Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Autumnal Random Napptural Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
    I found our answer!!! (although by the sounds of it they were mostly already natural so I don't think it technically counts as a BC)

“I’m normally bald, but the other women had to shave their heads for this. And it ranged from loc’d hair to big natural curls and to be able to support them during this big chop was amazing,” she said. “I would wear wigs for auditioning and it wasn’t until i got completely comfortable with my baldness that i felt like myself. So for me, it’s extremely empowering to be represented as myself and be in a film and to have my look…to not cover it up.” said Marija Abney, while speaking with StyleCaster.com.
    Awesome!

Of course now I wonder at what point in the audition were people told they'd have to shave their heads and how many balked. That said, if you're going to shave your head, it's great to do it with a group...

Also, re thinking hair loss was hereditary: So much of our thought pattern about Afro-textured hair comes from a belief that it's inherently "bad." I forget how many years natural I was before I found myself arranging my hair in the ladies' bathroom at work and realizing with a shock that I couldn't remember the last time I had to brush hair off my clothes. My relaxed hair (for which I was paying a LOT of money at the time) was so weak and overprocessed that simply combing it caused breakage. And I thought that was NORMAL!
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just love reading these threads and looking back at US
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

3. Likes LBellatrix, Napia Mia, underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beauty standards: Egypt's curly hair comeback
    I don't know why but I was genuinely surprised for a second, then I thought of my Egyptian friends and I don't know why I didn't see it before. Straighteners everywhere! There is no doubt in my mind that Black women embracing their curls globally has influenced this change in Egyptian culture.
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

5. Thanks LBellatrix thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link. Good to know that european beauty standards a losening it's hold on women across the globe.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that Black women embracing their curls globally has influenced this change in Egyptian culture.
    Not just there, but elsewhere too. I saw an article not too long ago about curly girls in India.

I know several Egyptian students and scholars from when I worked in academia. Two of them were from southern Egypt, where they tend to be darker-skinned (Nubia). The woman seemed extremely insecure about her looks IMO. Her hair was obviously relaxed and she often mentioned her white husband.

One of the students is now active in Egypt's LGBT community. Her GF is not only obviously black, she wears a BIG 'fro.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair is officially in that in-between-length stage and I HATE IT...

Summertime is prime WNG season and yet I'm avoiding them because my sides and back are a looser, less coily texture than my top. Normally I'd stretch the top to compensate but it's not long enough yet to make a real difference. The alternative is to flat-twist the sides and back but I'm terrible at flat-twisting. The one other option I have is to pin the sides, but I need to twist them to get the pins to stay, if that makes sense. I'm not a fan of the frohawk on me either, especially when the top is one texture and the back is another texture.

(gotta be honest...it feels good to "wahhhh!" about something so insignificant in the great scheme of things...)

So...my summer style is a 'fro, which is "age-appropriate" enough as it is without my trying to pick-and-pat for perfect roundness and evenness. To counteract shrinkage I'm back to using good old-fashioned mineral oil in the form of Blue Magic Coconut Oil grease. I shampoo and condition as normal, apply leave-in, put my hair in large twists, let them get mostly dry, then plait with grease. Next morning, I take each plait out and gently fingercomb it loose. When done, I pat into shape. It'll do for now. *shrug*

One good thing is that my gray patch in the front is turning into a really cool streak.

9. Likes Napia Mia liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lovely fits your face nice.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFW you finish off three jars of product (co-wash, DC, and styler) in a single wash session.

Still a product junkie after all these years...

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:  Pin curled plaits collage.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  19.7 KB
    Rediscovering my hair. For years I've been content to wear my hair in a puff because it was the most simple and quickest way to style my hair. In the process, I totally destroyed my length literally popping of nearly half of my bra strap length hair. After years of babying it, I am surprisingly ok with that.

However, I've been unemployed for the past two months and during this time, I've been becoming reacquainted with it, somewhat. I still really don't want to be bothered with it but is still rather "long" stretching a couple of inches past my shoulders. Right now, I have it in large random plait. To keep them out of my way, I've pin curled each plait. It is too adorable and easy to maintain. And when I take them down, they make for an equally adorable braid out. Just thought I'd share.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings and Salutations

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity

14. Likes Napia Mia, KnottyAuthor liked this post
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast