Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pain from maintaining locs

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it's normal to have pain when maintaining your locs. I did a search on this and didn't come up with anything. I've had my locs for 6 years and always interlocked them myself. It was never really painless but nothing I couldn't deal with. A few months ago I began to develop chronic upper back pain. Trying to hold my arms up for six-plus hours really aggravated it. I got other people to do the last two maintenance sessions, but I very much prefer to do it myself. It's so expensive and uncomfortable. My back was getting better with treatment so I decided to try just doing one at a time this month. I still got pain pretty much as soon as I raised my arms.

So my question is if anyone else has dealt with this and if there's a good posture to use when doing your own hair or some kind of secret to not getting hurt. I get emotional every time I think about cutting my locs after so long but sometimes I feel like that's going to be my only choice.

Thank you for any comments or advice!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pain from maintaining locs

It sounds like you are having general back problems that are being exacerbated by raising your arms. Of course, you need to see a doctor about this.

As for your locks, if you really want to keep them, I would suggest you go to a loctician. Comparison shop for a good price and try to stretch out the time in between maintenance sessions. I go a full 8 wks between maintenance sessions and each session is less than 2 hours.

Good luck!!
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

3. Thanks looknow thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pain every...been latching 10 yrs.....I hope you're ok!? It sounds like some type cranial nerve damage .

5. Thanks looknow thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be okay, thanks! It's just weak back muscles and bad ergonomics that have added up, but I've been getting treatment for a while. I always assumed a small amount of pain when raising my arms for extended amounts of time was normal. Guess I should have taken it as a sign instead.

At this point I'm just hoping to find someone who can do the maintenance in a reasonable amount of time. The last two have taken 7-8 hours.. granted I have very thick hair and small locs.

7. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great,glad it worked out for ya.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by looknow View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it's normal to have pain when maintaining your locs. I did a search on this and didn't come up with anything. I've had my locs for 6 years and always interlocked them myself. It was never really painless but nothing I couldn't deal with. A few months ago I began to develop chronic upper back pain. Trying to hold my arms up for six-plus hours really aggravated it. I got other people to do the last two maintenance sessions, but I very much prefer to do it myself. It's so expensive and uncomfortable. My back was getting better with treatment so I decided to try just doing one at a time this month. I still got pain pretty much as soon as I raised my arms.

So my question is if anyone else has dealt with this and if there's a good posture to use when doing your own hair or some kind of secret to not getting hurt. I get emotional every time I think about cutting my locs after so long but sometimes I feel like that's going to be my only choice.

Thank you for any comments or advice!
    well don't do them so tight... how many locs do you have? combine some... I like the other ones... palm rolling- yo u don't have to do them so often- but sometimes when I do I have more than 125 locs...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics