Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Autumnal Random Napptural Thoughts

Re SM: I'm too tired to get worked up over what's basically Econ 101 American-style...

---

My grocery store (!) had Aunt Jackie's Don't Shrink Flaxseed Elongating Curling Gel for a little over $5, so I bought it. (It was listed as a new item and there were only 2 jars left.)

I've mostly been 'fro-ing it these past few weeks, not really paying attention to definition. Today I shampooed twice with African black soap shampoo (I forget the brand; it's at Whole Foods; I also use it as a body wash) and conditioned briefly with HE HH. After watching a YouTube video (won't link it here...look up "aunt jackie 4b"), I applied KCKT in sections followed by this gel. I let it airdry for about an hour, then put Sprangz in the top of my head and sat under my bonnet dryer for 20 minutes.

This came out surprisingly well: really nice definition and sheen. It also dried fairly quickly considering I was working with sopping wet hair.

I should have known, though, that at $5 for 8 ounces, any "flaxseed" in this gel would be near the bottom of the ingredients list. (In fact I'm not sure if it's in here at all...my reading glasses aren't strong enough for me to tell, lol.) Also, any "elongating" happened with the Sprangz, not with the gel itself. That's probably for the 3c sisters, not us 4b sisters...

Anyway, I'm liking this so much that I'm actually reconsidering growing my hair out...
    Last edited by LBellatrix; 05-07-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cut it, y'all...it's another undercut and the top is smaller and shorter than I originally wanted. I washed it today (trading Aunt Jackie's for Uncle Funky's, lol) and I'm trying to decide whether I should go back and get the rest of it cut off, which would take me back to an all-over TWA. I just got it cut yesterday so I'm thinking I'll live with it for a while to see if it grows (heh) on me.

The general shape is like the woman's in this video, but the sides and back are lower (not quite shaved; literally just enough hair to coil up on itself):

Last edited by LBellatrix; 05-13-2017 at 06:02 PM.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went and changed product lines. Decided to try The Mane Choice after a rave review by one of the staff in Ricky's who was wearing a really fantastic twist out with those products. I bought the shampoo, conditioner, the styling butter and the gel. I have to admit, I'm kind of impressed. It's only been a week, but I can see and feel a difference. The smell isn't overpowering by any means (it actually fades away as it dries) and doesn't leave much buildup. The gel is KCCC level intense, but it does look good. The butter goes best over a leave-in; it's very rich going on but again, minimal buildup once it dries. As far as promoting growth is concerned, it's only been a week so I can't speak on it. But my hair does look and feel significantly better than prior to using it after just ONE WEEK. Prior to this I was using Shea Moisture's Manuka Honey line. I can't even say it was "okay" because it didn't make my hair feel any differently or better than other lines I've used in life. They probably changed the formula for a certain demographic. I'll buy the other Mane Choice products (the deep conditioner and the leave-in). They also carry biotin pills, but I already take a hair/skin/nails vitamin (by Futurebiotics). Liking this line so far, overall.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikalia42 View Post

You look amaaazingggg Mikalia, I love it!
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
    You look amaaazingggg Mikalia, I love it!
    Thank you!

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now two bald spots have developed on either side of my head. Likely from medicine + stress, etc. Healing is hard

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought synthetic hair for the first time in a long time. I love yarn, but it's too damned hot to basically wear fabric for a month and a half. The hair is also shorter than what I like (down to the butt for styling purposes), but I can always get longer hair later. NOT proud that I dropped money in what seems to be an Asian owned beauty supply store. (Haven't been in one in YEARS.) No one was treated any kind of way, black people worked there, I wasn't followed around the store (no one was). Doesn't mean I'll exactly be back in there. I have to say though, they DID have a great selection of natural hair products. They even had The Mane Choice, Kinky Curly, CURLS, ORS for Naturals, Cantu for Naturals, Pantene Gold Line, and a few other notable lines. I didn't check the prices to see what their markup was, but if they're around/about the same as Ricky's..................I dunno. I'll let you know in a month and a half when these twists need to come out/be redone.

