Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Autumnal Random Napptural Thoughts

The salon visit went better than I thought! I was all confident telling her to take as much off of the unhealthy ends off as possible and I'm so glad she didn't listen to me! It's shorter than I'm used to and I'm so grateful for having been able to deal with someone who knew what they were doing!

She was also amazing in that she provided a private (hijab-friendly) environment!
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair is almost to the length that I want it to be, and now I feel like cutting it all off...

I'm not a psychopath, Anderson. I'm a high functioning sociopath. Do your research.- Sherlock

5. Likes LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thePerfectFool View Post
    My hair is almost to the length that I want it to be, and now I feel like cutting it all off...
    When I BC'd back in September (two posts ago) I had this idea I was going to keep my hair short. My last trim/cut was in October. My hairline was messed up...AGAIN...so now I'm getting my Nazirite on ("no razor shall touch the locks of thine head" or something like that).

I'm kinda-sorta considering getting braid extensions (first time in 18 years) in the summer but at the same time I'm tempted to just keep doing what I've always done in the past, which is...

Quote Originally Posted by earthmother View Post
    I think when the weather gets colder I'm going to start washing twice a week. Shampoo and then co-wash midweek. I need to keep my hair hydrated when it gets cold!
    This is exactly what I've been doing for the last couple of months. DC'ing about once a month (every 8th wash or so). After washing I apply my leave-in and some CR Almond Jai Twisting Butter that I've thinned out with AVJ to give it a more spreadable consistency. Then I let it air-dry and yes, I do go out in the cold with a wet/damp head and I feel just fine.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today is a snowy and cold day. I was afraid of humidity and frizziness, but my hair miraculously resisted! Yesterday (my deep conditioner day) I tried a different (from the usual) combination of products:
    In the morning I washed with Motions moisture lavish sls free poo, then I put a mixture of Ors replenishing pak + Aphogee 2 min. reconstructor + Organix argan oil conditioner. I wrapped my hair with plastic film and a self heating cap.
    Hours later, I rinsed my hair and styled with: Herbal Essences long term relationship leave in (as a moisturizer), Cantu Shea leave in (as a sealer) and Beautiful Textures oil silkener (for stretching), and a bit of Fantasia aloe gel. I did Bantu knots as protective style. Today, when I took off the knots, the curls was beautiful and defined, despite the humidity! 😆

8. Likes LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent the month of March trying out roller sets (rods, pin clips) on blow-dried hair. Of course, because my hair looked slightly less nappy than usual, I got compliments on it at work.

I hadn't done protein treatments in a while, so I started doing those again, and using heat protectant when blow-drying. For the first time in YEARS I used a comb attachment on the blow-dryer.

Unfortunately I'm noticing a little more breakage than usual, and my hair feels pretty parched...but then again I'm used to wetting my hair every day or every other day so going a week without water is going to make my hair feel that way.

Think I'm going back to my trusty WNG...but since I want less shrinkage, I'm going to try to take Anthony Dickey's advice and do it in the evening, banding the top overnight.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta love random hair styles. Originally meant to take my twists out and put my hair in a puff, but discovered I had some crazy mad twist definition that was worth of a twist out. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twistout.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	11162
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

11. Likes underthehood, LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random Shower Thoughts:

Did any of the actresses that played the Dora Milaje use the opportunity to Big Chop? Or were they all rocking baldies before (aside from Danai)?
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ╚═══╝

13. Likes LBellatrix liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
    Did any of the actresses that played the Dora Milaje use the opportunity to Big Chop? Or were they all rocking baldies before (aside from Danai)?
    I want to know how many of them were really bald and how many were wearing CGI-enhanced skin caps.

--

If you don't read the NY Times on a regular basis, or if you have a subscription, you should be able to see this article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/f...-alopecia.html

I'm glad women like this stylist exist. I just hope that the people she helps learn their lesson. It's a very expensive teaching moment!

15. Likes underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the article: “These styles — braids, weaves — are so a part of our culture that people think their hair loss is hereditary.”

That people are resigned to it like that (thinking it's hereditary) is scary!

~

I found our answer!!! (although by the sounds of it they were mostly already natural so I don't think it technically counts as a BC)

“I’m normally bald, but the other women had to shave their heads for this. And it ranged from loc’d hair to big natural curls and to be able to support them during this big chop was amazing,” she said. “I would wear wigs for auditioning and it wasn’t until i got completely comfortable with my baldness that i felt like myself. So for me, it’s extremely empowering to be represented as myself and be in a film and to have my look…to not cover it up.” said Marija Abney, while speaking with StyleCaster.com.

Source: http://www.blackfilm.com/read/2018/0...black-panther/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BP-Dora-Milaje-287x300.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	11163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black-Panther-Dora-Milaje-Bald-Is-Beautiful-300x223.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	11164  
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ╚═══╝

17. Likes LBellatrix liked this post
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast