Likes Likes:  1
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just Joined: Would Love Opinions On This Young Ladies Hair.

Hi Everyone, :O)
    I just joined and I would love y'alls opinion on this picture of this young ladies hair. I couldn't post a new thread in any other forum, I believe, so I had to do it here... I hope that's OK.

Anyway, this young lady I know is in the picture. I recently asked her what color red she used to dye her hair with, and strangely she said that it was her natural color: She said that the sun turns her hair red every summer.
    I'm really not buying that: Her hair is pretty uniformly red. The sun doesn't bleach like that and she works as a cosmetologist so I doubt she's had time to sit in the sun for as long/as many days/months as it would take to make such a drastic color change.
    And from dark brown/kind of black color to that almost root to tip red color?
    I'm sadly not buying her story, and it's my opinion that her her is dyed.

Also, she claims they are locks... but look closely and they look more like braids or some kind of twists? To me they look like braids.
    She also claims that it's all her real hair. I'm also not buying that. They look like braid extensions to me. But I'm not a hair dresser so I'm not positive.

Can I please get some opinions? Is her hair dyed? Is it locks or braids? And is it her real hair or extensions?
    Thanks a lot for any opinions.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Just Joined: Would Love Opinions On This Young Ladies Hair.

Hello! Welcome to Nappturality. I am not sure about the answers to your questions about this beautiful girl's hair. Are you looking to style or color your own hair similar to hers?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no way of knowing for sure but:

1. Hair can change color from the sun
    2. She could be in the early stages of braidlocks where she started her locks with braids.
    3. If she grew out her natural hair to this length, then yes, it could all be her hair. Hair can be braided without extensions added.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, don't worry about what's going on with someone else's hair. That said:

1. We have a member who has red hair and no she can't pass for white. It is rare, usually the afro redheads I've seen have been more brown sugar then Little Orphan Annie. Still, it is possible but...

2 and 3. It looks more like kinky hair extensions to me. I can see the dark brown and reddish parts.

Beyond that, it's her head. If that is her truth, there's nothing you can do other then smile and nod.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lockolatte View Post
    Hello! Welcome to Nappturality. I am not sure about the answers to your questions about this beautiful girl's hair. Are you looking to style or color your own hair similar to hers?
    Hi! :O) Thanks for the reply. No, I wasn't looking to style like hers. It's just that honestly to me her hair looks like dyed red braid extensions. She insisted they were locks, but certainly they don't look like locks. When I asked her about her hair color, because she claimed she was all natural, she then told me that her hair turns red in the summer sun.
    I know that the sun bleaches hair, but I also know that you have to be out in the scorching sun forever to get an effect, much like surfers who spend all of their time in the sun and end up with that sun bleached whitish blonde hair.
    She works as a cosmetologist, so she said, so I don't see where she'd had months to spend out there to get such a uniform reddish color basically from root to tip.
    This was an older pic, so anyway now she has all natural hair. I was just very curious if she telling the truth or not. Call me skeptical. :O)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    There's no way of knowing for sure but:

1. Hair can change color from the sun
    2. She could be in the early stages of braidlocks where she started her locks with braids.
    3. If she grew out her natural hair to this length, then yes, it could all be her hair. Hair can be braided without extensions added.
    Hi, thank you too for the reply:
    Yes, hair can change from the sun, but I really haven't seen any folks with dark brown hair get such a red color from the sun. I replied to Lockolatte (great name, btw) and explained that it would take a tremendous amount of time in the sun to get your braids/or braidlocks (although she specifically said they were locks) to turn such a uniform red shade.

Yes, certainly hair can be braided w/out extensions... it's just that to me these braids do look like extensions and I was honestly trying to find out if she's pulling the wool over my eyes.
    Thank you again 4 your reply Chachadiva! :O)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    First of all, don't worry about what's going on with someone else's hair. That said:

1. We have a member who has red hair and no she can't pass for white. It is rare, usually the afro redheads I've seen have been more brown sugar then Little Orphan Annie. Still, it is possible but...

2 and 3. It looks more like kinky hair extensions to me. I can see the dark brown and reddish parts.

Beyond that, it's her head. If that is her truth, there's nothing you can do other then smile and nod.
    Hi Karibana,
    I do understand that there could be folks with red hair (Michael Strahans daughters, although I assume he's got a non POC wife- don't know anything about him though).
    But she never claimed that her hair grows from her head red, she stated that the summer sun turns it red, and like I said above I don't think the sun would make such a lovely uniform red color. Or if it could it would take a long time. Honestly, to me they look dyed red. Also, like I said above, she's all natural now... but I didn't mention above that her hair is her natural dark color now... with zero red. I wonder why this particular summer her hair didn't turn red? Sure, she could have dyed it darker, it doesn't look it, but then that wouldn't technically be all natural.

So it does look like kinky braid extensions to you? You can see the roots and maybe then some are brown, then the red looks braided in?

Yes, I see what you're saying about smiling and nodding, but you know what? I just despise being lied to so I wanted to get to the bottom of this. Not a big huge life changing deal at all, but just playing detective. :O)
    Thanks a lot for you reply too Karibana.

8. Likes uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me they look look like extension braids...No way that could be her hair. I´ve had these type of extensions before I locked my hair...It´s normally people with natural hair who like using them, or people who like a natural look.
    I understand what you said about not liking it when someone is playing you for a fool.
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Loc´d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uzuri View Post
    To me they look look like extension braids...No way that could be her hair. I´ve had these type of extensions before I locked my hair...It´s normally people with natural hair who like using them, or people who like a natural look.
    I understand what you said about not liking it when someone is playing you for a fool.
    Yes, and thanks so much for the reply and understanding. I knew I wasn't living in the Twilight Zone... I'm no hair expert but I thought I knew hair well enough to see her hair was extensions... and had not been bleached red from the sun as she claimed. People are weird w/ lying. Thanks again uzuri.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I would def be a lil suspect too.
    Doesnt look natural at all