Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy I want to straighten my hair

My mum won't let me though. I have had had my hair in cornrows since I was 2, I'm 15 now and I find it really embarrassing. All the other black girls in my school have weave/relaxed/straightened hair. My mum always says you're not white, blah blah blah. I have hair above waist (my mum knows nothing about natural hair) because my aunt buys me castor oil and conditioner and all that stuff.
    I actually cry sometimes, I just want to do my hair different because cornrows are horrible and I look horrible in them. She said (1 year ago) she will buy me hair straighteners but she hasn't.

What can I do?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I want to straighten my hair

We will leave the thread open because you seem to be sincerely looking for help. However, Nappturality is in agreement with your mom. We traditionally ban discussions on straightening, since Nappturality is about embracing you nap. There's many more places on line you can go for that type of support.

Village, please step in and help this sister embrace her napp. #thatsall
    #carryon
    Last edited by Moderator T; 01-12-2016 at 12:55 AM.
    Mod T
    Sr. NappRegulator

3. Thanks Fossor thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like the real reason you want to straighten your hair is because you haven't been able to explore your hair. Wearing it in one style gets boring (whether it's straight or cornrows). I suggest that you ask your aunt (who seems to know a thing or two about natural hair) for new styling tips. Is there any reason that your mother wouldn't allow you to do other natural styles? Sengalese twists are cute (especially with your length) or coils. Some large flexi rods can leave you with soft curls. The possibilities are literally endless...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many hair styles you can do. Here are some videos . Straightening may damage your hair if you do it too much!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had permed hair since age 4. Trust me, natural is better! It is so hard to have LONG hair that has been chemically straightened. I used to be obsessed with having "sleek" edges. Now, at age 34, I am LOVING my naps. They make me unique. Also, I see now how versatile nappy hair is, and I love that also. Care for natural hair isn't hard, it's just different. I will NEVER go back to perming my hair. All the times my scalp has been burned by relaxer...I even had hair loss when a beautician failed to rinse the relaxer out completely...2 weeks before my wedding. So many disasters. I know it's so difficult to be different sometimes, but get inspiration from the beautiful sisters on YouTube and Instagram. Love yourself, even when it's not the easiest thing to do. You are beautiful just as you are.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apart from the fact Nappturality doesn't allow threads on straightening hair, I think you'll be regretting it in a few months if you do. Whether you use chemicals or heat, the process of straightening is damaging to the condition of the hair. I'd also suggest you try youtubes (the one above looks good) and blogs as well as looking through this forum for ways to style loose natural hair. So much can be done with natural hair without the damage of heat or chemicals.

Any style will get boring it you have the same thing for years. I agree with the poster who suggested speaking to your aunt to help you out with new styles, if she's taken any interest in your hair care she may well hoping you'll ask when you're ready.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should tell your mom more about what you think about the hair