Sidenote: Hair's looking pretty good. Two months since using The Mane Choice products and I have to say, my hair DOES look and feel A LOT better. I HAVE noticed some growth, but it's not dramatic growth. Maybe an additional inch and a half on top of what I DID have when I big chopped years ago. The oil, butter, and gel are my favorite products. The conditioner and shampoo don't really do it for me, so I'll be changing those to something else. (Probably TIGI Oatmeal & Honey...loved those products when I used them.) The gel doesn't really play well with other products (kind of like KCCC); I'll be more inclined to use it when my hair gets longer (it gives my short hair the jheri look unless I blow dry it to dry and fluff it with a wide tooth comb). But it's hot, I'm getting lazy, and performance season is less than a month away, so these twists have to start going in on a regular (read: 4 to 6 weeks, two week break in between) basis.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always watch / read reviews before buying new products, hair related, or not. This lady speaks the truth!

I know, b/c I had Cuban Twist in my hair for 4 days. While the ombré colors are pretty and it forms dense twists....that's about it! The "hair" is rough as heck!!!! And super dry. (And I installed my with leave-in conditioner; doesn't help).

You could ball up a few pieces and scrub pots and pans! The hair made my fingers raw trying to twist with it.

I was was going to leave it in for a month, since the hair wasn't cheap.... But I realized it could damage my natural hair.

Glad I took it out. I did better using Red Heart Soft yarn to get the marley twist look. A world of difference.
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoilyHairedBeauty View Post

I always watch / read reviews before buying new products, hair related, or not. This lady speaks the truth!

I know, b/c I had Cuban Twist in my hair for 4 days. While the ombré colors are pretty and it forms dense twists....that's about it! The "hair" is rough as heck!!!! And super dry. (And I installed my with leave-in conditioner; doesn't help).

You could ball up a few pieces and scrub pots and pans! The hair made my fingers raw trying to twist with it.

I was was going to leave it in for a month, since the hair wasn't cheap.... But I realized it could damage my natural hair.

Glad I took it out. I did better using Red Heart Soft yarn to get the marley twist look. A world of difference.
    You read my mind because the hair (Shake & Go) I bought wasn't great either. It wasn't soft at all, and "shake and go" is a joke. Once you seal the tips, it gets caught on the other twists and it SHEDS when you try to separate them. It doesn't help that my hair does not blend well with synthetic hair (you can tell the difference no matter what I do) and will STILL unravel from the twist. I'll have to A) stick to braids (because my hair won't unravel from them) and B) stick to yarn. Which I didn't want to do because yarn holds heat and it's finally starting to warm up here in NYC. I also have performances coming up and guess what style my hair is in most of my photos? *sigh* Can't win for losing....

10. Likes CoilyHairedBeauty liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's been almost 4 months since the undercut. Lately I've been alternating between the picked-out 'fro and what I'll call a half-wash-and-go and half-wash-stretch-and-go. For the latter, I wash and condition my hair the night before, apply leave-in, and then apply gel only to the top, which I then band in sections. In the morning, I'll spritz my back and sides and apply gel and then, if my top isn't dry, I'll sit under my bonnet dryer for 20 minutes. Because the sides and back are getting long, I got one of those wrap scarf-things to help flatten them out. Aside from using a razor to clean up my nape area, I haven't come near a blade in all this time.

So how come, as I'm ogling every BAA I see, and researching whether I have enough length to get braid extensions (my sister told me to go to an African braiding salon: "they can snatch up every last little inch!"), I run into an elderly lady who spends a good five minutes gushing about my "sharp cut"? *sigh* She says that same old line about "not everybody can wear their hair like that." I disagree -- I believe there's a "sharp cut" out here for every age and head shape -- but I kept that thought to myself.

She got me thinking: Why am I growing my hair out? Originally my answer was the same I always had in the past: I'm bored, I want to switch things up, do more styles, etc. But now I'm thinking that I can still switch things up without growing out my hair...if I'm willing to let go of some of my old style prejudices. One obvious example is wigs: I see SO MANY bad/cheap/wiggy wigs out here that they've largely soured me against wearing them. (Never mind the whole "I'm natural under this wig" thing...another topic...) I also have enough more than enough length on top to add extensions...the question is whether I'm willing to look like an aging punk rocker.

Anyway...random thoughts...
    Last edited by LBellatrix; 09-03-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast