11-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^

To be honest I'm surprised he was convicted, but I'm extremely pleased. It's sad that it took him attacking a 57 year old grandmother with no criminal record before he got caught. Thank God she went to the police and reported him. Regarding the lack of mainstream media coverage, the following makes me sad and proud at the same time:

Benjamin Crump, an attorney representing five of the victims, admonished the national media for its lack of coverage around the Holtzclaw trial.

“What is it about these women? What is it about them? Why are they unworthy of national media attention?” he asked. “Where is the disdain? Where is the contempt? Where
    is the national outcry for their equal justice?”

Echoing the thoughts of many others, Crump said the coverage would have been different if Holtzclaw’s victims were white.
    “We’re here to declare Black women’s lives matter too,” Crump added.

Good for him for speaking on it.
    ~Love the hair you have~

10. Likes meagan22, Serbbral liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Melissa Harris-Perry: I love you girl, I recognize you as one of the premiere intellectuals out there regarding minority and gender issues. But to say that Star Wars is racist because Darth Vader in costume is an avatar for deadbeat black fathers and then he turns white when he takes off his mask and recognizes his sone is beyond reaching. Not to say that Star Wars is above reproach (looking at you Jar Jar) but on this issue, we part ways.

To all the black nerds calling her dumb and other names for her read of the movie: pop culture doesn't happen in a vaccuum and y'all know it. So get off your nerdy feelings and actually come up with proper counter arguments to what she's saying. Calling her dumb and an idiot tells me y'all know nothing about her and are just as dumb as the white male nerds who get upset when the lack of diversity in nerdom get called out.

ETA: ha, should have watched the video first. Clearly she was joking. But the black nerds still have me SMDH.
    Last edited by Karibana; 12-16-2015 at 05:20 AM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a hashtag trending on Twitter #whitesagainsttrump. It picked up steam during the GOP debates last night. I found this meme on there:

~Love the hair you have~

13. Likes LBellatrix, Serbbral, Soul Rebel liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just popping in here (mainly because I didn't know where else to post this) to give my respects to Dr. Frances Cress-Welsing who died on Jan 2nd. Her book of essays, "The Isis Papers" opened my eyes to a different view of the origin of white supremacy in Amerikkka and in the world. A master teacher that will be missed.
    ~Love the hair you have~

15. Likes Soul Rebel liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best thing from President Obama's final State of the Union address last night:

~Love the hair you have~

17. Likes meagan22, Soul Rebel liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast